PDA

View Full Version : British Airways - LHR

TightSlot
13th Sep 2006, 08:39
The British Airways - LHR Thread

Airbusbellboy
14th Sep 2006, 15:09
Hi Guys,,
Anybody out there jnow if ba are to recruit some more heads for lhr for either ef of ww?

Cheers Folks and Happy Flying,

Airbusbellboy:)

apaddyinuk
14th Sep 2006, 15:54
They are concentrating on the LGW onefleet at present and I dount they will hire anymore people directly in LHR WW for a long time as all the LGW WW people are moving up here making the numbers finally right...for the time being!
I would not be surprised if BA start to hire into LHR EF soon but nothing has been announced yet and you will just have to wait and see on the BA recruitment website!!!

flybywire
14th Sep 2006, 17:30
Just to say, BA have to clear the waiting pool before they recruit again. At the moment they are not recruiting anymore for both LGW and LHR.

Off Stand
14th Sep 2006, 18:07
There is also about 100-150 crew currently on ww LGW on secondment going back to ef LHR at the end of the year, so they won't be short of crew for a while.

BMED LHR
15th Sep 2006, 08:41
Hello ,
Was emailed by British Airways , that they will be looking for cabin crew next year april (Financial year ) .

But then I heard Galley Fm , December ...April does seem long time to wait , But worth the wait I suppose .

BMED LHR
15th Sep 2006, 11:10
BMed LHR,

Could you possibly post the whole email in here please

I for one would certainly be interested in applying to British Airways next year

Hello ,
I sent the email a month ago and got a response ,
But I deleted it :( ..Sorry . But go to the BA website and go to the recruitment section and send an email to them as there is a contact us section . Once again Sorry I could not show Email ..I have checked mail again and the message is gone !!

Kind Regards
B|MED LHR

tomatolover
16th Sep 2006, 14:11
I very much doubt there will be much in the way of recruitment for LHR EuroFleet for the time being. With the return of the secondees from Gatwick (say 150 ish), the proposed reduction of crew due to service simplification, and the fact we are already over crewed I think it will be some time before things start moving again up here. Also with the removal of the 757 fleet over the next couple of years, more 767s being dusked and going off to our WW colleagues, only to be replaced with a handfull of brand spanking new A321s, (8 crew down to 6 crew) it just doesnt seem to add up to any more crew needed. But hey, what do I know?

BMED LHR
16th Sep 2006, 19:05
I very much doubt there will be much in the way of recruitment for LHR EuroFleet for the time being. With the return of the secondees from Gatwick (say 150 ish), the proposed reduction of crew due to service simplification, and the fact we are already over crewed I think it will be some time before things start moving again up here. Also with the removal of the 757 fleet over the next couple of years, more 767s being dusked and going off to our WW colleagues, only to be replaced with a handfull of brand spanking new A321s, (8 crew down to 6 crew) it just doesnt seem to add up to any more crew needed. But hey, what do I know?

No , Very good info Matey ..And thanks for it , You guy's will be fine with 6 crew (A321). At BMED we have 6 crew , But you all have to pull together as a team . Take Care and thanks for info ;)

yellowdog
17th Sep 2006, 22:01
With the return of the secondees from Gatwick (say 150 ish),

tomatolover,

what secondees from LGW going back to LHR?

Not heard about this can you expand???

YD

flybywire
17th Sep 2006, 23:18
tomatolover,
what secondees from LGW going back to LHR?
Not heard about this can you expand???
YD

Yellowdog it's EFLHR newish people who were seconded to WWLGW. Once SF is active and running they will return to their "base" which was EFLHR from the beginning. They were seconded to WWLGW for operational reasons :)

Mice130
23rd Sep 2006, 10:29
I would like to contact a member of B.A Cabin crew based at Heathrow and havent a clue how i`d go about doing it. I have already contacted the Compass Centre in London and was told they are not able to leave crew members messages.:= I dont know where to go from here. If anyone has any suggestions please.

triple7_jm
23rd Sep 2006, 12:51
Hi guys

Any B.A crew from newcastle, who are based at LHR.

get in touch plz, need some infor

tomatolover
1st Oct 2006, 15:54
All crew members have a drop file in the compass centre. If you want to get hold of someone I'd send in a postcard or a small envelope to the the person, care of the compass centre, with a note requesting that this be placed into their drop file. Got to be worth a try?

I suggest a postcard so the chances of them treating it with suspicion, security wise, is a little abated.

apaddyinuk
2nd Oct 2006, 01:16
Im afraid I dont think that will work either. BA are all too aware from past experiences of the odd "freaky" passenger trying to send inappropriate messages to crew members after getting their names from their name badges. As a result you will find that the only way of getting a letter into a drop file is by internal company mail or by physically getting a crew member to drop it in for you!

apaddyinuk
2nd Oct 2006, 20:35
If there are any BA crew here who do not tend to venture into the BASSA forum or website...PLEASE DO SO NOW!!!! Very VERY important issues being discussed at present following the meeting today and understanding and solidarity is vital right now!!!

keeperboy
3rd Oct 2006, 12:47
I can only repeat what paddy has posted!!!
IF YOU ARE BA CREW AND DON'T USE THE BASSA WEBSITE/FORUM HAVE A LOOK NOW!!
At the meeting yesterday the membership gave authorisation for BASSA to ballot for industrial action around these issues: i) Pension ii) Merging old/new contracts iii) failure of the EG300 process.
There were many other issues on the table, much of which seems to be tabled for us on worldwide by our new ex-qantas manager. Un-lucky for him though, we don't have a vast supply of casuals/foreign based non-mainline crew to pick up the slack if we do walk like his previous airline. Or indeed the ridiculous IR laws that have been made in his home country.

speedbirdhouse
3rd Oct 2006, 13:38
Keeperboy,

are you referring to MH our recently departed cabin crew manager?

If so you will be pleased to know that he is indeed one of your own having come to us via BA.

He was known here as the smiling assasin or "Kylie" and it was easy to tell when he was lying as his lips moved when he was doing so.

I hope you guys get the opportunity to grind him into the ground and you comments re the industrial climate here in Australia are entirely correct.

Flying_Sarah747
3rd Oct 2006, 15:12
I've been on 4 months compassionate leave and should be starting back in November, and have to say I've had too much on my plate to look into BA issues since I've been away, so all this is quite worrying for me! Can anyone shed any more light on this new sickness policy for me? Has it changed since the first implementation of it? Also what's this merging of new and old contracts about? I think I've totally missed that one.

Is there likely to be a strike in the near future?? I can't believe what's happened 4 months. :(

keeperboy
3rd Oct 2006, 15:51
hehe yeah speedbird referring to MH. Indeed, he was cabin crew with BA, left to go to QF, now back as one of our managers. trying to bring in about everything he helped bring in at QF....temps, reduced complements on-board, specially dedicated crew for the premium cabins. the union has already taken out a 'grievance' against him due to some of his attempted tactics.

yellowdog
3rd Oct 2006, 15:57
I can only repeat what paddy has posted!!!
IF YOU ARE BA CREW AND DON'T USE THE BASSA WEBSITE/FORUM HAVE A LOOK NOW!!
At the meeting yesterday the membership gave authorisation for BASSA to ballot for industrial action around these issues: i) Pension ii) Merging old/new contracts iii) failure of the EG300 process.
There were many other issues on the table, much of which seems to be tabled for us on worldwide by our new ex-qantas manager. Un-lucky for him though, we don't have a vast supply of casuals/foreign based non-mainline crew to pick up the slack if we do walk like his previous airline. Or indeed the ridiculous IR laws that have been made in his home country.

Keeperboy,

Would you please PM me as to what is going on up there at the mo. Not a BASSA member so unable to keep up on the website. Be really interested to know and offer advice and support.

YD

keeperboy
3rd Oct 2006, 16:00
I've been on 4 months compassionate leave and should be starting back in November, and have to say I've had too much on my plate to look into BA issues since I've been away, so all this is quite worrying for me! Can anyone shed any more light on this new sickness policy for me? Has it changed since the first implementation of it? Also what's this merging of new and old contracts about? I think I've totally missed that one.
Is there likely to be a strike in the near future?? I can't believe what's happened 4 months. :(

Changes to the sickness policy: There are now so many Worldwide LHR crew that have triggered 'stage 1' on the EG300 process (1,500!!) and waiting for their interview with the attendance unit that the company can't cope. It is in the agreement that we are entitled to union representation during the return to work interview. As BASSA say they only have time to attend 4 interviews per day, you can work out the maths when there are 1500 crew waiting to be represented!! Management have now CHANGED the process, saying that you will be rostered an interview before your first flying duty after calling 'fit'. It is unlikely BASSA will be able to accompany you at such short notice and you may insist of the date being changed. However, you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RETURN TO FLYING DUTIES UNTIL YOUR INTERVIEW IS COMPLETES. Thus, if you have to wait 3 weeks til BASSA can find a slot to accompany with you, you will be grounded for that period.

OLD/NEW contract: i attended the BASSA meeting yesterday. Apparently Cabin crew are the only workforce within BA where they have two groups of people, doing the same job, on two different contracts. BASSA want more increments for New Contract crew, merging it with the old contract scale. BA have said they will 'look at it' once the penions issue is sorted.

A strike?? looks VERY possible at the moment, especially over pensions which BASSA and BALPA are apparently quite united on.

The union already has the membership agreemen from yesterdays meeting to issue a strike ballot.

lots of info on the bassa website/forum.

Little M
3rd Oct 2006, 16:02
Keeperboy,

Could you also PM me. I am a BASSA member but only recently joined and do not have my login details as yet.

Thanks.

Flying_Sarah747
4th Oct 2006, 04:15
Oh dear, this doesn't sound good. :( I have to admit I'm a bit ignorant on how all these issues are delt with by the unions etc, and how they all come about, so I'm a little confused on how BA can just change the way the sickness policy is run without first having it accepted by the unions. This new policy is now in, so why would BA change it back to the way it was before? Surely if they can change that, then they can change anything they like, so I guess what I'm trying to say is that how is the union actually able to help us in any of this, if BA just changes things when and however they like? Scary indeed!

OzzieO
4th Oct 2006, 07:34
Sarah the whole EG300 policy is a fiasco. But its not just EG300 we are being balloted for. There are 4 issues that are ongoing and really need to be addressed. EG300 being just one of those issues.

flybywire
4th Oct 2006, 07:44
Can I just add something to keeperboy's post...

I have received an email from BA that says that not only you'll have to attend the interview the day after you return to work, but if you can't and won't be ale to attend it in the following 5 days....the meeting will take place in your absence!!!!!!

I am going to post the email in a separate post - I think it's silly that we discuss things that concern LHR/LGW and other bases separately....
BA love to make us feel like different companies but guess what, we're still one, despite differences in pay.

FBW.

Wyler
28th Oct 2006, 07:37
Having been lucky enough to travel extensively over the last 10 years, and with a lot of airlines, I have always been critical of BA after a few bad experiences back in the late 90's.
I have just returned from Oman, with my wife and 2 daughters, after having visited friends. BA offered the best price and so, with gritted teeth, I booked with them.
What a superb service!! Flew both ways on a 777 and cattle class. Clean aircraft, great CC on all legs, including return flights from LHR to NEWC. Food on the main leg was as good as I have had on Club Class on other airlines. On board films etc were excellent with plenty of choice. All flights bang on time, or early, and luggage present and correct at all destinations. CC very helpful and cheerful throughout, despite some real idiots on the return leg to Heathrow.

I know you should not mention names but the purser on the LHR to Newc trip was named 'Ty'. What a great character and true professional. Best I have seen.

So, I take it all back. Well done BA, thanks for making the trip enjoyable and I will very soon be booking for next year!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Little M
7th Nov 2006, 21:40
Well xmas rosters are out, hope you all got what you wanted or at least something close to it!!

flybywire
15th Nov 2006, 08:38
BUMP! For the benefit of flying_phil :ok:

kmp1
16th Nov 2006, 09:43
Hello ,
Was emailed by British Airways , that they will be looking for cabin crew next year april (Financial year ) .

But then I heard Galley Fm , December ...April does seem long time to wait , But worth the wait I suppose .

The emailed me -- and they didn't say Dec or April ?

Thank you for your enquiry.

All current UK based vacancies and details of how to apply are available on our website http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/baweb1/ Every vacancy includes a detailed description of the role, the qualifications required and a person specification. In order to apply for a vacancy you must meet the stated criteria for the role. All applications must be made on-line and we are unable to accept speculative CVs as an application. Just to let you know that we are not recruiting for Air Cabin Crew at the moment.

Thank you for your interest in British Airways.

BMED LHR
17th Nov 2006, 15:35
They said on my Email the next financial year .
It's a long wait , But let's wait and see .