PDA

View Full Version : Dry/sore eyes & flying....

Elixir
15th Sep 2006, 13:13
Hi all

I recently (a few months ago) started a new job on the 737 and have since been suffering quite badly with my eyes.

Around half an hour into the flight they start feeling really dry and gritty and become quite red and bloodshot. I am using eye drops (usually Optrex) during and after the flight but they still look red. The whites have also started to look "dull" and I'm worried I am over sensitising them by using the drops. I dont wear contacts but do have sensitive eyes - I suffer in smoky environments etc.

Has anyone else suffered with this and found something to ease the soreness and redness? Also is it ok to be using eye drops every day? Is there anything I could change in my diet that could help and make the whites of my eyes whiter again? Any advice much appreciated as I really want to get this sorted.

Thanks

gingernut
15th Sep 2006, 14:30
Are they itchy ?

Elixir
15th Sep 2006, 20:38
Sometimes itchy but think thats just due to the dryness. When I use the eye drops my eyes sting so may try just using saline water and see if that helps, thanks.

fanatic1
15th Sep 2006, 21:06
Hi I'm an airport paramedic,

If your eyes feel tired, sore or gritty, you may have 'dry eyes', or ' (http://www.goodhope.org.uk/departments/eyedept/blepharitis.htm)blepharitis, or both. Dry eyes is a common problem as people get older, and in diabetes. The eyes may feel scratchy or gritty, as though there is something in them. They also be a little itchy, and they may be red. They may feel as though they are burning.
Your lashes may crust up and your eyes may stick, although these problems are more likely to be due to blepharitis: Dry eyes and blepharitis often occur together.

Blepharitis:
In this condition there is a problem with the eyelids ..... the glands in the eyelids block and become slightly inflamed. These tiny glands normally make chemicals that help the tears to spread evenly across the surface of the eye.
But when the glands block they do not produce these chemicals, and so the tears do not spread evenly. This makes the eyes sore.
This is 'blepharitis', and your ophthalmologist can advise if you have this condition. It is usually not at all serious, and various treatments may help.

These are:
unblocking the glands in the eyelid, which may be infected and inflamed, like acne on the face or a tiny boil by lidcleaning

replacing the tears if the eyes are dry with lubricants(dry eyes and blepharitis may occur together: see below).

treating any infection present with antibiotic cream

tablets: to treat infection and reduce the inflammation using antibiotic tablets.1 Lid Cleaning

Soak some cotton wool in warm (almost hot) water. Rub the cotton wool over the closed eyelids for 2-3 minutes, and repeat. Then clean the edge of the lower eyelid with a cotton bud to remove scales and debris on the edge of the eyelid.
Move the cotton bud along the eyelid, using a mirror, and pulling the lid away from the eyeball with the fingers of the other hand. Rub the edge of the lid gently.

The warm bathing helps to soften up the scales first. It is preferable to boil the water first to sterilise it, and allow it to cool a little so it is almost hot. May be add a drop or two of baby shampoo into the cleaning solution; this may help clear the glands more effectively. It may be two weeks for any improvement. Bathe 2-3 times a day, gradually reducing the frequency of bathing as the eyes become more comfortable (although bathing does not help everyone). It is safe to stop cleaning, but you may need to start again if the condition returns.
This product has been recommended by many patients: Lid Care, Novartis

2 Lubricants

Lubricants can helpful to both assist the spread of your own tears and lubricate the eye, and replace tears if you have ‘dry eyes’.
gels such as ‘Gel Tears’ or ‘Viscotears’ are usually helpful

drops such as ‘Sno-tears’ may help.
if the eyes remain sore, preservative-free artificial tears may help. These are particularly useful for people with very dry eyes. Because they have no preservative they can be used more often, even every half-hour, without damaging your eyes. One example is 'Minims' tears: the ampoules (mini-bottles) contain about 14 drops, and may last a day with practice. They are moderately expensive. These products are harmless: try and see if they help. You can buy them, but if you need them regularly they can be obtained on prescription.

3 Antibiotic Cream

If the cleaning is not helpful, in addition your eyes may feel more comfortable if you use antibiotic ointment. Your GP will need to prescribe it. Try it for 3 months (chloromycetin or fucithalmic). Sometimes the condition returns once the ointment is stopped, and you may need a repeat prescription from your GP. Some people benefit using the cream intermittently.

4 Antibiotic tabletsThis treatment is sometimes useful if the other treatments do not work. It is particularly effective if you have a skin condition, such as acne rosacea, or very dry skin, or if the edge of your eyelid stays red with many scales.

Antibiotic tablets are NOT suitable for everyone, particularly if you use several other tablets or have stomach problems. You will need to discuss this treatment with your GP first. Oxytetracycline 250mg twice daily is usually used for 3 months, but not if pregnant.
Alternatives include doxcycline 50mg once daily [or erythromycin].
The benefit lasts several months after the treatment is stopped, but you may need to use further courses if the condition returns.

Please check it out with your GP first.

Oh my hands are so sore from typing! Hope it helps!
Sorry for the long post.

Fanatic1

Loose rivets
16th Sep 2006, 08:23
I agree ‘Sno-tears' are good. A couple of quid for a little bottle that will last ages. Maybe in the current climate you should get a script!!!

Do not take any notice of 'take 4 times a day' type of advice. Every few minutes to get the ball rolling.*

If you try this first, it may be that you will find any other symptoms will clear up.

I would think that gels are likely to smear just at a critical moment while flying. They can be very tedious in that respect.

I will tell you what I did, but this is typical of me, better have someone else do this if it becomes necessary. I got a sterile pipette with a smooth end and fitted a plastic tube to it. I then sucked gently at and around the outlet of the tear producing gland. The results were good and in no time I did not need the Sno-tears. However, I was diagnosed as having dry eyes, and always carry some-such product with me.

*This was after weeks of pain and several visits to my GP. Two doctors there did not know about dry eyes!! and I took myself off to a very expensive visit to an eye surgeon. Hence the formal diagnosis.