PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Piaggio

XEMS
14th Sep 2006, 20:21
Just heard my principal is considering a Piaggio Avanti. Know nothing about them except what I've read in a few of the rags. Fast, high, roomy, quiet, doesn't like crosswinds. Anybody got more information? Curios as to support and any maint. issues. Currently in a PC-12 that we are stretching limits of cabin comfort for the boss.

Thanks

SNS3Guppy
7th Oct 2006, 06:47
The Piaggio is spacious, relatively speaking, for the rear four seats. Typical cabin configuration has two side-facing seats forward, one by the door, and a bench seat that fits two facing the door. These are cramped. The lav has plenty of room, but segregates someone sitting there.

The airplane is relatively quiet, but not nearly so much as is advertised. The quietness of the cabin has more to do with reduction of wind noise than the aft facing engines.

Wind noise from the door seal is a perpetual problem, especially in the winter.

Checking the oil requires climbing up on the wing, removing 15 special internally-threaded expensive screws, removing a panel, then unscrewing a cannon plug from the dipstick, and finally checking the locking dipstick.

External baggage is nice. Weak latch and locking mechanism.

Expensive carbon fibre brakes, no antiskid, and they get touchy when they get warm. Won't hold when they're cold. Hard to get replacements or overhaul.

Parts availability can be an issue.

Flies nice. Not bad single engine performance for a light turboprop twin. 500-1,000 fpm.

pascualito
8th Oct 2006, 09:28
Just heard my principal is considering a Piaggio Avanti. Know nothing about them except what I've read in a few of the rags. Fast, high, roomy, quiet, doesn't like crosswinds. Anybody got more information? Curios as to support and any maint. issues. Currently in a PC-12 that we are stretching limits of cabin comfort for the boss.

Thanks

Hi There,

If the Piaggio is considered, you should also have a look at this one:

www.grobspn.com (http://www.grobspn.com)

It's the closest thing to a Pilatus with 2 jet engines.

Have fun!

XEMS
9th Oct 2006, 15:41
I've been keeping an eye on the Grob. But it is still a while away from certification, and the boss has said (and rightly so in my mind) that he will never by the "A" model of any aircraft, so that will tack another year or two onto the timeline. Of course time will tell if we ever leave the good old Pilatapus.