PDA

View Full Version : BOAC/BA changeover, legacy benefits

ZQA297/30
14th Sep 2006, 11:37
Does anybody know, or have an idea where to find, what happened to retiree/redundancy benefits during the changeover from BOAC to BA.

We are facing something that is somewhat like, but not exactly the same as, that situation.

BWIA is changing from BWIA to Caribbean Airlines on 31 Dec 2006, and all contracts EXCEPT labour contracts are being carried over. There are redundancies coming, and many of them will have 25 to 30 years service, which qualified them for limited rebated travel. Retirees, who already are qualified, are also uncertain of their position going forward.
It would be useful to have some background on similar situations to know how to best protect whatever can be protected.
All pertinent info would be greatly appreciated.

NG_Kaptain
16th Sep 2006, 05:42
ZQA its scorched earth, only some will benefit. I believe the only way is by getting on the management team. You can plan on no travel benefits in the new company, as far as I can see only one retired pilot will qualify for rebated free travel (and he and family will be in FC). Texaco probably looks after their people better.
Cheers.
Happiness is working DLC's and brakes that don't overheat in TAPA :)

ZQA297/30
16th Sep 2006, 11:58
:ok: NG, someone PMd some stuff on Canadian, plus TWA and Braniff, but the BOAC/BA arrangement would still be of great interest.

bluepilot
16th Sep 2006, 14:39
Its a long time ago but from what i was told BEA/BOAC already had the same pension arrangements (airways pension scheme), the seniority lists were merged, there are always complaints about seniority issues in these mergers. In those days these airlines were government owned and were merged to form BA for efficiency reasons and so most people were treated fairly and equally. Since this time BA has taken over and swallowed other airlines and the terms of the "integrations" have varied but in general the aquired party have always come out worse (see threads regarding City Express / BAR). It is a difficult time for employees and i wish you all the best for the future.

ZQA297/30
17th Sep 2006, 00:24
Thanks Blue, appreciated.

NG_Kaptain
20th Sep 2006, 17:49
Will the new entity honour old travel agreements?