PDA

View Full Version : Fly cheaper!?

Northwest MD-11
12th Sep 2006, 21:41
Are those rumours true, that family members of pilots fly cheaper, or do the pay the same price like regular passengers? :confused:

11Fan
12th Sep 2006, 23:18
NW MD-11,

Not to spoil your fun, but Northwest doesn't fly MD-11's. They still fly DC-10-30's and DC-10-40's though, but that may not be for long either. I wish they did have MD-11's, but there isn't that many of the passenger version out there anymore since they started getting converted to Freighters. There's still a few strays, here and there, but sooner or later.....

I'll leave your actual question to those more in the know than I. I'm usually riding in back, although, I used to ride in the pointy end, from time to time (in the old days), but it was before they were delivered.

Take care,

11Fan

Avman
13th Sep 2006, 07:41
Airline personnel can fly on rebate fares. Generally when this is for leisure, they fly on a "space available" basis. This means that they only get on a flight once all regular booked pax have boarded and if there are still seats left. Train and bus drivers also travel free or cheaply in their jobs. Doctors get to jump long waiting lists, car salesmen get great deals when buying their cars etc., etc. They are the perks of the job. Some get better perks than others. That's life!

Hartington
13th Sep 2006, 19:45
Different airlines apply different definitions of "family". Generally the spouse and children of an employee get the same fare as the employee. Some airlines include "partners" as well as spouses.

Staff tickets are a great perk; when they work. However, you can be left behind with NO comeback. Families can get split up - big time. The 4 of us were once given 4 completely different seats on a 747 - 1 upstairs, 2 (separate) in the middle cabin and one in the rear. It's not a bed of roses.