PDA

View Full Version : CAA Medical Department - Long Delays

tiggermoth
14th Sep 2006, 09:55
Has anybody experienced long delays in getting a response from the CAA medical department?

I had an initial medical, but the AME was concerned over a matter, so referred it to the CAA. Four weeks later I rang them up, and they said that "a letter had been dictated, and was awaiting typing" - I said "Great, so I should get it tomorrow then?". Their reply was that it can take weeks for a dictated letter to be typed. They also would not tell me the content of the letter due to "patient confidentiality". Two weeks later I got a letter, asking for more information from my GP. (That's a six weeks wait).

I then went to see my AME, and he got the required information from my GP, and sent it straight away to the CAA. Now four weeks have passed, and still nothing from the CAA. I've rung them up, and they keep saying "ring next week - they haven't got to that bundle of correspondence yet".... so that wil be another four weeks or so...

Now don't get me on the subject of dictation and typing pools (I didn't know they still existed).

Has anybody else had experience of delays from the CAA medical team? Is there any way of speeding the process up? Is it just not possible at all to learn of the decision over the phone - or can an AME ring up and get the information?

Aaaaargh,
TiggerMoth

aftab
14th Sep 2006, 22:52
hey tiggermoth, i have had the exact same said to me, lol, they really are taking their time.

tiggermoth
15th Sep 2006, 21:39
I reminds me of a cast iron sign in my local pub that says "Free Beer Tomorrow". Whenever I've gone in the next day to claim my free pint, they point to the sign, smile, and say - as the sign says, it's *tomorrow* you can get the free beer...

Did they ever get back to you with your medical, or are you still waiting?

SD.
16th Sep 2006, 12:21
I've had similar delays, I even dropped by the CAA last week (I was at the airport picking family up) to see 'wtf' was going on with my application.

Last Monday they told me to my face that the letter was being typed up and will be sent out later that afternoon. Tues, Weds, Thurs goes by so I phoned them again yesterday (Friday) and apparently the letter is still being typed up.

Now if I was working for an airline, this would of been a nice couple of months off work. :rolleyes:

tiggermoth
19th Sep 2006, 11:14
Another week has passed again, and again told to ring next week...

'Chuffer' Dandridge
19th Sep 2006, 13:31
Write to the Chairman, Sir Roy McNulty...It's not an acceptable delay unless they have a very good reason:=

tiggermoth
22nd Sep 2006, 23:31
I've now finally had my medical looked at and passed. :ok:

If anybody can think of a system that will speed up the system then they should be awarded a medal.