PDA

View Full Version : SMH story - Jetstar to fly to Hawaii from Dec 27

Taildragger67
13th Sep 2006, 15:38
From SMH, 14 Sep 06 http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Jetstar-to-fly-to-Hawaii-from-Dec-27/2006/09/13/1157827024244.html

Jetstar to fly to Hawaii from Dec 27
September 13, 2006 - 11:19PM

Qantas Airways' low cost carrier Jetstar will start flying to Hawaii from Sydney and Melbourne from late December.

Jetstar will make the journey to Honolulu from Sydney three times a week, beginning on December 27, and from Melbourne two times a week with that service commencing on December 29.

Jetstar is launching an online sale on tickets for the new route with prices starting from $249 one-way, but all-inclusive everyday online one-way fares will be $579 from Sydney and $599 from Melbourne.

All Jetstar long-haul international services will have a Qantas codeshare arrangement.

Jetstar also plans to serve five other international destinations directly from Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane: Phuket, Ho Chi Minh City, Bali, Osaka and Bangkok, with the first flight to Bangkok from Melbourne scheduled for November 23.

Going Boeing
14th Sep 2006, 00:07
So this would indicate that Jet* have (or expect to have) 180 mins ETOPS approval. I thought that that decision hadn't been made yet?

rmcdonal
14th Sep 2006, 00:19
All Jetstar long-haul international services will have a Qantas codeshare arrangement.

Not to sure, but doesn’t that mean that if you book a flight with Jetstar you could actually be on a Qantas Flight? And vise versa ?

Friction Nut
14th Sep 2006, 01:13
A short reply slightly off the topic. Has Jetstar started recruiting cruise first officers for this long haul business or are they just going to use FO's. Can anyone shed some light.

Pimp Daddy
14th Sep 2006, 01:17
Not to sure, but doesn’t that mean that if you book a flight with Jetstar you could actually be on a Qantas Flight? And vise versa ?

Nope - Jetstar flights have Qantas codeshare flight numbers as well, no Jetstar codeshare on Qantas operated flights.

If you book and pay jetstar you get Jetstar, if you book and pay Qantas, you can end up with jetstar anyway, what a good deal.

DutchRoll
14th Sep 2006, 01:28
Certainly there's increasing evidence that Dixon pretty much wants to cull all but a few Qantas mainline routes in favour of Jetstar. Which will make it interesting when there's the inevitable economic downturn/recession/high interest rates/another terrorist attack/bird flu and all the 'leisure' or bargain-hunting travellers stop travelling.

I'm starting to really wish I could reach retirement age a whole lot quicker (with the accompanying super payout)!

ShesGreatintheGalley
14th Sep 2006, 15:21
we're a bit like an disease that is slowly spreading over the globe.. the thought actually reminds me of those maps that showed how the Third Reich spread over Europe... except we are doing it in an orange colour.

Condition lever
15th Sep 2006, 05:02
Going Boeing,

Pretty sure you can do HNL without a 180 ETOPS requirement, track options somewhat limited though.

While I'm sure CASA still has to approve the operator, doesn't the 330 come off the production line with 180 mins ETOPS?

Over to you.

Enema Bandit's Dad
15th Sep 2006, 06:50
And the big question is.... Who is going to crew them?

ratpoison
15th Sep 2006, 12:00
we're a bit like an disease that is slowly spreading over the globe.. the thought actually reminds me of those maps that showed how the Third Reich spread over Europe... except we are doing it in an orange colour
Amazing how many d**kheads are still in this industry. !!!:rolleyes:

Going Boeing
15th Sep 2006, 13:13
And the big question is.... Who is going to crew them?

I believe that they have encouraged enough Aussies back from O/S to crew the first four aircraft (ie the ex QF mainline ones). Of course these guys are being paid a sh1tload more than what the JPG negotiated ie similar money to mainline A330 pilots.

Pretty sure you can do HNL without a 180 ETOPS requirement, track options somewhat limited though..

If every airport is above Wx criteria you might be able to do it with 120mins however, with 180 mins you can provide the consistency of service required under IATA regs. Remember, Johnston Is is no longer available so there is now a huge gap. :suspect:

podbreak
16th Sep 2006, 04:07
Going Boeing, good question. And how could they have possibly gotten approval that quickly? Sounds dodgy to me, perhaps QF will be crewing the flights and they'll be flying under QF AOC until J* gets ETOPs. Remeber how long it took mainline to get ETOPs (180) approval for the A330! And I'm pretty sure you need it for HNL

ShesGreatintheGalley
16th Sep 2006, 06:59
Amazing how many d**kheads are still in this industry. !!!:rolleyes:

umm.. what is your point? i dont see how that relates to my post. sorry!

7378FE
16th Sep 2006, 07:11
Got one of those $249 promotional fares to HNL from MEL, credit card billed to Jetstar Airways PTY LTD , Singapore.

Who is actually operating this service? JQ Aust. or JQ Asia under a lease arrangement:rolleyes:

ShesGreatintheGalley
17th Sep 2006, 04:28
the hawaii flights are most def. JQ Australia operated.. unless they cant get their **** sorted then i spose they might get JQ Asia to step in at last minute but i dontthink thats likely.

Chimbu chuckles
17th Sep 2006, 04:54
I would suggest the airfare was billed to J* Asia to keep as much as possible of the revenue out of the ATO's pockets.

J* Asia don't operate widebody, long haul aircraft so until you see a whole swag of their aircrew in sim training I doubt they will be flying to PHNL from Australia.:ugh:

justanotheraviator
17th Sep 2006, 09:13
I believe that to go YSSY - PHNL on 120 min etops you would have to go way south of the normal tracks to get within 120 minutes of Christmas Island. With the huge problem of not being able to go if that one airport is not available. At least with 180 minutes you only have to rely on one of three airports being available.

AndDee
18th Sep 2006, 09:31
Hmm my credit card was billed

JETSTAR AIRWAYS PTY LTD MELBOURNE VIC

BUt i booked over the phone :)