PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar

Pages : [1] 2

TightSlot
13th Sep 2006, 08:45
The Jetstar Thread

pinklemonae
13th Sep 2006, 10:01
Who is attending the Monday interview next week?

ShesGreatintheGalley
14th Sep 2006, 15:00
sorry but i just have to comment out of hillarity... why is it that since the company have released the details for the International conditions, and the AWAs etc... there have meen no more comments in the Jetstar threads? Have people actually lost interest?

priapism
14th Sep 2006, 21:22
Probably because the thousands of wannabes out there think it's an acceptable deal.

Fingers Crossed
14th Sep 2006, 22:33
As terrible as this may sound I would never be that desperate to work for them. The bad pay, the cleaning the aircraft after, the blah uniform. I don't find it appealing at all, maybe there is career progression but it's a long long long way away and too work for peanuts, for pax that pay peanuts. Not for me. In saying that though goodluck to anyone who is pursuing a flying career with them. :ouch:

RaverFlaver
15th Sep 2006, 00:29
I though Jetstar's airfares would be cheaper.....

For examlple, Flight Centre has a deal for $1099 to Phuket including 6 nights accommation and transfers.

Otherwise you can book just the airfare with Jetstar for $814.

So for an extra $285 you get 6 nights accommodation, airport transfers, full service airline (meal, blanket and pillow, free entertainment and can earn ff points).

I fail to see the huge savings you get flying Jetstar when you consider you still need to purchase accommodation on top of your airfare.

RaverFlaver :)

pinklemonae
15th Sep 2006, 07:07
Hi

How many candidates typically attend a jetstar domestic recruitment day?

Just wondering..

Thank you :)

Braniff
15th Sep 2006, 07:40
Well finally ive got some news today...Read on!

Dear Fletcher,

Thank you for your recent application and subsequent participation in our Selection Process for the position of Cabin Crew.

We were extremely fortunate to receive a large number of suitably qualified applicants. Following a review of your application, I regret to advise that on this occasion you have been unsuccessful.

I would like to thank you for your interest in the company and effort involved in applying and participating in the selection process. We wish you well in your future endeavors.

Yours sincerely,

Janine Michailidis
Resource Coordinator
Cabin Crew

At least you all know now what your unsuccessful emails will look like.

Seventh time around. Never again. Im over this goddamn game.

flyoneday
15th Sep 2006, 07:54
Braniff,
I know how it feels to be unsuccessful but even though it was your 7th time, i would urge you not to give up.
Am sure there are several other airlines that you can also apply.
go on,,,,,,,,keep your head up and try,try till you get!!!

~
flyoneday :ok:

FlyBoyBne
16th Sep 2006, 02:25
Hi all, Just wondering if anyone has actually had offers of Jobs with JetStar International for Sydney Base? All seems to have gone very quiet and I for one am still in the dark. Referees were contacted some weeks ago and still no news.

:hmm:

ShesGreatintheGalley
16th Sep 2006, 07:08
there are sydney morning teas happening start next week for JQ domestic.. i know that much.
some JQ crew are accepting the JQI agreement... some not.
thats about all i know.
Oct is going to be a disaster in crew planning.. with CM upgrades, JQI training for current JQ crew etc.. nothing decided and/or accepted yet and the Oct rosters should have been done by now! will be interesting! dont expect to get many requests!

pinklemonae
16th Sep 2006, 09:11
Hi

How many candidates typically attend a jetstar domestic recruitment day?

Just wondering..

Does anyone know? Thanks :)

star84
17th Sep 2006, 23:44
hey pinklemonae

Usually there are about 30-50 candidates, depending on how many recruiters they have, as there is about 1-2 recruiters for each table of ten.

Dont let that worry you though, cause all you have to do is be yourself, and you will be fine!!

pinklemonae
18th Sep 2006, 04:03
hey pinklemonae

Usually there are about 30-50 candidates, depending on how many recruiters they have, as there is about 1-2 recruiters for each table of ten.

Dont let that worry you though, cause all you have to do is be yourself, and you will be fine!!

Thanks!

Was only about 15 there today :)

Fingers Crossed
18th Sep 2006, 06:28
How did you go today? I hope it was better than the Eastern one, or was it similar. All the best of luck though.

pinkus
18th Sep 2006, 07:41
I though Jetstar's airfares would be cheaper.....
For examlple, Flight Centre has a deal for $1099 to Phuket including 6 nights accommation and transfers.
Otherwise you can book just the airfare with Jetstar for $814.
So for an extra $285 you get 6 nights accommodation, airport transfers, full service airline (meal, blanket and pillow, free entertainment and can earn ff points).
I fail to see the huge savings you get flying Jetstar when you consider you still need to purchase accommodation on top of your airfare.

I know what you mean. I just saw an ad for Honolulu ONE way FROM $579. You always see Hawaii + accomodation deals for $1000 and under

pinklemonae
18th Sep 2006, 09:03
How did you go today? I hope it was better than the Eastern one, or was it similar. All the best of luck though.

Went well :)

Probably the best recruitment day I've been too. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a call back!

RedTBar
19th Sep 2006, 00:27
To those crew already flying for J* and those who are or have applied for J* Long Haul,has the company told you about conditions for Long Haul flights.

Things like crew rest seats,overtime,hotel accomodation,slip times,allowances hour limitations..that sort of thing.

pinkus
19th Sep 2006, 05:23
Went well :)

Probably the best recruitment day I've been too. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a call back!

How can you know the conditions and listen to what people have said on these forums and still want to work there?
People like you accepting these conditions are partially to blame for the appalling conditions for most Australian cabin crew.
Sheesh have some dignity and at least PRETEND you don't want to work for them.

pinklemonae
19th Sep 2006, 05:53
Has anyone been to a Jetstar morning tea and can tell me what its like?

Thanks.

RedTBar
19th Sep 2006, 07:34
I wonder if any of these posts supposedly from people going through the application process are actually people in the office making it look like it's a great idea...because no one seems to be posting any of the conditions of Scrooge Air ...

Mr Seatback 2
19th Sep 2006, 09:08
Conditions for JQI as follows:

Able to be rostered 152 hours in 28 day roster with 8 days off
You can be used on your days off
Min rest of 12 hours...increases as duty exceeds 12 hours (eg 15 hr duty = 15 hrs rest). This is in slip ports AND at home base.
No min number of nights at home base following any duty
No daily overtime
No overtime for CSM's except where they exceed 152 hours in 28 day period, and that is at time and a half
No annual leave loading whilst on annual leave
Crew have to pay for all passports, visas, etc
No provision for crew rest seats on board in the AWA
CSM's perform line training, team base management (sick leave meetings, etc) for lower base wage than JQ domestic CM's
Airport standby does not count towards daily duty hour limitations (eg. 5 hours at airport, used for SYD-DPS-SYD duty = 20 hours effectively, but 'technically' only 15 hours actual duty performed)

These are just some of the edited highlights of JQI.

RedTBar
19th Sep 2006, 09:20
Thanks for that info Mr SeatBack 2....
Well with those T & C's I imagaine a flood of people lining up for interviews....come to think about it ,the sad part is that there probably is...I can't wait to hear what the pay being offered is..or lack of and I thought the conditions for QFUK were crook

304 hours possible per 56 day day block..mmmmm Can you imagine the conversation in the galley (The only place apart from the toliets and flight deck you can go to have a break) on a HNL trip.."Fred,what are you going to do during our 14 hour slip,after we have cleaned the aircraft I mean"..."Ohh I'm going to sleep because I only had one night off after my last trip and this was an early sign on"

jetstarFA
19th Sep 2006, 09:46
:ugh: :zzz: Gee Whiz,,,, GIVE ME AN APPLICATION FORM.......:ugh: :ugh: I would like to also donate my kidneys heart and liver and feel free to have the soul thrown in......

FOOLS if you take it people

RedTBar
20th Sep 2006, 05:09
After a $10 million profit in the last financial year ,J* has just announced a $5 million advertising deal to sponsor the new ARL team on the Gold Coast .The new club will be called the J* Titans....No bad to spend 50% of your profit on a sponsorship deal...I'd like to know if any of the money came from QF...

Emster
20th Sep 2006, 05:48
Hi Everyone

Just wondering if you guys/gals had any tips on getting through the assesment days with Jetstar. I know i read a lot of stuff about how bad it is to work for them, but this is my first interview with airline. I just really want a job.
The assessment day is in Brisbane on the 29th. Has anyone else been invited?

Emster

justsmile!
20th Sep 2006, 22:23
apply for MAM-its a Qantas Shorthaul flight attendant position. You will work 80 per month minimum but will probably work way over that. You will fly all over Australia and Asia. The money is great. What I'm trying to say is, keep your options open, as Jetstar isn't your only ticket into the airline industry. Obviously there are people around that work for MAM who are are bitter and twisted about not having a "fulltime" position as such, and not being eligible for staff travel, but I have really enjoyed my time there. If you are interested go to the website and apply there.

www.mam.net.au (http://www.mam.net.au)

Good luck with your flying career!

Wingletts
20th Sep 2006, 23:16
hi guys after 5weeks of waiting i finally got my "thanks, but no thanks email yesterday"...

is there no method in their madness...some people are still waiting to hear after one interview,some after two...bad public relations exercise for a start up airline.

i'm not really that dissapointed...have seen the best days of my aviation career and it was a million times better than back yard asia airlines will ever be ...

good luck to all the hopefuls though..I hope you guys wont be used and abused..

FlyBoyBne
21st Sep 2006, 09:35
Hi Wingletts, I am in the same boat as you. The frustrating thing for me is that I am passionate about the role of Cabin Crew and when working for another airline - received letters weekly from managers and pax for work well done. All I can say is that it is the airline that eventually suffers. This is my 5th rejection in about 4 years. I had to resign to accommodate my partners Medical Career, now it is my turn.....oh well......one day!

All the best to the rest, and perhaps we are actually the lucky ones considering the terms and conditions I am seeing here.

Sylphie
21st Sep 2006, 12:03
I went for a Recruitment day w/ JQ Domestic back in July. Whilst I believe I was treated well enough re: the whole e-reply scenario I was a little disappointed in the actual events of the day and the unprofessionalism of the "recruitment team". They really should invest some interest in hiring [or [I]utilising] some form of a HR team. People trained to work with people and get as close as possible to their real personality without forming a biased or judgemental opinion.

The woman I was interviewed by was a Cabin Supervisor [or what not] and was a wall of thick, cold ice. She had no ability in displaying interest in your personality and freely expressed boredom with your application. She was like this with a few of the people I discussed this with. I sometimes think that I may have gotten further with another interviewer, however having the opportunity to interview again in 4 months I will not be applying to JQ again. If that's the type of supervisor you'll be working in a cabin with I'd rather not. What an old drone.

Just my thoughts. :suspect:

flitegirl
22nd Sep 2006, 23:22
apply for MAM-its a Qantas Shorthaul flight attendant position.....

just beware with MAM, there's no holiday pay and no sick leave entitlements. ie you don't work, you don't earn. And they tell you when to take your annual leave.

indamiddle
26th Sep 2006, 05:25
hi to braniff and others who were unsuccessful.
don't give up!
9 applications before i made it.
a guy i know made it after 12 and got into ansett (oops)
i know it is depressing after each knockback but eventually
you will get interviewers who are totally bored/hungover/drugged out
or just plain impressed with your persistence
after 15 years hate management....love my job!

don't forget qf regionals, most have a career progression scheme
to shorthaul

pinklemonae
26th Sep 2006, 05:50
^^ Great advice!

How often do people get through the medical and security checks and then are knocked back? Just interested...

OzyOS
28th Sep 2006, 13:55
Seems like J* are intentionally not hiring F/A's that are already experienced.....Very strange to me, especially if you were already Qantas Crew for nearly 5 years in the past and in a training position!

I hate to think what will become of this half-hearted airline :uhoh:

Cheers:p

jetstarFA
28th Sep 2006, 14:01
Everyone whinges about how bad JQI will be and how bad JQ dom is yet time and time again people apply for it... Do you really think it will change when you get there... Because it wont.....

Consider a career change

ShesGreatintheGalley
29th Sep 2006, 05:13
Seems like J* are intentionally not hiring F/A's that are already experienced.....Very strange to me, especially if you were already Qantas Crew for nearly 5 years in the past and in a training position!

I hate to think what will become of this half-hearted airline :uhoh:

of course they dont want more experienced crew! they want to get rid of us 'old schoolers' as it is.. hiring ex AO/QF/VB crew will only bring into the mix MORE people who are only too aware how the conditions are being erroded.
If your young or old (they dont really care cos they like a mix) but you have NO flying experience, and pref. a sales background, you have a pretty good chance.

pinklemonae
29th Sep 2006, 05:33
I find it interesting that cabin crew an ex CC walk into interviews and assume that they will get the job.

Very interesting.

OzyOS
29th Sep 2006, 08:32
pinklemonae: Ofcourse you would assume that experience within this field would help you a bit, nothing interesting about it...common sense? Why do you think that alot of airlines advertise in their requirements that previous experience can be a plus? Unfortunately it seems that JQI dont really see it this way.

Fingers Crossed
29th Sep 2006, 08:54
I find it interesting that cabin crew an ex CC walk into interviews and assume that they will get the job.

Very interesting.

I understand what you're saying pinklemonae :)

I was at an interview recently ;) and some ex cabin crew did swan on in like they had it in the bag, it was quite annoying though and I think would show in the interview itself. :p

OzyOS
29th Sep 2006, 09:09
Fingers Crossed: Its a shame that you were under this impression regarding ex CC. Are you sure they were "Swanning" or did they just have an air of confidence about them? The only thing that being ex CC can help you with is that the company are 100% aware that you are aware of what is required of you in this position, as for many.. its not for them.

What happens when you get a job as CC then a few years decide to change to another airline and the people at the interviews (who are non-CC) say the same thing about you....would you think a bit of jealousy might be in there?

Granted there may be a few that this job goes straight to their heads (as in any career), but there are also alot of current and ex CC that are lovely and humble people who just want to work as you do.

I am NOT trying to cause waves here, just trying to make sure this thread doesnt turn into some cat-fight.

Fingers Crossed
29th Sep 2006, 09:14
^^^^^

No they WERE swanning and truly no jealousy involved. Like I said SOME ex CC were acting superior, definitely not all of them though. :)

OzyOS
29th Sep 2006, 09:43
Great...glad we cleared that up :)

Best of luck with your interview process and chosen career

pinkus
29th Sep 2006, 09:49
^^^^^
No they WERE swanning and truly no jealousy involved. Like I said SOME ex CC were acting superior, definitely not all of them though. :)

Well sorry to say this but ex cc are superior in terms of suitability for a cabin crew position.

If I were a recruiter I would be a lot more interested in someone who is aware of what the position entails and has obviously enjoyed the job as they are still in the field. As opposed to some one who is probably fresh out of high school and "Just wants to be an air hostess"

Pink lemonae I think it is more interesting that a company like Jetstar DOESN'T want experienced crew flying for them. All the better to pull the wool over the inexperienced peoples eyes eh?

Fingers Crossed
29th Sep 2006, 10:10
As opposed to some one who is probably fresh out of high school and "Just wants to be an air hostess"
Pink lemonae I think it is more interesting that a company like Jetstar DOESN'T want experienced crew flying for them. All the better to pull the wool over the inexperienced peoples eyes eh?

Whatever :rolleyes:

OzyOS
29th Sep 2006, 10:34

Very True...unfortunately the industry just isnt what it use to be

Fingers Crossed
29th Sep 2006, 22:45
How can you know the conditions and listen to what people have said on these forums and still want to work there?
People like you accepting these conditions are partially to blame for the appalling conditions for most Australian cabin crew.
Sheesh have some dignity and at least PRETEND you don't want to work for them.

Then why would experienced cabin crew want to work for them :confused:

OzyOS
30th Sep 2006, 03:55
^^^
Because there arent too many options in Australia...are there? And once one airline catches on to these work conditions its only a matter of time before the all do (and believe me, thay are trying)....Qantas only recruit through MAM now....and like I said before, we just want to work like you do (as the actual Job, which we are fully aware of, we enjoy) but the options are sadly limited and have been declining since early 2000...hope that answers your question

Also you will find that once you start to fly for any airline, there will always be some conditions you are not too fond of...like any career. When a airline is recruiting its smart to attend the interviews to see what they are offering. Personally it wasnt for me and I made this decision after the final interview.

Why do you want to work for them?

Fingers Crossed
30th Sep 2006, 04:13
Actually I never said I wanted to work for them, you assumed I did. :rolleyes:

OzyOS
30th Sep 2006, 04:15
Then why are you in this thread...and what do you really care at all? Are you just here to cause waves....do you actually have anything constructive to add? I have atleast been throught the interviews and have many years experience in this profession. And you?

Fingers Crossed
30th Sep 2006, 04:20
Why are you being so rude???

Didn't realise that you had to be wannabe Jet* cc to have a say in this forum.

And if you'd bother to re read any of my posts in this thread you would find that it were relevant. So perhaps you should stop attacking for no apparent reason. :=

OzyOS
30th Sep 2006, 04:30
Fingers Crosses: Clearly I am not the one "attacking" people. Yes anyone is more than welcome and free to read and post on these threads. But you have said nothing constructive of late and have only tried to criticize others. Maybe you should re-evaluate who is being rude here.

I am not continuing this with you anymore because it is a waste of time and not helping anyone.

ShesGreatintheGalley
30th Sep 2006, 06:31
firstly:
I have trouble understanding why current FAs would want to work for JQI. I can kind of understand people with no flying experience still thinking that besides the crap conditions, and warnings from current crew, that it could be good. Of course you might think that, if you have never flown before, you may (and you probably do) think you know what kind of lifestyle and work schedule you will be operating on, and how it will takeover your life. However, until you have actually done it, its hard to judge. I do not know of any job (except perhaps mining in a remote area? but they get pretty decent conditions and pay/rest etc) that demands 100% of your living breathing life - even when you are NOT working.
For those that have never flown, the glamour will ALWAYS be there in some degree. Hell.. there is even a tiny speck of it still there for me - which is why i love my job (although i may not like the management or the conditions).

Secondly:
Pinklemonae and Fingers Crossed, i understand that you may see current FAs 'swanning' into interviews... and yeah its probably annoying - there are always people in every industry that love themselves so much that they think they are the greatest gift to any employer.
However, having said that, this industry has such a high turnover rate with young crew, and there are always people applying who really have no clue about what the 'lifestyle' entails that having flying experience behind you does count for alot... and potential recruiters know it. If you have flown before, you probably have a foot and a bit in the door more than someone who hasnt - ESPECIALLY if you used to work for the same airline in the past as a recruiter (ie Ex Ansett for example) This industry is very much like a big 'family' - crew all around the world, regardless of the airlines they work for are seen as a kind of extended family. We look after them on flights, they look after us. Of course if you are interviewing someone and they used to fly you are going to look on them favourably.. for many reasons, and a big one is that at least they are fully aware of what the job entails and are less likely to 'drop out'. simple as that.

pinklemonae
30th Sep 2006, 22:11
firstly:

Secondly:
Pinklemonae and Fingers Crossed, i understand that you may see current FAs 'swanning' into interviews... and yeah its probably annoying - there are always people in every industry that love themselves so much that they think they are the greatest gift to any employer.
However, having said that, this industry has such a high turnover rate with young crew, and there are always people applying who really have no clue about what the 'lifestyle' entails that having flying experience behind you does count for alot... and potential recruiters know it. If you have flown before, you probably have a foot and a bit in the door more than someone who hasnt - ESPECIALLY if you used to work for the same airline in the past as a recruiter (ie Ex Ansett for example) This industry is very much like a big 'family' - crew all around the world, regardless of the airlines they work for are seen as a kind of extended family. We look after them on flights, they look after us. Of course if you are interviewing someone and they used to fly you are going to look on them favourably.. for many reasons, and a big one is that at least they are fully aware of what the job entails and are less li kely to 'drop out'. simple as that.

There is nothing worse than being mis quoted!

I never stated that ex CC will 'swan' into interviews. I just highlighted the fact that ex I found it interesting that ex CC are very surprised when they do not land a job. Given they have experience. Please read my post properly before becoming defensive.

This thread is turning into a cat fight. The claws are out. There appears to be very little willingness or ability for a deeper analysis on the situation.

No one seems to understand that there are advantages to hiring candidates with no experience.

That is fair enough. Some people have trouble with lateral thought.

Because of this I am not participating any further with this topic.

Thank you.

hostessvb
1st Oct 2006, 00:19
Hey Pinklemonae - that was my experience as well when i went through the recruitment process at VB. There were loads of ex AN crew who acted as though the outcome was a foregone conclusion. Fortunately it wasn't and not many of them were in my training school! :D I remember watching them and wondering if they really had any interest in the job or whether they just couldn't find somethign else. It was such a contrast with the majority of other applicants who were almost busting at the seams to get this dream job. In the end we had an awesome initial group, full of people who genuinely wanted to be there and had worked damned hard for it. :ok:

I'm not saying that experience doesn't have value, but its a question of what experiences and what value. Being a bitter ex crewmember with fixed and unrealistic views of the role doesn't exactly make you attractive to an employer....and sure as hell wouldn't make you someone i would want to work with.

missleadfoot
1st Oct 2006, 05:24
Hostessvb,

Sorry but in Ansett crew defence, how dare you call them "bitter". That is such a biased view and from reading many of your posts you seem to have a problem with people with experience. How you can operate on board with that attitude and make friends along the way is beyond me. This is a job that survives on team work and experience counts for a hell of a lot. What did you expect, no Ansett crew applying for work? I don't know know a person who "swanned" into an interview thinking they were going to get the job, you are so way off from the mark with that statement. We were left shell shocked, something you hopefully will never have to go through. Many of the crew have never done anything else before, Ansett was a family business, husbands, wives and in some cases the kids worked for Ansett. Trust me, no one is "bitter", why should we be, the company didn't screw us, there is no bitterness towards Ansett whatsoever so think before you write next time. If you saw ex crew at an interview all they were trying to do was promote themselves as you should do, congratulations, you got through so whats the issue?

OzyOS
1st Oct 2006, 06:33
Guys, everyone has something to offer in this industry.

New F/A's to the role can bring a fresh and excited attitude

Experienced Crew bring confidence and a deep understanding of what is required of them in this position.

At the end of the day we are all on that Aircraft as a team with many dynamics that we bring individually to this role......But most importantly a team can not function without respect for each other.

Cheers :p

TightSlot
1st Oct 2006, 10:23
Guys, everyone has something to offer in this industry.

New F/A's to the role can bring a fresh and excited attitude

Experienced Crew bring confidence and a deep understanding of what is required of them in this position.

At the end of the day we are all on that Aircraft as a team with many dynamics that we bring individually to this role......But most importantly a team can not function without respect for each other.

Cheers :p

This strikes me as a pretty comprehensive and mature explanation to end this particular discussion on the thread, so let's drag it back onto topic now please.

flitegirl
1st Oct 2006, 22:29
uh oh whateva.... you better bunker down. I think you are in for a barrage. But before that happens, as tightslot said, shall we get this thread back to the topic. This is the Jetstar thread.

So, in an attempt to get back on the rails. My friend started at Jetstar International yesterday. She is in the first melb base school. 10 CSMs and 10 FAs. she said that it seems like that's all they are training for the Melb base (at this stage) - I guess that means hight utilisation of the BKK based crew.

Mr Seatback 2
1st Oct 2006, 23:28
Re: whateva!'s post (how appropriate)...

In the department I worked in, no-one there (in a dept. of 200) was related to anyone else in the company. When I joined, none of us knew any existing AN employee's, let alone related to them.

When I finished up as a travel consultant (prior to the collapse), we all looked out for each other and cared about each other - as a 'family' does. Again, in that area also, none of us had relatives already in the organisation.

"The only reason they went bust is because all you family members looked after each other and got paid too much for it."

Your lack of understanding of the significant issues surrounding the collapse (underfunded investment, no investment in fleet for many years, no solid management) show a complete disregard for the truth behind the collapse. All too easy to blame the staff for your problems (...:ooh: do I feel shades of Geoff Dixon right now?? :ooh: )

Nice wind up whateva. Keep up the mediocre work.

AND NOW, BACK TO THE JETSTAR THREAD...

Much of the startup will utilise Australian based crew. Eventually, there will be more usage of Bangkok base crew as the numbers increase.

The first Sydney school starts on 5th October, with another one on 16th.

Wingletts
1st Oct 2006, 23:47
whateva!
from your post it is obvious that you are a probationary ppruner! otherwise you would not be as so disrespectful to make such lewd comments about the best airline this country has seen and will ever see again!

it really hurts people like myself and others who were passionate about their company and devastated beyond belief when it all went under.:*

Yes we were a familyand yes we looked out for each other .. and itwas`such a quality airline because we all took pride in our company. The comraderie was amazing..I doubt you'd find that in any airline in Australia now.

And yes do your homework before you go making such assumptions..there were alot of reasons for the Ansett collapse but the staff didnt have anything to do with it - we we the victums.

May you nver go through anything like it in your lifetime b/c I for one would not wish it upon anyone - it was hell!

back to the topic- good luck to all the JQI canditates and trainees!

flyingJetblue
2nd Oct 2006, 04:17
To all those people that got into JetStar International, can you guys tell me what your actual contract conditions are like and what hours and turn around times are ? So many rumours as per usual flying around hard to ascertain the actual truth of the matter.

pinklemonae
2nd Oct 2006, 08:12
Thanks to the people who helped me with my JQ enquires. I was offered a position for the SYD base today starting training in a few weeks.

Very proud to be a part of the new cabin crew generation :) All I need to do now is work out how I will finish my degree while at ground school! Lucky I have a good rapport with my teacher, will take a bit of negotiation to get around this one.

All the best!

Pinklemonae

tzenin
3rd Oct 2006, 08:40
OK, so it's time to clear up the rumours. I have accepted a position with JQI starting on 1/11 and am sick of hearing about all these rumours that are just not clear. I may be new to flying but know that there are many worse conditions out there and really don't know of many people that don't complain about their conditions so it is a decision you need to make for yourself, to see if it suits you and not to listen to the likes of Leane7 and others who don't give valid reasons as to why you shouldn't work for JQ or those in QF that are scared about this working well and their own conditions changing in coming years.

So for all that are still interested and are as excited about this new airline as I am here is a little bit about what I have received:

There are 8 days off per roster period (28 days) in your home base, none of these will be OS. There will be some slip days os (mainly for the Mel crew). And there are a few standby days. You will not be on standby on your days off however can elect to work to get more hours. If you have to work on your days off for any reason you are given a substitute day off. You can be contacted on a day off however nothing says that you have to be available.

There is no shared accomondation.

As far as I can tell there will be about a 50/50 mix of Thai and Aussie crew during startup.

Rest periods are dependent on your duty hours ie 0-14 - 12hrs planned rest, 14-17 - =duty hours planned rest, 17-24 - 20 hours planned rest

Airport Standby - all elapsed hours spent on stand-bu prior to the allocation of a flying duty will be credited towards the roster period hours total but not to the duty hour limitations.

Oh there are like a billion other rumours floating around and seriously people should stop taking it as gospel and find out the answers for themselves and that does not mean from current JQ Domestic employees as half of them have it wrong too!

mostie
3rd Oct 2006, 08:59
Quote- "I may be new to flying but know that there are many worse conditions out there".

---------

I dont know of any flying conditions worse than jetscar international and would be happy to hear of what you know......

My understanding is that you will be paid $32 000 PA for up to 304 hours per 56 day period.........This being International east/west flying.

The type of flying that leaves your body screaming for sleep and/or up all night dealing with jetlag.

As someone who isn't new to flying the conditions sound VERY ordinary to me.

Mr Seatback 2
3rd Oct 2006, 09:19
tzenin

A large number of JQ Domestic crew knocked back JQI - including those who didn't turn up to the seminars, based on the contract. Compared to domestic, the base wages for both FA's and CSM's are lower, the rest periods are lower, you have less days off per month, and less control of your roster.

"Airport Standby - all elapsed hours spent on stand-bu prior to the allocation of a flying duty will be credited towards the roster period hours total but not to the duty hour limitations."

So...5 hours on airport standby, then you're doing a DPS return . 5 hours + 15 hours planned duty (not including delays) = at least 20 hours actual duty, but only considered 15 for rest purposes...yeah, a great deal. Then you have to drive home. IF you can drive home.

"I may be new to flying but know that there are many worse conditions out there and really don't know of many people that don't complain about their conditions so it is a decision you need to make for yourself, to see if it suits you and not to listen to the likes of Leane7 and others who don't give valid reasons as to why you shouldn't work for JQ or those in QF that are scared about this working well and their own conditions changing in coming years."

Not for International flying in this end of the world, there isn't. Unless, of course, you're BKK crew, or work for an Asian carrier.

Absolutely - it is a decision you need to make for yourself, as other JQ Domestic crew have made. But there aren't many.

Those in QF, and so on, have every right to be alarmed. The JQ contract is by far and away the lowest common demoninator when it comes to rest vs work hours vs work/life balance.

This model will work well purely on the basis of churn and burn - that is YOU burn out, and get replaced in a couple of years by fresh blood.

The QF crew's agreements are built on what works physically in order to deal with the constant back of clock, different time zone flying JQI will be performing. JQ resets the bar, and the guinea pigs will be you guys.

To begin with, the flying will be easy based on the low number of aircraft and limited schedule. However, that will change as more and more aircraft are introduced into the fleet, thus allowing greater rotations of crew.

"There is no shared accomondation."

One word for you...yet. Also, is there anything in your contract preventing this from occurring? No.

In closing, good luck to the JQI crew - you're going to need it.

speedbirdhouse
3rd Oct 2006, 11:46
Well said that man.

Conditions DESIGNED to churn and burn.

jetstarFA
3rd Oct 2006, 13:59
tzenin

You come back to this forum in 6-12 months when JQI has grown into the churn and burn monster and tell us that you made the right choice...... What you forget is that the same people who are management for JQI are the same managers or were once managers for JQ Domestic.....

8 days off compared to 10 for Domestic
Maximum of 140 hours for Domestic...
Min 12 hours rest even if I fly for 2 hours up to 15 for a crap day
Last tax year was a low one so I only earnt $55K.......Cabin Crew wage
No timezone changes

OH and I have a UNION,,,, they back me when JQ domestic try to pull the wool over my eyes......

Domestic people are in a MUCH MUCH MUCH better position work/life/financial than JQI will be....

Not as good as the kids across the road at QF but lets not forget that we only do this job because we love meeting new people and love travel.....:ugh:

pinklemonae
3rd Oct 2006, 21:17
Does anyone know how long ground school for domestic is? Three weeks is what I seem to remember?

Thanks

So many things happening at one time for me..Its always the way.

Mr Seatback 2
3rd Oct 2006, 23:18
Domestic ground school is now 4 weeks, since they stopped training new crews in the 717.

pinklemonae
3rd Oct 2006, 23:38
Oh really? I was hoping for three weeks.

priapism
4th Oct 2006, 06:06
Tzenin,

Where do I start? Firstly, I don't work for Jet* , Q.F, Vb. I am out of the industry and enjoying another career so I am now regular SLF and a keen observer of the industry I was a part of ,in various guises, for 20 years.

From this unbiased and external perspective I can appreciate how keen and excited you are to be starting a new career with a new international venture but I post this to tell you that , from what you say , your award is harsh and unreasonable.

The duty hours you tell us about are arduous , even with the rest periods between them. You have just got to realise how tiring and draining flying is.
The air quality within a cabin is stale at best . You will be working long hours in a cabin atitude of approximately 7500 feet . The constant disruption to your circadian rhythm ( please do a web search and read all about this ) leaves you tired and run down . - 8 days off in 28 is insufficient for even the healthiest person to recover from. Being run down like that means becoming much more succeptable to ILLNESS which F/A's are sitting ducks for anyway due to the poor air conditioning on even the most modern of aircraft.
How much sick leave are they going to give you? How will you feel when you get called in for "counselling" after using it all up and more? Don't expect any sympathy.

No mention of any buffers around your days off - can you finish at midnight before your days off then start at 0400 after them? Can you have single days off or do they have to be grouped? How much annnual leave are you getting ?
Do you have any say in when you can take it? Any rostering flexibility ?

I'm sure that there are many more finer, but important conditions, that other ppruners can add.

From what you can tell me these work conditions are draconian and unsustainable in the long term.

Oh, by the way , one of my ex colleagues , now has a managerial postion with Jet* ( mainly concerned with cabin crew ) . She has had years of experience both as domestic and International crew ( not with Q.F may I add ) " On the record" - she tows the company line with regards to the jet* international conditions . Off the record she admits that , even as a young girl , she would not last long working those hours internationally OR domestically.

If you were getting paid well for the harsh conditions it may make up for something , but you have sold yourself very cheaply to the Australian aviation industry. From what I am reading your domestic counterparts are getting paid substantially more than you for better conditions-and that is an injustice in itself.

What is going to happen when your award comes up for negotiation ?
This mob are going to drive for even more productivity for a couple of percent a year pay rise . What is there left to give ? More duty hours? Less days off? Less rest between shifts? Perhaps you could then start sharing accomodation? If you don't concede something-no pay rise !

I hope you can last a while in your new and exciting role . I truly fear that, when the novelty of the new job wears off , you will be left disillusioned and disappointed. It won't matter if you leave. It will only take 4 weeks to train another young hopeful who will be equally excited about their new career. Jet* know this and will exploit it for all it's worth.

I have a 13 year old daughter who aspires to being a flight attendant.
She has even studied up on wages , conditions and experience needed you need . Even she can see that your award is the harshest in the Australian industry.

After several trips as SLF on various carriers her preference is V.B . - and good luck to her !

Please take no offence at my post , I don't intend to put the hand brake on your excitement , merely point out to you a few realities so will be aware of them as they occur.

Enjoy you new career and enjoy your days off . I now have a career in the health sciences so if you like I can pop around and give you a couple of litres of intravenous isotonic crystalloid solution at the start of them-- you'll need it !

Priapism

Bolty McBolt
4th Oct 2006, 06:53
As an avid reader of this forum, I have a dumb question.

With the award as it stands for Jet * Int will the cabin crew have to work return legs of flights to the following destinations:-
Melbourne - Bankok
Sydney - Phuket
Sydney - Honalulu
Syd/Melb - Ho Chi minh
etc etc

When you look at the routes of proposed flying and only 4 then 6 A330s to do the flying the majority of destinations are only going to be serviced 3 or 4 times a week.

Now if you don't have to work the return sector it would mean 1-3 day layovers so perhaps the early years in JQ Int could be quite easy on the body and fun despite whats written in their AWA. You may infact get more rest away than home. 1-3 day layovers are a thing of the past for almost all destinations QF s/h or l/h
Correct me if I am wrong but don't shoot me :ok:

priapism
4th Oct 2006, 07:14
Bolty,

With the high numbers of duty hours required it would be impossible to build a roster with many "away" slips in it within the confines of 28 days, even with minimum rest between duties.

Bolty McBolt
4th Oct 2006, 07:30
With the high numbers of duty hours required it would be impossible to build a roster with many "away" slips in it within the confines of 28 days, even with minimum rest between duties.

Priapism.
This is my point. If you fly somewhere on a long sector and the next flight doesn't arrive for 3 days, what do you do?
Do you pax on another lcc to another location to operate out of that port eg Arrive Phuket pax to BKK, overnight and operate BKK - MEL.

If Jet * can't make a roster work so Cabin crew can't work the prescibed hours. Will they receive less pay? If the answer is no, early days in Jet* Int could be quite cruzy

jetstarFA
4th Oct 2006, 07:46
WATCH this SPACE

SYD - BKK - minimum rest
pax BKK - PHUKET
PHUKET - SYD - minimum rest

PAX SYD - MEL
MEL - SGN - Minimum rest
PAX SGN - BKK
BKK - SYD

Just an example - CEO said that is the way he would like to see it go......

Not out of the field

I think that 5 days sitting on the beach in Phuket waiting for the plane to come back and get me is a beautiful dream.....

JQI crew will be worked to within an inch of their lives.... They will all leave.... and BKK crew will be waiting to take the job....:D
:}

pinkus
4th Oct 2006, 07:55
Tzenin like others have said lets see how you are going in a years time.

I have 9-10 days off per month half of my layovers are 48 + hours and some of my flights are 45 minute turnarounds and I still get very tired. I just did a 5 hour flight had a 24 hour layover and flew back and slept for 13 hours. All off your flights will be alot more than 5 hours.

Do you have any idea how hard it will be to do a 10 hour flight. Have 12 hours rest ( remembering you have to get to and from your hotel plus get ready for the flight back so there goes a couple of hours) then fly back.

qcc2
4th Oct 2006, 08:13
the guy/girl is new to the industry. as we "oldies" know your upcoming conditions are the "worst i ever seen in the aviation industry" a bold statement, i know, but having been around for a few years and a reasonable idea what the rest of the world is doing, unfortunatly it set new standards.definatly not good ones. the only ones laughing are AJ & GD (a reason to kick the bonus along):ugh:

adam_ant
4th Oct 2006, 22:43
Hope you guys don't mind me lurking on your thread - the VB one has dwindled to nothing - i am interested to see what transpires with JQI as I am sure VBI will follow suit as far as conditions go. (BG I'm sure had a jump for joy when he saw the JQI AWA).

Its sad how low things are getting (VB being my 2nd FA incarnation). I guess ones only outlook is to get as much out of the airlines (they may 'churn and burn' but we can 'use and abuse') as possible and then leave. Sad indeed. There really isn't such thing as a flying career anymore is there?:(

Companies only get as much as they pay for and I'm sure once the novelty of getting your 'dream job' wears off and you realise your being shafted, then the pax will suffer.

Adam

sebby
5th Oct 2006, 01:09
I suggest you all grab a copy of a new zealand based cabin crew contract (with the exception of air nz LH), pinch yourselves and have a good laugh.

With these sort of conditions (JQI included), cabin crew will now be a job that lasts a couple of years as your body just wont last. Make the most of it guys..

As for Leane7 manking comments she isnt backing up - she works on a nz contract now for Long Haul flying, the contract isnt as bad as JQI but she si very aware of what that contract is like to live on so why would she want worse conditions?

The job is revolting at times, i really hope u guys know what you are in for!

keeponsmiling
5th Oct 2006, 01:32
Sebby- when you say the job is revolting at times... what do you mean by this?

If so many people on this forum have so much negative stuff to say (not saying you do Sebby) why do you all continue to work as cc. Life is too short to live your lives with regrets and expecially working conditions you don't agree with.

Keep On Smiling guys - it's not that bad is it? :) :) :) :) :)

Bolty McBolt
5th Oct 2006, 01:58
I admit I have no idea how crew rostering works but as an engineer I know how an aircraft sched works (rostering for airplanes)
With all the long sectors each plane will be available at best to do 1 return per day especially with the curfew in SYD

It would appear on paper looking at the schedule that Jet* don't have the aircraft to flog the CC, I would say you will get 2 - 3 days in phuket at first, until the fleet builds and the frequency to these holiday destinations builds from 3 times a week,

Its when the fleet builds and then you get flogged by your conditions in your awa the startup CC will be talking about the good ole days.... :ok:

RaverFlaver
5th Oct 2006, 02:21
It seems the overseas based recruitment has already started. Crew the other day on AO, Osaka - Cairns had 30 Japanese girls heading to Sydney for training!

flitegirl
5th Oct 2006, 02:28
cabin crew based in Japan?.... or were they maybe ground staff?

skybunny
5th Oct 2006, 03:41
I'm a JQD fa and know crew that are going across to JQI. One aircraft comes online in Nov, one in Dec, and so on until all 6 are online. Rosters are showing 5 day BKK stopovers and the like, however it is unlikely that these type of trips will continue for the long run, particularly after the arrival of the 787s, so enjoy it while it lasts. Regarding the conditions - I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, domestic pays far better and honestly, the hardest we work is on a turnaround. Good luck to those who are applying and to those who have been accepted, but don't be surprised when it becomes a churn and burn machine in about 22 months :rolleyes:

Mr Seatback 2
5th Oct 2006, 04:12
Look at JetstarFA's post re: schedules...not too far from the truth.

Operate SYD-HNL
Min Rest
Operate HNL-MEL-SYD

Some destinations will have a bit of slipt time - for now. The plan is to triangulate the crew to keep them and the plane flying. It isn't necessarily back to your home base as the above pattern proves.

This was an example pattern show to recruits in the info session.

RaverFlaver
5th Oct 2006, 04:33
It was said to be for FA training.

QF skywalker
5th Oct 2006, 07:00
Hi Raver/Flitegirl,

I brought them down from KIX. They are not JQI trainees. They are from a japanese f/a training college, coming to Australia to learn english. They are hoping to be placed with ANA/JAL on course completion. Doing the safety demo in front of them was blinding - literally ! Camera flashes every 1/4 second !

Hope you are both well.

Cheers
QF SKY

RaverFlaver
5th Oct 2006, 11:08
Hey QFSky,

Thanks for that. I was chatting to another crew on the flight.....a classic example of how stories get blown out!

Fly with you soon! :)

sebby
5th Oct 2006, 11:14
When i say revolting i refer to the time just recently i got assaulted due to an enginering problem which is apperently the cabin crews faults as they wait at the gate. Also the time i got vomited on. What about clearing in meal trays, apparently its poor customer service to wear gloves.

Im not saying i hate the job, but there is a reality to it. I only get through it because i get to go to great places and get paid ok. You guys wont have that, you'll be operating there and paxing back, and getting paid peanuts to do it. Allowances dont add up when you dont do long duties. :ugh:

cart_elevator
6th Oct 2006, 02:51
Skybunny

Rosters are showing 5 day BKK stopovers and the like

I think you are forgetting a little airline called Qantas, that operates to BKK daily - if you think JQI is planning on slipping crew in BKK for five days when they have the oppotunity to pax the crew back in Y/C on QF (after min rest of course) :rolleyes: .It would be cheaper for them to do that, rather than slip for 5 days. then pax the replacement crew up the day before, give em min rest again to operate the flight home. Same as HNL, they can just pax em back on the QF flight.

It's interesting you probably have seen dummy rosters, however when QF opened the LHR base, the dummy rosters they showed were not what the rosters turned out to be, maybe just a ploy to get crew over to JQI?

JQI obviously thinks they can get the 150 hours in a month. There is no way they can achieve these hours with anything more than single night slips in each port. At QF we already see patterns where crew pax on other airlines to gain greater roster efficiency.

red or white
6th Oct 2006, 03:36
Its become a job, passangers actually pitty FAs. It is degrading. Benefits,yes. How you going to pay for using those travel benefits when you earn nothing. And with JQI and other cheapy carriers. Earn more money with another job and pay for your tickets on a full service carrier.

Bolty McBolt
6th Oct 2006, 04:25
When i say revolting i refer to the time just recently i got assaulted due to an enginering problem which is apperently the cabin crews faults as they wait at the gate. Also the time i got vomited on. What about clearing in meal trays, apparently its poor customer service to wear gloves.
:

Assulted ??
Let us know more
as an engineer I am always keen to hear feedback when things are our fault??

sebby
6th Oct 2006, 05:44
Bolty - it was not the engineers fault either. The aircraft had gone U/S and as a result the pax were required to wait another night.

When we (the crew) arrived at the gate to get on and prep the aircraft we interrupted the ground staff making an announcement that another aircraft would be chartered in as the aircraft needed heavy maitemance. As we went to walk away to hide from the DP's (disgruntled pax) one of them came up to me and shoved his boarding pass in my face and yelled "get me on this flight"... i responded "get out of my face" and he punched me. Of course he got arrested, and of course i was well supported but how was it my fault? It was noones fault, these things just happen.

I dont get paid enough to be abused or assaulted, and whats worse is that his wife had a running commentary as the police took him away - "the little fag deserved it". To which i responded "well u wont be going anywhere now will you".. lol but thats another story.

:* :ouch: :* :ouch: :mad: :mad: :* :ouch: :* :ouch:

pinklemonae
6th Oct 2006, 06:06
Domestic ground school is now 4 weeks, since they stopped training new crews in the 717.

GS is lasting five weeks now.

:)

Bolty McBolt
6th Oct 2006, 07:23
Sebby
Sorry to hear anyone gets punched doing their duty.
Aircraft break and we rarely have parts to fix them (even in sydney) and us engineers get abused too in delay situations but we have fairly thick skin.

You guys should use your "service recover tools"
Blame the faceless bad engineer outside so when the aircraft does finally depart the bad element is left behind...

Thats what happens now :=

pinklemonae
6th Oct 2006, 07:26
^^That sort of thing happens in all jobs though..Blame the person who is not around to stand up for themself.

Unfortunetly.

brian_dromey
6th Oct 2006, 18:29
As we went to walk away to hide from the DP's (disgruntled pax)
i responded "get out of my face" and he punched me.
but how was it my fault?
... i responded "well u wont be going anywhere now will you".

Perhaps passengers would be a little more understanding if crews took the time to explain what was going on instead of "hiding". While no-one deserves a punch in the face, equally passengers deserve to be treated with respect and told what is going on. If you had tried speaking with the pax instead of being rude you probably would not have gotten punched. Yes the man was irate, but you dont know what his circumstances were.

Peoples jobs are as difficult as they choose to make them, crews always complain about how nasty some passengers are, heres a tip for everyone, try being nice to your passengers, they might surprise you.

overhere
7th Oct 2006, 01:31
(disgruntled pax) one of them came up to me and shoved his boarding pass in my face and yelled "get me on this flight"... i responded "get out of my face" and he punched me. Of course he got arrested, and of course i was well supported but how was it my fault? It was noones fault, these things just happen.

I dont get paid enough to be abused or assaulted, and whats worse is that his wife had a running commentary as the police took him away - "the little fag deserved it". To which i responded "well u wont be going anywhere now will you".. lol

Perhaps the biggest problem with jetconnect then is they don't teach conflict management skills.

No offense but it's little wonder he responded the way he did with your remark, lesson 101 in conflict management is that the only persons behaviour you can control is your own. You need to guide their level of conflict to a positive level, not respond with further conflict.

Maybe what we're seeing with such low terms and conditions is not enough training and people without the life experience and training being thrown into situations they can't handle.

Remember many passengers have a great fear of flying and that fear, along with them being out of control, out of their comfort zone and often at the mercy of changing airline schedules, with the added stress of having to be somewhere for work or family in a busy and demanding society, leads them to do things out of character. I often feel sorry for them to be honest.

You don't know why he "had" to get on that flight - maybe he had the career changing business meeting the next morning, his mother was on her death bed, his wife was about to give birth, his child had just been in an accident or he just hadn't seen his family in weeks.

And you're right, he'll probably never fly Qantas again, probably through choice. Who pays your salary though? I always thought it was the passengers.....

RedTBar
7th Oct 2006, 07:03
If sebby is actually crew and not a pretender I find it amazing that he/she would even post his comment of "get out of my face"..In the time I have been with QF I have never used anything like that nor have I heard anyone else for that matter use anything similar.

I cannot count the number of delays and diversions I have been involved with and have never responded with a comment like that and as overthere said you don't know what the circumstances the pax was in.

I suppose though that if you pay the amount that GD is willing to pay then you will get crew with the lack of skills that will make comments like these

Bolty has a valid point with the operating flights with our new sibling J* international.Unless they will not count transit time as part of TOD and if there is no limit on hours (which would not surprise me ) then for example on the HNL flight the CC will have to have more than 24 hours slip unless they can operate straight back to OZ and other ports until the schedule is daily.I doubt QF would set aside valuable y/c seats for paxing crew so in Thailand and other ports at least for the first 6 or 12 months or so the slips should be good.The company as well will be pointing this out to all to show how good the crew have it....My advice for the crew is to use that time well while it lasts because if there is any certainty in this world this will not last

sebby
7th Oct 2006, 07:29
Point taken guys, but bare in mind they had been liasing with ground staff and as crew i had no extra information for them, let alone being cornered for answers.

The fact he was arrested for the incident was more my point that he would not be flying on that aircraft or our airline. The crew had signed on at 0530, and when this happened it was 1530.

Everyone was tired and no one deserved the delay of 27 hours but the cabin crew have no control over these things, it was school holidays and QF wouldnt offload any pax onto other airlines or the 2 other flights. Dissappointing. Yes it could have been handled better - but 6 arrsests were made that afternoon, everyone was tired. There is more than my comment to this saga but if i went into it more i dont think id stop typing. A chain of events led to my antagonistic comment and you cant teach anyone to protect their personal space to a textbook way, i was cornered and i reacted.

sebby
7th Oct 2006, 07:31
PS - I appreciate the feedback but lets not accuse me of lying... :ok:

RedTBar
7th Oct 2006, 12:55
Sebby,
I doubt I have seen 6 arrests in 25 years and you saying it happened in one day....Where was this Beirut?

pinklemonae
8th Oct 2006, 06:25
Prunners, is there much homework in Ground School?

Just wondering..

I have a uni exam to do during ground school and I was hoping to study a bit for that too

Thanks,

flitegirl
8th Oct 2006, 06:59
depends on a few factors, one being which airline and therefore how many aircraft types. If it's Jetstar your training for you'll only have one type, Qantas has 3 for s/h and 3 for l/h with variants of each so there's more to remember. You will need to study each day during your EP component but you sound like you're used to studying so that wont be a problem for you. having said that, you wont be studying for hours on end every night (unless you experience difficulties with the theory - which I doubt). My tip, really pay close attention to your trainer so you can recall as much as you can, that will make your study during your down time easier and faster. It's much easier to read your manual and think "I remember the trainer saying that".

pinklemonae
8th Oct 2006, 07:52
depends on a few factors, one being which airline and therefore how many aircraft types. If it's Jetstar your training for you'll only have one type, Qantas has 3 for s/h and 3 for l/h with variants of each so there's more to remember. You will need to study each day during your EP component but you sound like you're used to studying so that wont be a problem for you. having said that, you wont be studying for hours on end every night (unless you experience difficulties with the theory - which I doubt). My tip, really pay close attention to your trainer so you can recall as much as you can, that will make your study during your down time easier and faster. It's much easier to read your manual and think "I remember the trainer saying that".

Oh great. Thank you very much.

I am accustomed to studying on a tight schedule so I doubt it will be a problem for me.. At least I won’t be learning complex theories designed to confuse - like I have done for the past four years!

ShesGreatintheGalley
8th Oct 2006, 12:35
pinklemonae: do not be deceived by the length of the ground school.. previous GS have been running six days a week for 8-`10 hour days with only sunday off - and generally sunday is used all day for revision for exams on the monday.
You will be required to learn things such as drills and equip locations quite quickly and you will be tested reguarly (every week i think) in order to 'pass' to get through to the next level. They make it quite mentally demanding in order to weed out those that only put a half hearted effort in.
Although flying isnt mentally challenging, Ground Schools are exhausting and having that much information shoved down your throat with little time for sleep and no time for relaxation i am honestly not sure how you will manage to do an initial ground school coming from a no flying experience background AND complete a uni assignment?

just something to keep in mind.

flitegirl
8th Oct 2006, 13:05
Pinklemonae, don't let ShesGreatintheGalley's comments increase your anxiety levels. That's the last thing you need. You're a university student, so you obviously know how to handle a a tough study load - i've been there having completed 2 uni degrees too. An airline ground school is by far less stressful and interesting and practical than any other study course i've completed. (for the record i've done 2 airline ground schools.) The difference is that a GS is fast paced and you move from topic to topic very quickly. You will probably have tests every second day at least, but don't let that stress you out. It's actually great revision tool and by the time you come to the final exam you are so full of the information that you're nearly bursting to let it all out on the paper. You will definitely find time to sleep and relax - i'm not sure why shesgreatinthegalley thinks otherwise. She must have gone overboard with the SWOT in her GS. You wont need to be up all night studying. Plan your time well and you'll be able to do your uni exam too. So good luck, enjoy the course, they're lots of fun.

sebby
8th Oct 2006, 21:54
I dont want to take away the importance and toughness of cabin crew training but its all about organisation.

Dont let SGITG scare you, i came from a non study background and have done 2 ground schools, one with multiple aircraft types and one with a single type and i found them both fine. The trainers dont want you to fail, so listen, concentrate, pland your time right and you'll be fine. If you arent sleeping then you arent following a plan well enough.

You'll be fine - my suggestion is stop thinking now and just DO! :ok:

All the best ;)

pinklemonae
8th Oct 2006, 22:28
pinklemonae: do not be deceived by the length of the ground school.. previous GS have been running six days a week for 8-`10 hour days with only sunday off - and generally sunday is used all day for revision for exams on the monday.
You will be required to learn things such as drills and equip locations quite quickly and you will be tested reguarly (every week i think) in order to 'pass' to get through to the next level. They make it quite mentally demanding in order to weed out those that only put a half hearted effort in.
Although flying isnt mentally challenging, Ground Schools are exhausting and having that much information shoved down your throat with little time for sleep and no time for relaxation i am honestly not sure how you will manage to do an initial ground school coming from a no flying experience background AND complete a uni assignment?

just something to keep in mind.

Thank you for your realistic sentiments.

I figure if I can get through four years of full time uni, working three days, attending acting school, over four hundred hours of industry work experience AND language school simultaneously - I can get through five weeks of GS and one last exam for my degree.

Remembering...One last exam to finish four years of very hard work.

Pinklemonae, don't let ShesGreatintheGalley's comments increase your anxiety levels. That's the last thing you need. You're a university student, so you obviously know how to handle a a tough study load - i've been there having completed 2 uni degrees too.

You have completed two degrees? Impressive.. Thanks, its good to hear about GS from the perspective of someone who understands a hectic (and often unrealistic) uni workload.

What I am excited about is this material will be so practical. None of this 'now lets consider this theroretical frame work from every angle!'.

I dont want to take away the importance and toughness of cabin crew training but its all about organisation.

Dont let SGITG scare you, i came from a non study background and have done 2 ground schools, one with multiple aircraft types and one with a single type and i found them both fine. The trainers dont want you to fail, so listen, concentrate, pland your time right and you'll be fine. If you arent sleeping then you arent following a plan well enough.

You'll be fine - my suggestion is stop thinking now and just DO! :ok:

All the best ;)

Thanks. Yes I figure I'll need to be super organised. No biggie for me..I'm used to being very busy.

Thanks for all the advice and information. I will let you know how I get along..

Pinklemonae

flyboynath
11th Oct 2006, 05:50
Tzenin,
Since you are such a know it all you would have known that I used to work for JQ for 2 yrs actually. I totally enjoyed my time working for them & found that they were a great employer in the area that I worked in. I have absolutly no idea what you are refering to, when you say that I make claims that ppl should not work for JQ without a valid reason????? I can not find anything here in this topic or any other topics where I have said this? Can you provide that to me? No I doubt that you can. I may have said that I personally would not work under the current conditions of JQI Cabin Crew as I actually believe that QF AKL L/H have a better deal than JQI & thats saying something. I would say that its a great opportunity for those breaking in to the industry or ppl looking for a change, I am sure that you will enjoy it. Next time you critisize someone I think that you should back up your own claims.

I'd tread very carefully Leane7, Tzenin may have misquoted you - on this occasion, but I can provide many examples of of unsubstantiated claims.

TightSlot
11th Oct 2006, 06:15
There is no need to endlessly quote massive sections of text each time you post - apart from simply wasting server space and bandwidth it is tedious for others to read - from now on, offending posts will be deleted.

ShesGreatintheGalley
11th Oct 2006, 09:35
pinklemonae: sorry if i have offended you - i certainly didnt mean it in the tone of "oh you better watch out its so tough there is no way you will be able to do both".. as i dont know you i dont feel really that making that judgement is any of my business, nor would it be even if i did know you.
i was simply letting you know that it is not all sitting in a classroom watching a lecturer all day (a view which some, especially new crew who i talk to - seem to of held prior to flying)
i suppose one of the downsides to typing in this way is that a tone of voice cannot be portrayed.. therefore you perhaps took it as hostile?
i have also just realised from reading back that in my first post i have put in a few words that probably do 'dramatise' it slightly.. however i wont edit it as i dont feel i have anything to hide.
regardless... i am currently looking at the roster for october and as it stands, briefly, you are scheduled to do GS from Mon-Sat from 800-1700 with sun off.. some of the days are later starts and go through till 2am.

- as for my perspective, i too have studied whilst working full time hours.. and understand a demanding work/studyload. Neither was i the sort to 'go overboard with my study in ground school.. its exhausting, but not hard and i found that with proper rest, food and 'other time' it was quite balanced. i am once again sorry that my post was taken out of context with negative doom and gloom undertones - something for which i am sure others will agree isnt really my style ;)

pinklemonae
11th Oct 2006, 10:38
regardless... i am currently looking at the roster for october and as it stands, briefly, you are scheduled to do GS from Mon-Sat from 800-1700 with sun off.. some of the days are later starts and go through till 2am.

No worries. I appreciated your honesty :)

I am trying to figure out where I will have time to go to the gym..Haha

Thanks for letting me know the GS time frame.

ditzyboy
11th Oct 2006, 17:27
but I can provide many examples of of unsubstantiated claims.

Well may I back up Leane7 in saying that after five and a half years at that company I did find Jetstar to be both a bad employer and a horrible place to work due to nasty and incompetent management. :ugh: (Nothing to do with the LCC operation and wearing a T-shirt to work. And the crew I worked with were fantastic!)

If five and a half years at an employer that had not even existed for six years (as in employing cabin crew) does not count as something and entitle one to an opinion I don't know what does.

flyboynath
12th Oct 2006, 06:04
Leane7 - Of course it's not a threat, but lets keep things in perspective. Firstly, I have been through a hell of alot with Adecco and now Jetconnect, there are times I get so frustrated with the ways things happen. I'm not saying we can't improve things, but to do that we need to work together, as I read all these forums all I see is mud-slinging and that does not help any of us at all. However, we are not employed directly by QF, and we are not employed under Australian law (and for the record I am an Australian), and quite frankly, times have changed. Yes, things are looking up for us, but we will never have what the Australian bases have, infact, I don't think they will have it for much longer. Like it or not, we have been a success for Qantas, we have managed to reduce the contribution margins and variable costs and that all amounts to greater profits. Our base is now the benchmark of things to come.

Sorry people, back on the subject now. If anyone is considering weather they want to fly with Jetstar, the only way you are ever going to know for sure is to do it. Sure, it's great to get other peoples perspective of the job, contract etc, and you should, but thats all it is - their perspective. Everybody is motivated in different ways and there will always be negatives to it, just remember there are positives... those of us who are in the industry are proof of that, or we wouldn't be here! Take it for what it is and enjoy it and never loose sight of the fact that if you don't like it, it's okay, there is life after QF/Jetstar.

Good luck to those of you who are about to start and to those still waiting.

sebby
12th Oct 2006, 06:41
Some great points there FBN... im another aussie who works for the lovely people who reside in the glasshouse.

The history of jetconnect takes it back to being a "trial" for all the costcutting in the world QF could do in the dust of Ansett NZ. It has worked out brilliantly for them. Aswell as their large, ever expanding short haul operation they are now at the helm of expanding the "spirit of australia's" soon to be largest base. LOL!!! AUCKLAND!

Get used to it cos it wont change and there is soon to more of that kiwi twang in the voice of the QF Long Haul crew and many of the short skips accross the ditch.

We all know that all JQ A320 flights are operated by jetconnect short haul cabin crew based in CHC dont we??

Thats the spirit - fresh spirit :}

flyboynath
12th Oct 2006, 11:18
I accept your point of view Overhere, although, you seem to be using the term "undermining" rather loosely. On one hand there are people arguing that Jetstar has created jobs that otherwise would not have existed, on the other, there are people who claim that by accepting the conditions, all crew will suffer in the long term by lowering the bar. I believe both of these arguments have merits.

I think there should be room for negotiation and I do not support AWA's or the current govt. We could all look backwards, scratch our heads and ask "why?" or point the finger at each other. Because, for some reason those who do accept those conditions are expected to decline a job offer - incase they are undermining those who have worked hard over the years to secure the very conditions being eroded. But who is undermining who? It has been stated by many people before me in other threads that we are all playing into GD's hands. We cannot possibly ignore that, there is definately a "them/us" mentality between every base, every division and now every group.... the battle is being lost, not because someone decided to accept a job at a lower condition, but because we are not united.

The conditions being offered are not necessarily ideal, but they fall within the legal boundaries on all accounts. The way I see it (and this is my view, not asking you to adopt it), if it becomes too much for Jetstar, they will expand off shore and more jobs will be lost overseas.

Furthermore, I certainly was not critisising anyone, I support the prospect of improving conditions for everyone, beit AUS, AKL, LHR or BKK. But while we scrap over issues like this, we take two more steps back.

As for telling me to do some research, I made it very clear in my post which information was directed where. And, who sets the industry standards out of curiosity? Is it Qantas who regulates the "industry standards"? There is a clear difference between standards and benchmarks.

I am not critisising anyone who is employed by mainline, and I'm not encouraging anyone to undermine anyone else. I was merely trying to show these new comers it is not all bad, not all good (I've acknowledged that), but not all bad.

Thanks Leane7, I'm not going to cry poor me over anything that has happened. It's what happens onboard that counts more to me to an extent, especially when we are all together for long periods of time. But, lets just say we have common ground, things are getting better and to an extent we are in a very stable position now. It can be difficult to seperate emotion from the reality sometimes, but it's important we try. As for the shared hotel rooms, I have heard the same thing, but I don't know if there is any truth to it. I would like to assume it is false, but I'll reserve judgement on that.

ShesGreatintheGalley
12th Oct 2006, 12:07
all the people i know who are currently either in a JQI GS or about to start one say that the sharing hotel room thing is false. However i wouldnt trust management anyway as everything in the contract is 'subject to management approval'/'subject to change for operational requirements'/'liable to change at managements discretion'... there seem to be NO boundaries as to what rights you have and where you draw the line at what involvement they have in everything.
The being available 7 days a week thing even on your days off is a great example. If operationally required.. they can at a moments notice shuffle your entire roster around to suit them..

guess we should just wait and see.

mamslave
12th Oct 2006, 14:10
i was a mam casual for years, they would always change our rosters around at the last minute due to schedule changes, etc etc

sometimes it was crap, sometimes u got better duties, sure it stuffs your life about, but there is nothing we could do about it.

i did though, i left earlier this year....!

kids its all over, everyone hates everyone, the qf crew hate jetstar, long haul hate short haul, akl are envious of pay scales in oz, the list goes on. qantas/jetstar will always win unfortunately, and crew would never unite against the company. Way too many "its all about me" people in the flying world, its just not what it used to be!

pinklemonae
12th Oct 2006, 20:54
kids its all over, everyone hates everyone, the qf crew hate jetstar, long haul hate short haul, akl are envious of pay scales in oz, the list goes on. qantas/jetstar will always win unfortunately, and crew would never unite against the company. Way too many "its all about me" people in the flying world, its just not what it used to be!

I'm finding this all really intriguing..

flyboynath
12th Oct 2006, 21:48
Couldn't have put it better my self mamslave.!

lowerlobe
13th Oct 2006, 01:39
mamslave,
Your right about the flying game and the race to the bottom is gaining momentum.

Unfortunately there will always be people that do not care about the conditions until they are doing the job and by that stage it is too late, darth has won and has got his airline off the ground.You only have to look at the guy who started MAM and know that he was once with the union,that just about say's it all.

If you think the job is not the same as a few years ago ,you should have seen it 30 years ago

I have seen puddles in the footpath deeper than some of the people in this game

jqfella
16th Oct 2006, 09:38
Talking about conditions and the race to the bottom. Ive just done a trip out of another base and could not believe that some people CM where emptying bins? Not the majority though!
Well the FAAA has just put out ANOTHER newsletter advising that its not our job to do this. When are these crew goin to learn!!!!
Some of the crew are definately leading the race to the bottom .
Good on ya!
Who are they goin to blame when the company tell ya to vacuum the aircraft before sign off
OOPS YOU MISSED A SPOT
HOW BOUT SOME PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT!!!!
The old conquer and divide attitude of the company. Report the Cabin Manager when they dont empty the bins.
I worked with some good Cabin Managers and they made it quite clear ITS NOT THERE JOB. WE ARE NOT CLEANERS.
There are alot of us who are new to flying. I for one am listening to these experienced people.
Educate your fellow crew on the consequences of these minority who are out to destroy our conditions. Think about the future and if this is still going to be a career in 5 years not the CHURN and BURN FACTORY

:ugh:

blokehostie
16th Oct 2006, 11:38
I agree jqfella, when are these people going to learn????????
My opinion is that if the company wants crew to empty the bins on each turnaround, then damn well pay crew for it!!! Seriously, why does jetstar think that we should keep doing more and more and getting nothing for it??

Oh...just realised....what a stupid post this is.........I can answer my own question............its quite simple really............CAUSE CREW KEEP DOING MORE AND MORE FOR NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on guys, really take a think about the long term implications, as jqfella said, how you going to react when the company says lets get crew to do the overnight cleans on the aircraft............hmmmm I wonder!!!!!!!!!!!!

wgtn06
17th Oct 2006, 23:53
Hi all, I m new to hear. Sorry if i post my question in the wrong place.

I had my assessment interview day with jetconnect LH last week. I have a few questions that i m wondering if anyone can answer, I would appricate all your helps.

1. I have read lots of msgs here. I m a bit confused about jetconnect n jetstar. Could anyone tell me the differences?

2. From your expeirence, How long does it take them to get back to me after assessment day? When will be the training day in Sydney n Auckland?

3. I m currently living in wellington. I m wondering if i have a chance not to relocate myself to auckland for the position.

4. I have read lots msg about work condition with jectconnect. how much is the base salary? So many different allowances, Who can explain a bit to me? Well, i speak another language, does it make much differences in terms of chosing route n allowances.

Again, I would appricate your answer.

I wish I could get the chance.

Cheers.

galley girl
25th Oct 2006, 10:29
Is it possible to fly part time with jetstar? Do you have to wait a couple of years and is the wait list long? Hope someone can fill me in - thanks

sebby
25th Oct 2006, 10:56
A friend of mine flies part time, he is at uni too.

He has been with them since their startup (didnt come from impulse/link) and has been PT for 6 months..

jqfella
25th Oct 2006, 20:53
The p/time list is huge approx 200 on it, At this stage i would say there will be a 4 to 5 year wait at the least, and thats being generous.

air doris
26th Oct 2006, 04:37
I don't fly for JetStar but do fly for the group. It's interesting to hear that some crew are taking it upon themselves to go beyond their duty and empty bins, etc. Please take my advice, this all seems very good and well and congratulations for thinking you are doing the right thing, it's great to hear that some of your crew are so enthusiastic but someone "else" is paid to do this job and if you do continue this you will be taking work away from those actually contracted to do it. In the end you will start to hear from the unions of those employed to do these jobs. I know you think you are just trying to help and I completely understand the ethic but I learn't years ago, even just folding blankets we were reported. Obviously if there was going to be a delay I'm sure assistance would be appreciated but I have been in a lot of trouble in the past for doing another departments job. We are all lucky to be where we are, lets keep them all employed too.

Mr Seatback 2
26th Oct 2006, 06:36
Unfortunately for us, air doris, we haven't had cleaners on our aircraft (except for overnight cleans) since JQ started...meaning if we don't empty the rubbish cart, no one else will...which may be fine for a couple of sectors, but where do you put crap after then?

Not a complex issue...but a difficult one for the crew at the coalface.

cityflier
27th Oct 2006, 05:12

He has been with them since their startup (didnt come from impulse/link) and has been PT for 6 months..

No idea where you got that info from, JQ has only been up n running 2 and a bit years, and the list is HUGE! And the opportunities that arise for part time are very rare!

The list goes on and on, and as jqfella said, at LEAST 5 years, ive been on it for 3 years... Not long to wait now... *Sighs*

sebby
27th Oct 2006, 09:16
Well I can only go by what he has told me. He said he got part time six months ago when he enrolled in uni and i dont have any reason not to believe him.

I guess the question has been asnwered, yes you can but clearly its not entirely easy. Over and out.

pinklemonae
27th Oct 2006, 09:56
No idea where you got that info from, JQ has only been up n running 2 and a bit years, and the list is HUGE! And the opportunities that arise for part time are very rare!

The list goes on and on, and as jqfella said, at LEAST 5 years, ive been on it for 3 years... Not long to wait now... *Sighs*

He could have started as a FT and then requested to go as PT.

JQ are going to be recruiting casuals soon too..

Mr Seatback 2
27th Oct 2006, 11:13
JQ can't recruit casuals like MAM/QF...if they recruit them, they can only be for a 'temporary period', such as to cover mat leave, sudden expansion, and so on.

Not as easy as it is for QF.

cityflier
27th Oct 2006, 12:44
Jetstar ... Casuals... Not in the near future...

Apparently we are heading to Broome and starting new destinations in the summer coming, we need more full time staff to cover the flying... They wont emply casuals to fly it, defeats the purpose of a LCC...

pinklemonae
27th Oct 2006, 20:19
^^^ Not in the near future? Probably not...But we were told it would happen the other day in a certain power point presentation. I doubt they would ever turn to all casuals though.

jetstarFA
27th Oct 2006, 23:31
LCC operators like JQ will do whatever they have to do to get a plane from A to B and back ... If it means casuals for a 3 month period they will do it...... JQ parent company uses casuals to benefit their operation..... Why not ours :}

priapism
28th Oct 2006, 01:26
Maurice Alexander Management ( MAM) is a company which provides contract casual labour - once for Ansett , now for Q.F.

At any company's request it can provide casual labour.

Ansett needed casuals to cover the peaks of business when resources were thin on the ground . It also facilitated the introduction of a much more flexible rostering system which meant that you could dump up to 43 hours from your roster ( losing pay of course ) and attempt to pick up more suitable work from the dumped pool of work ,or accept less pay and have the time off.(handy if you needed a weekend off or 2)
Work not picked up by Ansett f/a's was then allocated to MAM , as was any sick leave etc which could not be covered. The employment of casuals was pivotal in allowing us full timers more flexibility , particularly those at the bottom of the seniority list (who were given first pick at the dumped duties in reverse order of seniority) We all viewed the initial utilisation of casuals with some trepidation and the doomsday theorists saw it as the end of the world as we knew it . It was proven not to be so .

That said , the faaa had a huge say in the implementation of casuals and set limitations on their use. Who knows what would have happened if the company was given open slather to utilise casuals?

If JQ implements casual f/a's make sure that the FAAA gets involved heavily with the agreement, otherwise casualisation could seriously erode full time entitlements.

Be careful.

Mr Seatback 2
28th Oct 2006, 11:06
Casual clause for JQ Domestic as follows:

"18.3. (f) The following criteria will be used for the utilisation of casual Flight Attendants:

i) Casual Flight Attendants will be used to complement the full time Flight Attendant establishment numbers for reserve duties and for short periods such as expansion of the Jetstar network or where insufficient work is available in a base to build full lines of flying

ii) Casual Flight Attendants may cover periods of leave, including maternity leave
... (cont)"

Pretty much been the case since the last EBA.

airbusthreetwenty
28th Oct 2006, 23:55
flyperth...

Well the criteria says Between 163cm - 183cm in height...

I'm not too sure how strict they are with it if you're say one or two cms out... Perhaps with your current experience they would look past it.

Good luck!

Iguanahead
29th Oct 2006, 06:55
I know of at least two crew that are less than 163cm. Both had to do a "reach" test to ensure they could cover the door in an emergency.

These days you can't openly discriminate against people for physical attributes when they are clearly able to do the job. With your past experience I don't see it as a problem.

Good luck with it all, you could also add some height to the "do". :ok:

YONLY
6th Nov 2006, 11:48
On the Jetstar website they are recruiting Japanese nationals to be based in Sydney. I gather they are going to sponsor their visas also.

If American Express can fill its Japanese call centre in Sydney without having to go to Japan why does Jetstar have to go to Japan to get a few flight attendants? Maybe Japanese already living in Sydney who are aware of the cost of living do not find the conditions desirable? And what about all the Australians that can speak Japanese? Qantas have a lot of Japanese speaking Australian cabin crew don't they?

Mr Seatback 2
6th Nov 2006, 22:17
"And what about all the Australians that can speak Japanese? Qantas have a lot of Japanese speaking Australian cabin crew don't they?"

They work for MAM now.
And Qantas crew would be mad to leave QF for JQ given the pay difference.

ShesGreatintheGalley
7th Nov 2006, 12:33
all the people that are currently part time with JQ are old schoolers who were around BEFORE jetstar began. anyone that started with the birth of jetstar would be mid to bottom of list. sorry to burst his bubble, but unless he is playing the system somehow by using illness/personal problems as an excuse (and there are some out there that are - which is disgusting if its true) he cant possibly be part time.
If you joined the company now.. you would have a roughly three to five year wait for part time, if not more.
You cant start off as FT and 'request' to be part time.. you have to go on the list and wait for heaven and earth to move.

i dont know about casuals soon.. it would make sense, and i am suprised they havent done anything about it so far, but one thing that has suprised me is why are they giving new recruits a FT employment under JQ on the EBA with staff travel? dont get me wrong.. i think its great they are, and i hope they continue to do so.. but for a company that is so goddamn tight.. it baffles me why they havent put the new crew on AWAs with no QF staff travel already.. i mean, they would still pull in the numbers for ground schools and its not like it wouldnt be SAVING them money surely?

blokehostie
7th Nov 2006, 12:38
Out of interest, what has having staff travel got to do with it?? I can understand you saying about AWA's but staff travel????????

cunninglinguist
7th Nov 2006, 22:01
" they work for MAM now, QF crew would be mad to leave for JQ "
last I checked, working for MAM is being a casual contractor, no QF benefits.
Sure, there's the promise of full time QF ( eventually ) but with the projected expansion of JQ.....................
Maybe working for JQ not so mad after all?

RedTBar
7th Nov 2006, 23:35
The problem working or J* is that you would need a second job to makes ends meet.That leads to another problem and that is when would you have the time.

I wonder if you could argue to centerlink that you are below the poverty line when employed by J* and you want to apply for the dole and claim that working for J* is work experience.

cunninglinguist
8th Nov 2006, 02:44
Yeh, you may have alot of fun convincing Centrelink that $1500 after tax per fortnight ( short haul ) is below the poverty line.
I think you had better sell the porsche :p

indamiddle
8th Nov 2006, 03:13
qf makes money out of staff travel otherwise we wouldn't have it.
fuel surcharges both domestically and on international routes have
pushed up staff travel costs.
if u intend to travel international try using 'zed' fares...no fuel surcharges!
still have to buy them through staff travel.
gozed.com
QF
ZEDFARES

www.flyzed.com
QFA

these extra bits are to access the sites
bucketloads of eu usa and asian a/l accept them
supposedly can't use them on qf flights
happy holidays

RedTBar
8th Nov 2006, 03:33
Cunning,

So you are telling us that J* domestic make $39000 a year after tax ?

That makes it around $ 65000 to $70000 gross....oh sure I believe that.

They must be selling around 200 headsets and sandwiches per flight each and working 23 hours 58 minutes per day and selling real estate on the job as well to make that money or are you talking about first officers

cunninglinguist
8th Nov 2006, 05:53
I gross 83 P/A and take home 60, thats equals 23k in tax per year.( I think )
You reckon the missus should be paying 26-31k per year in tax on 65-70k per year, so let me get this straight: she earns 10-13k less gross and pays 3-8 more in tax??
what country you in:confused:
While your down at centrelink you may want to find a decent accountant, if you are paying those rates.

I can only go on what gets deposited into our bank acct each fortnight, other than an obvious axe grinding exercise, what are you working your figures out from??

My partner and I have both worked for lesser operators in the past and are both very happy where we are, not everyone is lucky ( or smart, in my case ) enough to work for qf, nor does everyone want to work in the sandpit or fragrant harbour.

I have nothing against criticysm, it's just BS I cant stand.

jetstarFA
8th Nov 2006, 06:30
Red T Bar -
JQ Domestic Flight attendants are on a good thing....
I made $55k gross which was about $39000 net (from memory without looking at my tax return)..... I have gone up to Level 3 so I should make a bit more this year.....My minimum without Overnights or commission is about $1400 net a fortnight.....

Not too bad for a low cost FA......who gets 10 days off a month and full staff travel benefits and 20 days sick leave and 6 weeks annual leave.....

I hear all these people saying how they can't afford to live on a JQ salary, well I guess they should work 40 hour week at a call centre and earn $32000 gross and no benefits.....

RedTBar
9th Nov 2006, 03:56
Cunning ,

Your telling me that you make 83K a year and your wife makes 65 to 70 K a year as J* F/A’s and you reckon you don’t like BS

pinklemonae
9th Nov 2006, 05:52
The problem working or J* is that you would need a second job to makes ends meet.That leads to another problem and that is when would you have the time.

I wonder if you could argue to centerlink that you are below the poverty line when employed by J* and you want to apply for the dole and claim that working for J* is work experience.

Why do people think that JQ pay so little compared to other airlines?

I don't really understand this..

jetstarFA
9th Nov 2006, 06:01
PINK - you are so true,,,,

I think people think that because they paid $49 for a flight that we as crew get paid $250 a week...

Yes we get less than say a 10 year Mainline Flight attendant but we get paid enough to keep a bottle of wine on standby and treat the kids to a private school education.....

People complain about our pay and being not able to survive,,,, I think it is just galley drama talk.

cityflier
9th Nov 2006, 08:04
I dunno, but dont comment if you dont know on JQ pay... i earnt 60K last year before tax... so dont say things that you dont know are quite true...

:)

twiggs
9th Nov 2006, 09:24
Cunning,
So you are telling us that J* domestic make $39000 a year after tax ?
That makes it around $ 65000 to $70000 gross....oh sure I believe that.

Tax rates 2005-06
Taxable income Tax on this income
$0 – $6,000 Nil
$6,001 – $21,600 15c for each $1 over $6,000
$21,601 – $63,000 $2,340 plus 30c for each $1 over $21,600
$63,001 – $95,000 $14,760 plus 42c for each $1 over $63,000
Over $95,000 $28,200 plus 47c for each $1 over $95,000

This is a cut and paste from the ATO website which shows quite clearly that taxable income of $63000 only attracts $14760 of tax = $48240 take home, substantially more than $39000.

Maybe you should check your facts before you post RedTBar

RedTBar
10th Nov 2006, 02:03
Fair enough Twiggs, I’m happy to be corrected with my maths.It had been a long day and my inbuilt calculator was a bit off.

The funny thing I was having a shot at J*’s conditions rather than J* crew because the crew I know are not happy with their pay and only look at it as a short term prospect.

Although it would have been nice for Cunning to answer what is really a simple question.

As far as that goes I admit I am surprised you could amke 60K or so from J* so can anyone here post the basic wages for a J* F/A before any allowances and how much you can make on selling food and drink.

cityflier
10th Nov 2006, 02:27
First year flight attendant is on $39947 per year and goes up from there onwards.

Live day payments for first years is about $23.50 per hour, and goes up after every year of serivce.

GG commission is bout $200 to $300 per month, depends on your duties and where you fly, out of syd we get about that.

We often get over nights, which is tax free, as every airline is... Sometimes we dont get them.

Meal break allowances for not recieving them, we are paid every hour until we recieve a break, after 5 hours from sign on.

Shoe alowances we get every fornight, which is basic groomiung allowances.

Working days off, which can happen a bit if your willing to work, $250 per day..

Add all these up... You wonder how i earnt $60k ... And im a level 2 flight attendant... :) Hope this helps you understand a little better. The conditions arent that bad... And we are permanent FULL TIME, no a causal. I get 6 weeks AL a year, and stacks of sick leave... :)

ditzyboy
10th Nov 2006, 02:35
Hey Kids...

Let ditzyboy tell you how it is... It's my honesty policy again...

Pay at Jetstar for flight attendants is pretty good for one's workload. I got $55k and $52k the tax years I was "lucky" enough to be employed there.

Inflight service at The Star takes 5-20 mins. Last night it took two hours to serve supper in the 767 back from HKG (then another 75 mins for Breakfast)... The rest of the time spent doing Duty Free, C209s and soothing people's egos about the fact the aircraft didn't have Skybeds and PTVs etc... I can tell you where the easier money is in this instance.

It seems most of the people bagging Jetstar pay are not actually employed by The Star. It is management that make Jetstar so inhumane. Not the pay. I laugh every time a Short Haul colleague whinges about how terrible management are. Jetstar crew should get a bonus for working under these terrible people.

As for the money. I have done that math. If you compare apples to apples (mostly day trips). The money is almost indentical for the first three years (Jetstar don;t want you for longer than that!), except at Jetstar you get at least one day off more per month compared to Short Haul (permament that is).

And Cityflyer is right... The base salary is much higher ($10k pa!), which comes in handy on annual leave and sick leave scenarios. And you have full time benefits (staff travel) over MAM.

Sorry but it's the truth.

jetstarFA
10th Nov 2006, 03:35
Lowerlobe - With the username "jetstarFA" you would assume I am a JQ Flight Attendant.... I guess my sense of humour was lost within the forum---

THE FACTS - (Not classified info as all awards can be found on the web if you look hard enough)

As Yr 3 FA

Base $41,077
Commisson $200 per month
tax free O/N allowances $88 per night (average 6 -8 per month)
Overtime 1.5 and 2.0 over 10 hours
Live day rates $25.18 per hour
Day off Draft $250 - 2 per month MAX
CM upgrade duties $28.14 per hour (1 or 2 a month every so often)
Shoe allowance $12(per pay)
Missed Rest Break payments ($80 - $100 per month)

15 days sick leave
6 weeks annual leave
Full Staff Travel

Probably missed 1 or 2 but off the top of my head thats the juice.

All this adds up and at the end of the day all JQ f/a know what we get paid.... The service that Ditzy said is a 5-20 min if we are lucky....

My Pay Slip today was $1682.90 net as I had a couple of live days and O/T on there... Not bad for LCC...

Puts food on the table for the kids I know that much

:D :D

twiggs
10th Nov 2006, 10:31
Thanks for those figures, they confirm what someone told me a while back.
Not too bad I must say.
As these figures are for domestic ops, I will be very interested to see what the long haul crew end up earning when they are in full swing.

lowerlobe
10th Nov 2006, 18:36
Twiggs, I had to laugh when I read your post regarding the tax rates applicable in Australia.Your simplistic cut and paste of the tax rates mirrors your view on life.

Unfortunately, the issues that face us are usually a little more complex. Only you would suggest let alone try to condense the many volumes that are the Australian Tax laws into a paragraph with approximately 50 words.

If the tax system was that simple then we would have no need for accountants and our tax returns could be completed in less than 5 minutes. Unfortunately our tax situations are as individual as we are. You only have to look at how little some of our more wealthy members of society pay compared to others. I noticed that you did not even bother to acknowledge RedTbar’s apology and that is a pity.

It is interesting to see the pay scales at J* and you can see why Darth wants so badly to reduce the conditions for the new sibling’s Australian based crew and introduce a Thai base.

On another note there were some interesting ads during the week on flights to Thailand. The figures for J* International return were basically the same for Thai airlines and the latter is a full service airline and includes some accommodation .The argument that the lower pay for staff is for the benefit of the traveler seems to be a load of the proverbial.

jetstarFA
10th Nov 2006, 22:26
www.wagenet.gov.au

is a great source of info on all EBA,,, QF LH, QF SH, regionals....

blokehostie
11th Nov 2006, 00:24
Jetstar Fa
How bout a reality check. You must be doing big sales to consistently get 200 to 300 per month commission.
Working 2 days off most months?
6 to 8 overnights every month?
Think about who is reading this site!!!!!
We are definately never overpaid and what happens when the day off drafts dry up and no overnights think about the drop in pay then!

jetstarFA
11th Nov 2006, 11:37
Blokehostie -

I guess you didn't read the post properly so instead of answering I will bang my head against a brick wall......

cut and paste from the EBA..... all figures were approx.... If you want the real figures I can meet you for a coffee and we can go through the last financial year of my payslips for further clarification or I can give my kiosk login.....

lowerlobe
12th Nov 2006, 00:37
If you look in Todays (Sunday) papers you will see ads for SIA and full service flights to Thailand etc...emphasising full service and blankets and pillows for basically the same as the new fares for J* international.

speedbirdhouse
12th Nov 2006, 01:21
Yes............

In a few years time dixon and his hench men will announce the failure of jetscar international, have all the aircraft re-painted in QF colours, issue new uniforms to crew and have these "new" Qantas aircrew operating for third world [or worse], terms and condtions.

Ala Australian Airlines......

pinklemonae
12th Nov 2006, 06:03
I don't understand why no one complains about MAM or DJ on this forum?

It really baffles me...

lowerlobe
12th Nov 2006, 09:03
Pink,

Imagine if you will that J* or the parent company is not happy with it’s cost infrastructure.This was the case with AO so they gave birth to J*.

Now they have this new airline called AirDarth and they pay the staff less than they pay you guys.So they start giving your flying to AirDarth and your job is looking a bit shaky.

They tell you that if you want to continue with your jobs you will have to be more productive.This is another way of telling you to work more hours for less pay while the execs are lining their pockets with almost immoral bonus’s.

Would you be rapt in the new airline and it’s success?

Our company has/had nothing to do with VB so that is another matter.

In essence I have pointed out that the media line of cutting staff costs has nothing to do with a better deal for the punter as the ads for SIA and Thai have so glaringly exposed.Are you happy about the announcement of a Thai base for cabin crew?

It is not you that I am having a shot at,it is the hypocritical rubbish that they come out with day after day.

I have just done a computer based course which mentions the positive aspect and advantage of the unique Australian culture in cabin crew and their interaction with the customer.This is called “Where the experience is everything”

Then in the same breath they hire foreign nationals as cabin crew in overseas bases and tell you that Australian crew are too expensive and you will lose some of your flying.I honestly do not know how they can look at themselves in the mirror every morning.

ShesGreatintheGalley
13th Nov 2006, 04:01
people are not winging about MAM or QF on here because its a Jetstar thread!
The pay is not bad.. for what we do, in terms of service, its good.
the job itself is very easy.. its just exhausting and slightly demoralising.
The crew and their friendliness and 'family atmosphere' are prob some of the best in the industry... but management are pathetic.
this pay is definatley liveable. i couldnt imagine working in a crappy 9-5 job, or ground shiftworking job working more hours for the same pay and no benefits.
Like everyone else has said though, you have to love the job to be able to do this for a career. i dont know why, esp when i look at the ridiculous things that the company come up with.. ('haveyoueverheardofanairline.....?')
but i do love my job and the people i work with and i must just be a glutton for punnishment, because the **** just kind of bounces off me, and the crap we deal with kind of motivates me to keep going
(dont worry.. i will be seeking therapy as soon as i can get in to the EAP)
i think it will soon be a different story though for newer recruits... when they begin to start reducing the 'benefits' and/or start bringing them in on a different award.
MrSeatback2 - do you think this will happen eventually? How can it not?
and when is the next part time intake.... someone told me that there would be another one in 6 months!!

jack red
13th Nov 2006, 04:16
I don't understand why no one complains about MAM or DJ on this forum?

pinklemonae - they do sweetheart but this ain't a MAM / DJ thread :{

AOskippy
13th Nov 2006, 06:43
Saw the whole crew from Jetstar Asia in CNS the other day, now they are doing the SIN-DRW-CNS run, they are well and truly here operating and overnighting in CNS. Lovely crew, nothing against them, but have everything against GD. This route was operated by Australian based crew, be it QF SH or AO, now it's gone to overseas based poor cheap labours. Sad!!! With the Jetstar Asia aircraft, they covered the 'Asia' bit so it doesn't attract too much attentions, sad!!! How many more routes will be lost to overseas based crew? When is it going to stop? Why don't they replace the most costly GD with a CEO from India? Since they've done that to the IT department. That'll save QF heaps of money.

surfside6
13th Nov 2006, 07:59
Before AO Jetstar or Regional/Domestic were just gleams in King Rats eye, QF Longhaul were pioneering all these routes on 200 Series Jumbos...20 years ago
We had slips in TSV and CNS was like a second home.
We knew KIX NGO like the back of our hand
Perhaps now you know how it feels to lose destinations and routes.

cartexchange
13th Nov 2006, 08:09
my sentiments exactly surfside.....

now they know how we feel and why we are so passionate about the loss of traditional flying to divisions and other groups that continually try and undercut us.:ugh:

jetstarFA
13th Nov 2006, 09:10
You are right... the benchmark was set by QF Long Haul pioneering these roots 20 years ago when most of us were still running around the backyard in our Transformer outfits...

Remember that JQ Cabin Crew have as Much power as QF crew LH and SH and AO crew... NONE...

We all accept that flying in this day and age is subject to the controls and narcissistic ambitions of QF/JQ/AO managers who couldn't care less for the crew and just want to line Senior Management pockets with a few more crisp $100 bills...

If I had my way I would be flying like QF crew did back in the 80's and 90's but I, unfortunately, have as much control over my flying and the direction and future of my flying career, as the rest of you do.....

If we as a unit of Cabin Crew QF/AO/JQ were a united group we could make a difference. But we are not, and the divide that continues to pit us against each other will grow and QF management, will have an ununited worforce and will further be able to errode the conditions and quality of flying that we all dreamed about, and which is the reason why we still continue to go to work most days...

Next time you see a JQ crew member pax on a mainline flight or on staff travel (not that we ever admit it as we are too scared) please remember that we don't want to take anyones jobs or take away your flying lines....We just want to fly and hopefully have a job that we love in the next 10 years..:D

airbusthreetwenty
13th Nov 2006, 09:44
Next time you see a JQ crew member pax on a mainline flight or on staff travel (not that we ever admit it as we are too scared)

"...Uh hi, i'm uh...Qantas Group staff listed on flight xxx"

AOskippy
13th Nov 2006, 12:29
Surfside6 & Cartexchange, you guys are missing my important point, the vital part of my concern is OVERSEAS based crew taking over the routes, not AUSTRALIAN based crew. Personally I have no issues over losing DPS to JQI, we all know it's the company's decision; it's neither yours nor any other crew’s call. As long as the route shifting is beneficial and is kept in Australia, I'm happy to fly wherever they want me to. But seeing overseas-based crew operating on our soil, it's a scary stuff.

Back to the old story again, we have no intentions of taking anyone's job away, it's all part of the management's game. And just remember, QF LH lost KIX/NGO way long before AO even started, need me say more.

JetstarFA, couldn't have put the words better myself. I can’t speak on other group’s behalf, but you are always welcome on AO operated QF flight, we are all part of QF, you shouldn't have to feel intimidated. Welcome aboard.;)

KBear
15th Nov 2006, 21:52
I'm attending the 1300 assessment centre in sydney, is anyone attending?
Kbear

Katiekayt
19th Nov 2006, 06:31
Yes i am attending the assesment day on Monday the 20th? does any one know who these work? maybe what questions the will ask?

Please help..
Kate

12Fly
20th Nov 2006, 08:36
Everyone whinges about how bad JQI will be and how bad JQ dom is yet time and time again people apply for it... Do you really think it will change when you get there... Because it wont.....
Consider a career change

Well Said Jetstar FA...

12Fly
20th Nov 2006, 09:02
See Replying with quotes (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249532) thread

flyboynath
20th Nov 2006, 09:32
Leane7 raises a very valid point. Being in the same position I would like to add to that. We didn't take anything off anyone, it was an opportunity presented and I accepted it. Weather I agree on what GD and his followers do is irrelevant. I wanted a job as a flight attendant, Adecco (now Jetconnect) were hiring, I applied and here I am. Pointing the finger at overseas crew, or anyone else is counter productive. It's been going on for 7 years and where has it gotten anyone.

Leane7 (who I'm assuming is around my age) and I have about 40 years left in the workforce, and we'll probably be working long after most of the crew I work with now are gone. This is as good as it gets for my generation, lucky for you it's the worst you've seen it.

In my opinion, if a workforce is so passionate about their jobs and are concerned about their conditions eroding, they should unite, quit throwing insults at one another and come up with some constructive ways to prevent the situation getting worse.

12Fly
20th Nov 2006, 09:42
I just want to say.. It depends on what base your in on how much commission you get paid each month. And if your doing monings or arvo's Mornings seem to be less than arvo's. on commission. I also want to say it's not that bad at JQ, it does not matter how you do the service, ie> Would you like to purchase something from the menu or Would you care for a refreshment..(Full service) We are providing a service for the travelling puplic like it or not.. And if you do not like it what keeps you in the job? Not managment the door is there only have to give 4 weeks notic, everyone is replacable.. It's how you make your own day not how managment make it, some times you just have to go oh well **** happens, and lets have a great day! I have more great days than non great days, but I'm always smilling and laughing, I just love life. And I do have bad days but no one knows... :\

Vince1
22nd Nov 2006, 21:46
JQ isn't everyone's idea of a great flying job. However, some current crew are very happy and I think that needs to be respected.

We all have bad days and yes this industry isn't the same as what it used to be. Are we ever going to get the good old days back? I don't know.

I am JQ crew and I must admit I have bad days when I think "why do I bother"? But come to think of it doesn't everyone?- no matter what you do.

As a whole no one wants to take jobs or routes away from QF. We are all part of this group and we should try to support eachother. I urge all crew to take the time to smile say hello if you pass eachother or on a paxing flight. Think of what it must be like for some JQ crew using duty travel on QF. It is true, it sometimes can be a little scary to say you are JQ. Only because we don't know what type of a response we will receive. At the end of the day we are all cabin crew no matter whether we are wearing the orange jacket or the print.

This next point is to JQ crew............
The only thing that I would have to say to new and sometimes young JQ respect the more senior crew. They have the experience that you don't, they have been in this game longer and sometimes from other airlines.
There has been alot of issues lately at JQ about crew working days off and up grading to CM for the day and attending call outs under two hours etc. Most people totally respect that you want to progress in the company and hey who doesn't like the extra $$$. But please don't sell us all out. In that I mean... you can say no to working 4 sectors on your day off, you get paid the same if you only do 2 sectors. You can say to crewing, "I can help you out with 2 sectors". The role of CM is a serious position. You are in charge of the safety of the pax & crew in the cabin. Please do not take on this position for a day lightly. I would strongly recommend saying no to an upgrade for a day if you have under 1 year flying experience. If you say yes and something happens (God forbid) could you handle it??? Are you willing to except the responsiblity??
In regard to the call out on LIVE days... for god's sake don't answer your phone before the call out time begins. You do not have to and you wont get into trouble!! Please take the 2 hour call out. The more senior crew have worked hard for what conditions we have. I get so sick of hearing from the junior crew" but I wanted to do it or I could get there in 30-45mins" This totally undermines the EBA and our conditions. Once you say yes to a condition outside of the EBA you are setting yourself up for the next time, and guess what the next time may not suit you, but then crewing say" but C....... you did it before" so now you feel obligated to do it again. :ugh:

I try not to be bitter :D ...... and for all the JQ who read this please take my comments as food for thought.

PS; I am not a union delegate.

jetstarFA
22nd Nov 2006, 23:30
Vince1 is on the money....

By rocking up in 10 minutes to do a 4 sector as CM on your day off sets the precedent......

When you say no you have to say it politely...and you won't be in trouble

We all spend hours upon hours readingthe ever updating and gramatically incorect(sic) Manuals yet no one takes the time to read the EBA....

Remember the EBA is a management document.... I hear so many times that crew are being told by crewing the incorrect rest periods and no one challenges it......yet we challenge the long term carpark bus??

My advise is to READ YOUR EBA and understand the rules of it.... At the end of the day it is a management directive that OUR JQ managers adhere to if they need to shaft us with it they will.... If we are late.... our base managers say ... "its in the EBA"

READ AND KNOW YOUR EBA READ AND KNOW YOUR EBA READ AND KNOW YOUR EBA READ AND KNOW YOUR EBA READ AND KNOW YOUR EBA READ AND KNOW YOUR EBA...:D

(I am not a union rep either... wouldn't do that for all the pringles in GG)

airbusthreetwenty
23rd Nov 2006, 10:27
I heard some very, very, interesting gossip RE: JQI, ETOPS & HNL today.

Should be very interesting in the next few weeks.

:ooh:

Vince1
23rd Nov 2006, 21:05
I heard some very, very, interesting gossip RE: JQI, ETOPS & HNL today.

Should be very interesting in the next few weeks.

:ooh:

Are you going to share your gossip??? Do tell :)

YONLY
23rd Nov 2006, 23:25
How did Jetstar International's first flight go? Heard from a friend how the service runs and it sounds like a nightmare! Will be interesting to see how the pax react to this 'brave new world'....

B A Lert
23rd Nov 2006, 23:56
.... And just remember, QF LH lost KIX/NGO way long before AO even started, need me say more. ...........

Not so. Check your facts. It was a matter of QF one day, AO the next.
Please don't start to believe your own spin.

airbusthreetwenty
24th Nov 2006, 06:46
Are you going to share your gossip??? Do tell :)

I'm not going to tell the whole story, but i'll give you another clue.

I've also happened to hear "crisis meetings" getting thrown around.

:E

Vince1
24th Nov 2006, 23:49
I'm not going to tell the whole story, but i'll give you another clue.

I've also happened to hear "crisis meetings" getting thrown around.

:E

Crisis Meeting?? :confused:

If you know something just let your other colleagues know, obviously confidentiality has to be maintained but at least paint the picture a bit more. Aren't we all in this together.

:ok:

roamingwolf
25th Nov 2006, 19:49
Did the grand plan not quite work out?

Charging for food ,drink, blankets and pillows as well as going to the toilet not raise the anticipated and required amount.

Has GD created another J* Asia ?

If the hostile takeover takes place The new owners are really going to want to sell J*!!!

Don Esson
26th Nov 2006, 21:36
hey :rolleyes:

i am attending the Jetstar Morning Tea next week......

Hey. Don't forget to take your money as well as your own utensils!

lowerlobe
27th Nov 2006, 02:32
Or if you are successful in your application for a job you can have the cost of the morning tea taken out of your pay over an agreed length of time.

This is by far the preferred option as it is set up as a salary sacrifice procedure.This then lowers you tax as it lowers your gross amount or you can just claim the amount of the morning tea in your next tax return.J* always endeavours to please both it’s customer and employee.

By the way Iced Vo Vo’s are more expensive than other biscuits so keep an eye on your tab because J* does.

ShesGreatintheGalley
27th Nov 2006, 04:32
on a more humourous note
i wonder what jetstar really would classify as 'morning tea' considering for breakfast we get a half size toblerone bar and a BIG box of shapes each (yes, .. the big box that you normally buy when you are having a party!) and a few olives, half an onion and a cube of fetta for lunch.
it seems that they are trying to fatten us up at breakfast by overloading us with food.. then come lunch time we get a side salad that is so small its practically inhaled let alone eaten...?
morning tea? what could they possibly think of to offer for that?

Annie_o
27th Nov 2006, 04:56
Are you guys actually serious that Jet* charges for the morning Tea? I cant believe that that is right....if it is thats very embarressing for them...!!!

Annie XX

Don Esson
27th Nov 2006, 06:28
Are you guys actually serious that Jet* charges for the morning Tea? I cant believe that that is right....if it is thats very embarressing for them...!!!

Annie XX

Would we dare mislead you, Annie? That said, might I suggest that you should have a redder face than anyone at Jetstar?

Annie_o
28th Nov 2006, 04:20
Thanks Fly Perth....It did sound very far fetched...however there is alot of things posted on here which seem too silly to be real.....I wish you all the best of luck!!

Annie XX

ShesGreatintheGalley
28th Nov 2006, 11:37
however there is alot of things posted on here which seem too silly to be real...

such as boxes of shapes for breakfast perhaps?

Vince1
30th Nov 2006, 20:17
Unfortunately the box of shapes ( chicken and BQQ) are true and during lunch we get a little packet of pretzels and a pre wrapped slice of Christmas cake.

Well, all I can say is I don't have to buy any snack food for Christmas. I will just take my crew meal home :p

Yes, not the best crew meal option. Not sure who was thinking that this would be a healthier alternative.

All crew please submit the appropriate paperwork to complain about the quality and nutrition of these crew meals :8

roamingwolf
30th Nov 2006, 20:34
It looks as though flyperth has deleted all his posts,maybe the morning tea was too expensive or the bikkies were not up to scratch and he has taken a tuk tuk home.Either that or the personality test didn't work out!1

I would like to see the visitors in QCC and other airline offices take a Hogan profile,the results would be worth printing for sure.

Let's see any score under 10 is called a charisma bypass...
visitor number one...6

visitor number two...4

lowerlobe
30th Nov 2006, 23:22
I told Flyperth to be careful of the Iced Vo Vo's ..the company notices these things..

A quick question for those morning tea loving f/a's with J*.Do you guys have clause 11's with your company?

If so maybe flyperth got a clause 11 for eating too many Iced Vo Vo's

flyboynath
1st Dec 2006, 04:24
Good Luck flyperth - knock em dead!

lowerlobe
1st Dec 2006, 05:20
My suggestion flyperth is to be yourself in the interview and eat all the Iced Vo Vo's and Tim Tams you can get your hands on.

Don't forget to tell them how good the bikkies are as well..Good Luck..Break a leg

Vince1
1st Dec 2006, 06:50

He has been with them since their startup (didn't come from impulse/link) and has been PT for 6 months..

I know this post was a while ago, but have just read it. Your friend is lying.

I have been with JQ for nearly 5 years, previously Qantaslink. I have been on the part time list for 2 years. I was offered a position in early November and am starting part time in Feb.

By they way when we were operating as Qantaslink/Impulse we had part time too :=

ShesGreatintheGalley
1st Dec 2006, 06:56
have you ever heard of an airline...where staff are killing themselves to go part time as opposed to a payrise/progression/wanting to go to international etc?

Part time is like the millionaires club... we all look at the chosen few and wish it was us.

hillarious.

Vince1
3rd Dec 2006, 05:19
Hi Just been reading on the Qantas thread talk of a JQ reality TV show.

This is what I know based on what I saw and what other crew told me.

To paint the picture a bit...... already existing domestic CC had to apply externally for JQ international. Eg; apply on JQ website, go through seminar, morning tea etc.

At the JQ international recruitment, think it was from about August a TV crew started filming the recruitment process.

The TV crew would follow applicants during different stages of the seminar process.

During the one on one interviews the TV crew filmed applicants answering their scenario questions. You are given the option to decline the TV crew from filming you. However, this wasn't really promoted.

During my morning tea the film crew were there (they weren't there during my seminar in July). I must admit I was a bit shocked but at the same time found the whole thing hilarious.

Myself and another existing domestic CC were being filmed while talking to a senior JQ management personnel. Honestly,I was just thinking I hope this doesn't make it on TV because I feel really stupid.
I am not sure who this TV show will appeal to. I felt it was a little tacky. Rumor has it that a select few applications were closely followed throughout the whole process and the TV crew filmed training school and first flights etc. I mean really, what is this going to achieve??? The flight attendants image to the general public isn't exactly glowing and especially if you work for a LCC.

I wonder if JQ HR will insist on the AWA conditions to be edited. The daily flying conditions eg; rosters and staff incentives were talked about during the morning tea.

Maybe this is the new Big Brother? Stay tuned!! :ooh:

By the way I was offered a international position, but declined.

Vince1
4th Dec 2006, 21:04
FlyPerth,

What base are you appyling for?

Out of interest who interviewed you. Yes, MrSeatback2 is a wealth of knowledge ;)

Mr Seatback 2
5th Dec 2006, 01:35
My my, such compliments! :O

KBear
5th Dec 2006, 05:49
:D FlyPerth, i'm crossing my fingers for you :D

ShesGreatintheGalley
5th Dec 2006, 09:05
hehe MrSeatback2 you are SO HOT RIGHT NOW!

(*mwah* happy birthday! ;)

ditzyboy
5th Dec 2006, 14:13
Yeah. Happy Birthday, you little book mark. :rolleyes: :O

Vince1
5th Dec 2006, 22:09
My my, such compliments! :O

Oh Honey, you deserve it! Hope you had a great birthday ;)

Vince1
5th Dec 2006, 22:11
See Replying with quotes (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249532) thread

Vince1
12th Dec 2006, 22:48
This morning from the SMH

Qantas Airways has rejected an $11 billion takeover bid from a consortium including Australia's Macquarie Bank.
Qantas said it had received a non-binding conditional proposal to acquire 100 per cent of the company from a consortium including Allco Equity Partners, Allco Finance Group, Macquarie Bank, Canadian buy-out group Onex and US private equity firm Texas Pacific Group.
"The proposed offer price is $5.50 per share and incorporates a number of complex conditions, the requirement for unanimous support by Qantas directors and a break fee," the airline said in a statement.
The off-market bid also has a 90 per cent minimum acceptance condition.
"The non-executive directors consider that the terms of the proposal are not acceptable," Qantas said.

What does everyone think? What next? :hmm:

ShesGreatintheGalley
13th Dec 2006, 03:28
*sigh* thank god.. until the next big event.. which i am sure wont be far off.

hostie w t mostie
13th Dec 2006, 11:56
Hi just wondering if someone could enlighten me...... Are we at QF able to use Jetstar Asia for staff travel? I have rang QF staff travel who said 'yes' so I rang Jetstar. The first person couldn't book me because of a 'schedule change' and said to ring back in a few days. The next time the person said they couldn't book me, but didn't know why????? I asked about Jetstar Asia flights on other days and they couldn't book any??? They said there were seats available on the flight but they couldn't book me a seat. I am confused. I hope someone can help me. Trying to get home for xmas.....:ugh:

Vince1
13th Dec 2006, 21:22
Have heard the QF bid is expected to go ahead today.

Board meeting at 11am!!!

Merry Christmas QF management!

Does any JQ crew not have an opinion on this??

This potentially effects our end of the business..... :ugh:

Just saw on QF thread...... Sold for $5.60

Trooping
14th Dec 2006, 11:22
Post Deleted - Member Permanently Banned

DJTibby
14th Dec 2006, 12:40
trooping, to be fair its not very nice comming in here to attack us. I'm not sure what your job is, but as far as any cabin crew will know were here for everyones safety. If serving coffee and muffins were all we did do you think low cost would bother employing us at all? Not sure who you are or why your here but i suggest you don't make unfair comments (let alone on someones sexuality) on a topic you clearly have no education in.:ugh:

hostie w t mostie
16th Dec 2006, 10:15
Thanks Leane7
I finally talked to someone who knew what they were talking about (I think)
Apparently QF/JQ staff can't fly domesticaly on Jetstar Asia. So if I was flying to Singapore I could get on the flight, but since I am want to fly to Darwin I can't. :=

flitegirl
16th Dec 2006, 22:29
You can't fly CNS/DRW/CNS on JQ as it is a Singapore registered aircraft.

EAAFA
17th Dec 2006, 08:17
Hi fellow Jetstars.

Is it true that only the cabin crew who were originally with Impulse can progress to Qantas (ie anyone who joined after the change to Jetstar is not eligible)?

Thanks

jetstarFA
17th Dec 2006, 08:52
EAAFA

Any cabin crew that does 2 years of continuous service in the trenches with "THE STAR" (Jetstar) can then go on a list to one day progress to Mainline Qantas..... At this stage til MAC BANK get their little paws on us.....:}

Vince1
18th Dec 2006, 03:33
Don't get excited about the career progression list.

As jetstarFA said you get to go on the list after two years of service........ but if you are offered it will be Perth base. Then you must do your time over there to get out, minimum of two years. A bit like our Hobart base - sorry Hobart people it is great down there.

Remember the grass isn't always greener........

Another tip all new cabin crew... once you do your six months put your name down on the part time list. It may take a while and you might not want it for a couple of years but its worth doing.

EAAFA
18th Dec 2006, 03:57
Thanks for the replies. I didn't ask out of personal interest but rather to settle an argument.:cool:

Le 3rd Homme
18th Dec 2006, 09:42
After travelling on Jetstar recently a friend has been suggesting that friends and family who use this airline should take a "Dustbuster"(portable vaccuum cleaner ) with them.
Apparently the aircraft dont get cleaned very often.:uhoh:

jetstarFA
18th Dec 2006, 10:26
Absolutely correct Le 3rd Homme - JQ do not have cleaners and you will never see me with a vacuum in my hand...... The transition from QFlink to JQ meant NO MORE cleaners.... Our wonderful management team that nuture the growth and personal development of all the staff ( oh sorry I am lying my face off) require the plane out on time and couldn't care less about the state of the aircraft - And neither do I.....:p

JQ managers don't care so I won't sweat if a pax has to sit in a row where a kid has spilt pringles and sultanas and all other food stuffs everywhere.... - I need to get in before curfew

ShesGreatintheGalley
18th Dec 2006, 16:15
if its very bad i just sweep it under the seat with a safety card. hehe

Vince1
18th Dec 2006, 22:23
Its even better when you find a child's urine (as well as rubbish) in a plastic bottle- still warm! Yum!
Or my personal favourite happens in all airlines...... the dirty nappy :eek:

Even though there a changing facilities on board some people find it more appropriate to change their child's nappy on the seat..... what a great idea so hygienic :ugh:

surfside6
18th Dec 2006, 23:32
Perhaps the appropriate government health department needs to be informed.
Circumstances such as those described pose an immediate health risk

jetstarFA
19th Dec 2006, 00:30
Well authorities should do more home visits because I can only imagine how people live....

I see parents taking there children to urine soaked a/c toilets with no shoes on...If mum and dad don't care I am not about to call social services.....

If people need a lesson in etiquette and poise then I am more than happy to oblige, but while our democratic society allows Mr and Mrs Below Average travel rights then they are here to stay.....:ouch:

Even if I begrudgingly allow them to pay my mortgage...:ugh:

ShesGreatintheGalley
19th Dec 2006, 02:42
i dont hesitate in asking people if they found the flush button okay when they come out the loo... and its obvious they didnt flush.
the amount of people that dont even TRY to look for it is bad enough.. not to mention the amount of people who dont even give a thought to washing their hands!

seriously.. if i was on a plane and i couldnt find the flush button.. i would put the lid down and ask someone.
same as with nappy disposal. leaving it UNWRAPPED and stuffed in a seatpocket is not polite. its downright rude and god forbid they do it on my flight i will chase them down the aerobridge with it.
(i have actually followed someone down the aisle with one once. the look of embarrassment on the mothers face was a classic. she apologised and told me she had 'fogot'. yeah right.)

resboy
19th Dec 2006, 03:19
Pet hate - changing baby on the tray table (before depositing nappy in seat pocket) ... do you change baby on your kitchen table at home? :{

What part of "for those of you not familiar with the Airbus A320 we have 3 toilets on board ... and each of these are fitted with baby change tables" don't people understand???????

HoHum
19th Dec 2006, 04:35
Well, when I used to travel on the greyhound bus (before, when it was cheaper than getting on a wonderful ol' Jetstar plane!) they NEVER had change tables for me to change my little angel!!:sad:

Besides, who is going to look after my 6 other screaming :{ rude, runny-nosed barefoot, mohawk-haircut little blighters who are already running around swearing and already causing a ruckus all over the plane disturbing everyone else:E while I am in the toilet changing my baby!!!???:hmm:

Thanks Jetstar for allowing me to travel so cheaply!!!!:D Now I can afford to buy my slab of beer and carton of Marlboros with my DSS allowance :ok: before the trip to settle MY nerves!!

Iguanahead
19th Dec 2006, 06:43
"There but for the grace of God go I."

What happened to the empathy, understanding and generosity of the flight attendant profession? When did it become normal to think you are better than the person sitting in that seat who actually paid to be on your a/c? Yes we see some things that we don't like, it's called life, and within any social demography you have to accept that people may do things a little differently to you. Since when did it become acceptable to ridicule and belittle people who may be less educated, and less financial than we'll ever be.

What turns my stomache is the attitude of the crew I have to "teach" common manners and courtesies to on a daily basis. After all my years of flying I have not seen any worse on a JQ flight than I did in QF, the only difference now is that I don't have the luxury of ignoring it as it is "my zone" and the cleaners aren't coming on the turnaround.

Above all I wish for every single crew member who spends their day whinging at work to just leave and find something else. If you can find a job that pays better, has better conditions, and the customer treats you differently, then go for it. If you can't then think yourself lucky because you're actually doing OK afterall aren't you.

The world would be a better place if we just stopped to appreciate the life we have, and the opportunities that we have been given, some people only get to dream about it. :sad:

QF skywalker
19th Dec 2006, 08:02
Igunahead, I agree with you completely. We are very fortunate people. However...personally, with your thoughts in mind of course, I still draw the line when the hygiene of the customer and fellow customers is involved. This is the 21st century and even the less financial passengers can have the courtesy to flush the toilet and wash their hands with the free soap and free water on board the aircraft.

I do not care how socially unfortunate someone is, respect for other human beings when in a confined space is paramount.

Changing nappies on seats, letting children run wild and poor toilet etiquette are all non excusable.

I politely inform any passenger who crosses this line on my flights of it so that in future the passenger will have respect for her/himself and others.

Safe flying everybody, Seasons Greetings
QF SKY:)

Vince1
19th Dec 2006, 08:56
HoHum & Igunanahead,

Apologies if I have offended anyone with my comments. There was no malice intended, just a little light humor on what we as JQ crew sometimes deal with on our flights.

I have had several passengers on flights asking me to watch their children while they change their baby's nappy. I am more than happy to oblige and it is nice to be able to sit with passengers and take some time out.

I am sure I speak for myself and other crew in saying no one would make any comments regarding passengers education, socio economic status etc. We are very lucky to have air travel so accessible now and I am sure alot of people appreciate this.

:ok:

surfside6
19th Dec 2006, 09:18
The a/c are still not cleaned.
I am taking my family to Ballina on Jetstar.(no other choice)
I am definitely now going to bring disinfectant wipes and a portable vacuum cleaner.
I am not going to sit in someone elses mess, even if it is only for a short time.
If it is as bad as has been suggested every state health department on the east coast is going to hear about it.

misshostie
19th Dec 2006, 09:46
I think what is trying to be said here is that the aircraft is also our workplace too and people should respect that. We are "at work" despite what some people might say about the Flight Attendant stereotype.
Unfortunatley with low cost carriers these days, they tend to attract this type of clientele....sad but true.

jqfella
19th Dec 2006, 11:26
Maybe time for some of you to contact workplace health and safety in your capital city and express your concerns im sure they would love to hear!!!!!
I can assure you if they get more complaints they will!!!
Do something for yourselves!:D

jetstarFA
19th Dec 2006, 11:47
Iguanahead,,,,

You will never hear me complain about pay or conditions.. LOVE MY JOB,,, been doing it for 10 years....I am a flight attendant and shouldn't have to tell a "mother" that she needs to use a change table in the loo..... Do staff at westfields get sick and tired of telling mum to use the change facilities.. I am sure they do...

I deplore the same individuals on a JQ flight , a QF flight , a BA flight, a DJ flight....in Coles, at the movies and in a restaurant.....:=

If "parents" wish to raise children to be animals that is there concern.....:ok:

The Rest of the world shouldn't have to be responsible for others inabilities..and for that, I am better than that individual changing a dirty nappy on a seat exposing crew and fellow travellers to all sorts of infantile disease.......
:D :D

I'll just pop a ST Johns Wort and join you on cloud nine and I'll hug a tree on the way home

resboy
19th Dec 2006, 21:47
I am taking my family to Ballina on Jetstar.(no other choice)

JQ, DJ and ZL all operate BNK-SYD. JQ also operate BNK-MEL, a route that didn't even exist until the invention of JQ. If you're travelling to Byron Bay you have Coolangatta not much further north than what Ballina is south - served by JQ, QF and DJ...

surfside6
19th Dec 2006, 21:50
Sorry folks but ....who is ZL?
QF does not fly into OOL with its own a/c..I checked all this when booking the flight.
BNK is closer to my final destination than OOL anyway.

resboy
19th Dec 2006, 21:51
Our lovely friends at Regional Express :ok:

airbusthreetwenty
19th Dec 2006, 22:00
Surfside ZL is Rex and Qantas still have (and will always have) two flights daily to and from the Gold Coast.

QF830 and QF852.

So yes, you do have a choice. But you're obviously not trying hard enough.

surfside6
19th Dec 2006, 22:38
Those flights you mentioned leave and arrive in the twilight zone.
Not mid afternoon when I needed to travel....children and sleep times you know.
Having children limits your choice of travel time and hence carrier.
Thats what I meant about choice(and cleanliness)

Le 3rd Homme
20th Dec 2006, 06:31
So because of it feral clientele and no cleaning policy Jetstar is to be known as the flying tip.
Augurs well for the international arm of the group
The Japanese travellers will love it .....NOT!

jetstarFA
20th Dec 2006, 12:12
Surfside - Wake up early,,, it's a one off..... not a daily commute one would assume.... its not JQ who took over Qantas and decided that JQ would be the QF driver in OOL

email a friend of mine - [email protected] and voice your concerns about the "twilight" flights that Qantas offer - (stale coffee and a bag of peanuts)

QF only fly there as a token gesture, as they do in HBA and as they did is LST.....

www.executiveaviation.com.au can also provide the social elite who couldn't possible be seen disembarking from a JQ flight for fear of ostracism, seeing as we are all judged on social status by a plane seat we only want to pay $50 for but want Krug and canapes.......?