PDA

View Full Version : Health and career? / National differences?

Eisvogel
14th Sep 2006, 08:53
Ahoy, ye airfarers.

I´m having a bit of a troubled mind... looking for people who know the business well enough to help me with my decision.
Needless to say, I have this old dream of becoming a pilot. Now, at 29, I do have loans and funding figured out, so I am willing to take the big step for that matter.

But there is one problem making it a tough decision: I have a chronic disease. It is not restricting me in terms of piloting, and it is unlikely that it will worsen. My flight doc told me I am very likely to pass a class 1 medical inspite of it.

Anyway, it might still be an individual decision, with a couple of tests beyond a normal medical procedure.

So that raises some questions.

I am generally inassure about what to expect from medical personnel and buerocracy. Of course I do not expect them to just wave me through... I can see the responsibility, so it´s fine with me that they will check me an extra time to make sure I´m fit for the job.

But: on the other hand, this is not a one-time issue but will be with me for my whole future career, so I want to be able to rely on general good will (again: within the measures of good common sense, of course). Meaning that I would like to know whether I can expect to be treated in a "we know it´s your carreer, you should be able to pursue it, and we will only ground you if it´s really unavoidable"-manner - or if the general tendency among doctors and officials is more like "flying is a privilege, and we will not take any chances with you".

Get my point? Do they have to prove I´m not fit, or do I have to prove that I am? Are they receptionists or bouncers? ;-)

Considering the investment, I have to come to terms with that before I get all that debt on my back. I can live with a closer look every time around, and with the possibility of sheer bad luck if the disease should worsen - but not with having to fear for my career every 6 or 12 months, because of a hostile tendency among those making the decision.

Question no. 2 is about national differences in handling the medical restrictions. I am German myself, but living in Denmark, so my options are both the German-speaking (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) and the Scandinavian job market (Denmark, Sweden, Norway). I might consider UK/Ireland as well.

So far, I have the impression that the German way is very much "flying is a privilege and you have to be one of the chosen ones" - not so much on the doctors´side, but definitely the authorities´, so I feel that the risk of having to deal with hardliners is not minor in my home country.
Do any of you have experience with the Sccandinavian way? And of course the UK and Ireland, I guess there must be a whole bunch of you flying there.

Or am I just worrying too much?!

General comments on the issue are welcome - and I´d be happy for all answers to my questions.
Thank you.

Flyin'Dutch'
22nd Sep 2006, 00:34
Eisvogel,

Don't worry too about the doctors and authorities. Most will be only too pleased to try and get you in the saddle.

Yes, there are rules and hurdles to be taken on the way to passing your medical etc.

More important is the decision whether you want to invest in a career that can be ended by the stroke of a pen if you develop a disqualifying condition.

If you have a chronic condition that maybe of even more significance.

Consider that it would be devastating if you invest all that money and lose your medical soon after passing your ATPLs. Loss of licence insurance may well be difficult and expensive to obtain and probably exclude any pre-existing conditions.

First step would be to find out what the likely outcome of your chronic condition is in the long run. Then go and get a first class medical and consider your options.

Best of luck

FD

gingernut
22nd Sep 2006, 09:15
Eisvogel, would it be worth exploiting the anonyminity of this forum, and asking other pilots suffering from your condition, what their experiences have been? (or maybe try running a search), good luck.

Eisvogel
27th Sep 2006, 07:20
Thank you both - I guess IŽll take a shot and ask on this board.

obgraham
28th Sep 2006, 20:57
Eisvogel, why not go right to the authority: find an aviation medical examiner, make an appointment, go in without applying for anything just for a consultation, and review your situation with him/her. Then you'll know.

precession
29th Sep 2006, 04:09
Question no. 2 is about national differences in handling the medical restrictions.

These can be significant in terms of cost, but should not at the end of the test produce a different result.

For example, JAA/old CAA class I, no issues yada yada.......... Current CASA Class I, loads of ECG/Bruce protocol testing, bloods and so forth............same answer, difference ? about 1K aussie.

someone's making money somewhere...........and it ain't me