PDA

View Full Version : onya mate

pakeha-boy
15th Sep 2006, 18:15
Pilot lands on beach
16 September 2006
By KAY BLUNDELL

A pilot made a split-second decision to land on Paraparaumu Beach at dusk yesterday to avoid ploughing into houses near Paraparaumu airport.

Kevin Lloyd, of Gisborne, and two passengers escaped injury when Mr Lloyd landed the four-seater plane after the engine stopped as he approached the airport. People on the beach had to scatter as the plane coasted in.

Mr Lloyd was flying the Mooney M20 from Wellington to Gisborne at about 900ft when the engine started "running very rough" south of Paraparaumu.

He declared a mayday and the radar controller guided him over Kapiti Island to land at Paraparaumu.

The motor then stopped at 700ft on the approach, he said. "We did not have quite enough height to get to the runway because there were a lot of houses in the way so I elected to land on the beach – a few people scattered.

"It was pretty challenging – it was quite nice to get back in one piece. I am just glad we were not over rugged terrain and were able to be guided down. It made it pretty exciting for my passengers."

Passengers Tony and George Tuse praised Mr Lloyd. "It is not scary when you have a pilot like we did who just calmly said we were going to land on the beach", Tony Tuse said.

Police Sergeant Steve Kendrick said Mr Lloyd had made "a brilliant call" not to coast across the houses to land at the airport. "Because of his skill, no one was hurt."

The plane, owned by Gisborne airport chief executive Matt Todd, was towed to Paraparaumu Boating Club.

MOR...CLOUD....h1....this wasnt one of you blokes using a non-de-plume was it???

kiwiblue
18th Sep 2006, 02:32
Well handled.

Norwester
18th Sep 2006, 03:54
Awesome!! Glad everyone was ok.

I had a discussion at the weekend with friends asking what would they do in the event of an engine failure over a built up populated area. Some of the answers astounded me. In a CTR with an upper limit of 1500' you don't get a lot of time or height to think I'll just glide 'over there' to safety!

Cloud Cutter
18th Sep 2006, 20:56
Haha, not that I know of mate, although I have been known to sleepwalk.

Sounds like this guy did a great job, especially in a gliding brick! Although I gather it was 9000 ft for the flight rather than 900. You know you're good when you can pull that off without even worrying the punters too much.:ok:

haughtney1
18th Sep 2006, 21:18
Police Sergeant Steve Kendrick said Mr Lloyd had made "a brilliant call" not to coast across the houses to land at the airport. "Because of his skill, no one was hurt."

That pretty much rules me out PB...I possess no skill other than to manipulate an MCP panel:E Plus my next Hol's in Enzed arent till november:ok:

Top job Mr Mooney driver:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Healey 3000
20th Sep 2006, 02:56
The Official Word:
The Pilot in question was in IMC at 9000ft and didn't get visual until "around 1000ft". The engine stopped producing any useful power whatsoever and eventually stopped altogether at 400ft. Engine runs have been done and no more than 1000rpm was obtainable. A faulty fuel control unit has been suspected as the cause but not confirmed as of yet.

No damage to the aircraft whatsoever!

All in all, a good result for all concerned.:D

Healey