PDA

View Full Version : AirPac Engine Trubs?

Chocks Away
12th Sep 2006, 10:48
Was reliably informed of an AirPac 747 engine prob out of Fiji the other day.
Just hoping all was alright as the word I got... well sounded like the pax added abit of poetic licence... :confused:
Happy landings:ok:

Cool banana
12th Sep 2006, 14:44
Yes the Saturday Sydney bound Boeing 747-400 departing from Nadi had an engine failure passing through 7000 feet it safety returned back to Nadi, and is now sitting beside the Air Pac 737 that is also grounded due to a pressurization problem. That is 1/3 of Air Pacs fleet out due to maintenance.

Qantas to the rescue again!!

Chocks Away
13th Sep 2006, 06:03
:D :D :D
Safe landings... good outcome.
Top stuff.
Happy landings:ok:

company_spy
14th Sep 2006, 10:46
I believe the aircraft is now sitting in a QANTAS hanger in Sydney waiting for an engine. Awaiting United engineers to change engine.

glideslope
18th Sep 2006, 03:40
i believe the skid marks on the runway are from the 1st 3 engine take off attempt for the ferry to Syd. Almost lost it apparently.

Going Boeing
18th Sep 2006, 05:48
Awaiting United engineers to change engine.

Since the aircraft is owned by SQ, wouldn't it be faster & cheaper to get SQ engineers to 5th pod an engine to Sydney with engineers?

Damn P&W engines! :=

company_spy
18th Sep 2006, 08:33
PW4000 are not 5th podded and supposedly the engines are not owed by Singapore but leased.

Going Boeing
18th Sep 2006, 10:14
Thanks C_S for the clarification. It reminds me of the mid nineties when QF was negotiating to buy 2 B744's from Malaysian Airlines (now VH-OEC & VH-OED). At the eleventh hour of negotiations, Qantas discovers that the price they were negotiating was "sans engines" as MAS had previously sold all their engines to raise money and were leasing them back on a fee per flight hour basis. Negotiations then went on for another month resulting in Qantas getting ownership of the complete aircraft. With the subsequent fuselage cracking (8 years later) as a result of the paint job that MAS did, I think that QF management would have preferred that the sale had fallen through.

Redstone
18th Sep 2006, 10:28
Company Spy you are on the money, aircraft leased from SIA while donks are leased from P&W. Pratt wanted United to do the "qec" probably as they had one here, tested ready to go. 3 engine ferry to Syd worked out in the end as crew were due for some sim time anyway. The PW4056 can not be Vpodded, has to be freighted, the Ua boys didn't inhibit the off coming engine and as a result no one will shift it, happens when you work round the clock sometimes. Details slip through to the keeper. No paperwork either. Could be kicking around the jet base for a while, pitty we can't rob any bits off it.

Swingwing
19th Sep 2006, 00:04
OK - can you blokes please learn me something for the day?!
What does "5th podding" an engine mean? I googled it but got swamped by iPods and Podcasts.
Maybe it means whacking it on a spare pylon under the fuselage or something? Now THAT would be a good looking 747 - but introduce you airline blokes to the joys of centreline thrust with no asymmetric problems and you'll never go back!
thanks!
SW

company_spy
19th Sep 2006, 01:11
A 5th Pod is a spare engine carriage inboard of #2 engine the most recogniseable a/c are 747 and 707 although I have see pictures of L1011 and DC-10 with a spare engine carriage(These are obviously 4th Pods). Most bare engine types eg PW4000 and CF6 need a complete set of cowls to allow them to be fitted alah JT9D-7R4, certification costs are very high. You will now probably only see RR211 and PWJT9 engines podded. Hope this clarifies it some.

Going Boeing
19th Sep 2006, 01:24
SW On the inner left wing of a B747 is attachment points for an engine to be mounted for carriage purposes. The fan section of the engine is removed and a collar is fitted to prevent airflow through the core section - thus no rotation whilst in flight. Most modern high bypass engines are modular in design so that they can be separated into sections and transported in the hold of aircraft, however, a lot of man hours are involved in the dis-assembly and re-assembly of the engine prior to fitment, so, often the 5th podding of an engine results in an aircraft being returned to service earlier. Whilst flying with a 5th pod there is a disturbance in the airflow resulting in a noticeable buzz in the cabin (& higher fuel flow). :ok:
Centreline thrust is great but multi-engine is better. The only aircraft that I can think of that had centreline thrust with more than one engine was the British Lightning interceptor. Great aircraft in a straight line but lacking in turning ability and range.