PDA

View Full Version : Winair

bcqc
11th Sep 2006, 20:15
can anyone let me know about conditions, schedules, entry level pay, and lifestyle at winair for an entry level F/O on the twin otter? that would be very appreciated...
thanks

xdc9er
12th Sep 2006, 00:46
5-6 On/2 Off, about 1800USD after tax, some allowances on top of basic pay,
fly to SKB,SBH,AXA,MNI,EIS,NEV,ANU,EUX based in sunny SXM, about 40-60 hrs per month, lots to do here,...
X

bcqc
13th Sep 2006, 03:08
Thanks for your answer. Are you still there at winair? A lot of movement I hear...
Isla de oro...te refieres a st-martin espero!!!! Sounds good for rosters and flight time. Is the ambiance with management good, generally a good work place? Do you have to run after them for pay?
take care

sega
13th Sep 2006, 22:17
Are they hiring? just locals or are us northerners welcome?

bcqc
13th Sep 2006, 22:56
does anyone know about the work permit and how it is delivered? they work it out for you?

xdc9er
14th Sep 2006, 13:31
Winair arranges the workpermit, they will tell you which documents you need before leaving your home country, crew are a 50/50 mix of locals and expats, gen. Canadians, Americans, but the passport really does'nt matter.
Pay is on time, no headaches, except when it comes to final cheque after giving notice, some have had to haggle,depending on the personal circumstances.
Lots of movement , generally back North, some to Africa.
Isla de Oro =Aruba
X

bcqc
14th Sep 2006, 22:13
Thanks X for the info really appreciated. Good to know they run a tight ship down there, and that there's a good mix of locals with the expats. Have you flown there yourself?

xdc9er
15th Sep 2006, 11:18
Yes, have flown there before.
PM for further
X

Captaingomes
16th Oct 2006, 05:40
What kind of hours are they looking for, and do they still require a PPC on the Twotter?

Kezler
29th Oct 2006, 21:01
Hiring lots of new guys with low time or time on type. You must have either time on type or the Flight Safety course. We got two more Twin Otters coming to supplement our 4 that are here plus the three Islanders.

Season is coming.....

K

Captaingomes
29th Oct 2006, 21:46
Thanks Kezler. Honestly, I am not ready for work, as I have a way to go still, but at some point next year Winair would be a pretty ideal place to start my career, IMHO.

BountyKilla123
31st Oct 2006, 22:03
Do you have to have you Part 1 General completed when applying ?

Kezler
1st Nov 2006, 01:12
What is a Part 1 General?

BountyKilla123
1st Nov 2006, 01:17
I thought St. Maarten was under the OECS CAA (organisation of the eastern caribbean states).

blueplume
1st Nov 2006, 16:56
BountyKilla

The DCA (Directorate of Civil Aviation) resides on Antigua and is responsible for air traffic on the former British islands, now known as Overseas Territories if still loosely governed by the UK through Governors although they have their own local Chief Minister or independent islands such as Antigua/Barbuda, St. Kitts/Nevis, British Virgin Islands, St. Lucia. All have chosen/been forced to be guided by the DCA for the sake of simplicity.

Sint Maarten (one half of the island, the northern part Saint Martin being French territory governed directly from Paris as are Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Barthelemy + some more) belongs to the Netherlands Antilles (SXM, Curacao, Aruba, Bonaire, Statia aka St. Eustacius and Saba)which are in effect very similar to the British Overseas Territories and have their own, NA CAA.

As all the islands depend heavily on air transport cooperation is usually easy. But all have different licences. OECS DCA uses Air Navigation Order (ANO) Overseas Territories amended 2000ish.

Don't forget the US islands.

Kezler
2nd Nov 2006, 19:03
All you need for the license down here is an ICAO Commercial Multi IFR. The CAA in Curacao then gives you a year based on that until you must go to Curacao and do what's called a B3 which is just a couple courses on tropical weather and a bit of Nav. They then issue you a B3 license good in the Dutch Antilles.

K

An2
4th Nov 2006, 11:26
Is there any need for BN-2 drivers at Winair?
I have about 400hrs on the Islander and it would sweet to operate one in the Carribean! ;)

D.Reader
6th Nov 2006, 19:51
Hey Guys,

Any one have any news on Win Air's need for immediate pilots. I’m in the process of getting to Toronto for my twin otter type rating. Will Win air still be in need of pilots by Mid December?

Miky
10th Nov 2006, 10:59
All you need for the license down here is an ICAO Commercial Multi IFR. The CAA in Curacao then gives you a year based on that until you must go to Curacao and do what's called a B3 which is just a couple courses on tropical weather and a bit of Nav. They then issue you a B3 license good in the Dutch Antilles.

K
Hello there.
I'm very interested in flying in this area of the world :ok: ,so just a question to you guys: I hold a Jar frozen ATPL, MCC, CPL/IR MEP and about 500 hrs total, 100 on BN-2. Can I apply for Win Air,and can I fly there with my licences? I hold an italian passport, 26 years old.
Thanks a lot for any information
Best regards

Kezler
11th Nov 2006, 14:08
Miky,

I'll say it again, all you need is an ICAo license, which, last time I checked, includes Europe. No Twin Otter course or time on type, no job. No direct entry Islander pilots.

K

blue_side_up
16th Nov 2006, 08:39
If any of you are looking for BN2 work, I suggest you try one of the many BN2 operators in the Caribbean. SVG Air and Mustique Airways in St.Vincent, and Carib Aviation in Antigua are good places to try. Due to insurance requirements, and as the BN2's are operated single-pilot IFR, there used to be a minimum requirement of 1200hrs (or so) total time.
I flew in the region for nearly 3yrs and had a fantastic time. Good luck!

Wadadli
16th Nov 2006, 10:54
Carib Aviation is in financial trouble and have sold/are selling their BN-2 Islanders. FSD would be sad to see the current state of affairs:{ .
Wadadli

europilot
23rd Nov 2006, 07:06
Guys,
could someone please help me with some answers...

- CP's email address, I only got the HR email from the website

- any accomodation/transport provided by the company or is it all self funded?

- ATPL required for command on the Twin Otter?

- are they hiring DECs on the Twin Otter?

- any night flying?

- got about 2200TT, 900 PT6, 100 Twin Otter, 500 BN2A incl. STOL experience, ICAO CPL with ATPL subjects, what are my chances???

I have been to SXM about five times as a tourist and I always loved it...
Thanks a lot, much appreciated...
EP

Mogas
20th May 2007, 23:30
Canadian CPL, multi engine IFR, Jetstream type rating, 420 hours. What are my chances of getting on with Winair and who would be the person/email to talk/write to?

dizzzzy
17th Jun 2007, 03:18
yeah Winair for the time being will be looking for capts on D6. as the guys mentioned above won't make you rich but where else can you see 20 something bodies strolling or in some cases diving into the sand as you make your low passes over Sunset Beachbar.

low time guys looking for work its a great gigue, but only way in is A-over 1500hrs with time on bn2... OR no time but having taken the flightsafety D6 course in Toronto.

thats it.

pm if still question.

Gooneyone
17th Jun 2007, 12:53
Carib was hiring for Beech 1900s - heard that they're getting two. They still operate TwinOtters. Check out the web-site below for additional info - it is a Caribbean pilots forum

http://www.caribbeanalpa.com/phpBB2/

jamav8r
17th Jun 2007, 16:00
Gooneyone

Just a correction, Carib Aviation is seeking BE99 pilots. Also applications are now closed.

winguru
9th Jan 2008, 14:23
Any curent job for "fresh out of flight school"? JAA ATPL ME, IFR, MCC 200TT

Also i have this pertinent question, what are the months of high/low season, due to contrat reasons.

Thank u

gainanduru
10th Jan 2008, 21:32
well the high season is pretty much in full gear
it's the reverse of europe, the high season at winair runs from nov till april.
so i guess no recruitment until the next high season unless they start experience what's been happening the last couple of years.............high turnover amongst pilots.
to join winair a type rating on the dhc-6-300 is a MUST no type rating no job at winair period. reason: no training capacity for non rated pilots.
So if you guys fancy coming down to winair make sure you have a twin otter type rating.

JamaicanFlyer
7th Mar 2008, 21:14
Why does the Twin Otter need a type rating and its MGTOW is at the 12,500lb limit and not above i thought a type was only required for aircraft above that MGTOW

Tropical Update
8th Mar 2008, 23:33
They fly under Dutch Antillean Law, and they require a type-rating on each turbo-charged multi-engine aircraft ( just like JAR). They also require a two-men crew on the Twin-Otter.
Multi-engine Piston aircraft under 12500lbs are in one class as well as single-egine turbo-prop under 12500lbs and therefor just a class-rating is required.

Hope that helps.

JamaicanFlyer
9th Mar 2008, 16:00
Ok I get it now.... great thanks for the clarification...

nbv4
29th Aug 2008, 00:49
How much does this twin otter training class cost, and where can it be done? Is Toronto the only place?

billyx
9th Sep 2008, 15:39
Is Jeff Oliver still the chief pilot over there?

hvh
17th Sep 2008, 23:11
Yes, he is still the Chief Pilot....

FlyTCI
18th Sep 2008, 17:09
Yes, the only DHC-6 sim is in Toronto. I believe the cost is between $6k-7k. A very good course, was "forced" to do it myself in May despite already having 2000 hrs in the beast. Ain't the JAA, EASA or whatever they call themselves these days wonderful :}.

FT

Efilroftolip
20th Sep 2008, 22:42
Will Winair accept the DHC6 training in Toronto done on an FAA certificate (thus not really a type rating), or do you have to put in on a Canadian CPL multi IFR?

And anyway, are they even still hiring qualified DHC6 FOs for this season?

AQIS Boigu
21st Sep 2008, 07:58
Will the Dutch Antilles CAA accept a Twotter rating from an Aussie licence???

bugdriver
2nd Oct 2008, 23:57
Just a clarification on what Blueplume said a while ago

"The DCA (Directorate of Civil Aviation) resides on Antigua and is responsible for air traffic on the former British islands, now known as Overseas Territories if still loosely governed by the UK through Governors although they have their own local Chief Minister or independent islands such as Antigua/Barbuda, St. Kitts/Nevis, British Virgin Islands, St. Lucia. All have chosen/been forced to be guided by the DCA for the sake of simplicity.

Sint Maarten (one half of the island, the northern part Saint Martin being French territory governed directly from Paris as are Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Barthelemy + some more) belongs to the Netherlands Antilles (SXM, Curacao, Aruba, Bonaire, Statia aka St. Eustacius and Saba)which are in effect very similar to the British Overseas Territories and have their own, NA CAA.

As all the islands depend heavily on air transport cooperation is usually easy. But all have different licences. OECS DCA uses Air Navigation Order (ANO) Overseas Territories amended 2000ish."

Most of what was said is correct except about the OECS countries. The OECS is separate from the British overseas territories (BVI, Anguilla, Cayman islands, Montserrat) which operate under the Air Navigation Order Overseas Territories rules which essentially mirror the CAA. The OECS countries have the Eastern Caribbean Civil Aviation Association (ECCAA) as the governing body which is based in Antigua. It covers the now independant islands(former British colonies) which number 11 islands from as far south as Grenada all the way up to St.Kitts/Nevis.

But for those applying to Winair, it will be the NA CAA of the Netherland Antilles.

And to confuse it even further, Barbados has their own CAA as does Trinidad and Tobago!

DHC6tropics
4th Oct 2008, 00:34
Unless you are a caribbean local you will definately need DHC6 (real or sim) experience. If you have this, then a call to the Chief Pilot (Jeff Oliver) should quickly answer any licensing questions.

Anyway, here is a video I made during my time at Winair...enjoy!!!

YouTube - Pilots of the Caribbean (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM5-HQb16NA)

chock2chock
5th Oct 2008, 17:23
fantastic video.:ok:... who was the first track by?

bcqc
10th Oct 2008, 02:21
Hi all...

Hadn't been on pprune for ever...so what's going on at winair?

Jeff Oliver still there? Any expansion? News?

Met with him couple years ago but I never did the DHC6 in Toronto...no $$$

He wouldn't guarantee a job after spending 10k for the typer rating...

So is it still hapening down the for lowtimers applying with the type rating?

Or is business going to slow down because of the economic situation??!!

Cheers

bcqc
17th Oct 2008, 03:51
Come on gents someone here....?? Just read the website...they opened up the Domenica route...good news!!? Anyone got more...

nortont
22nd Oct 2008, 23:03
Recently expanding, they took over some of Carib's routes due to there closure.

Cirrus_2000
23rd Oct 2008, 22:50
Hi everyone... Does anyone know if Winair are hiring FOs at the moment?

cykzstudent
24th Oct 2008, 01:47
I would also like to know.

wannabepilot1531
20th Dec 2008, 18:58
what are the chances of actually being hired after paying for the rating?

skidbuggy
22nd Dec 2008, 14:35
Chock2chock, the track is:

"Float On" by Modest Mouse

woltgreat
12th Jan 2009, 14:40
Hi people,
resuming this post cause I'm very interested in Winair.

How is the current situation for pilots with the "rating" in Toronto?
Are they hiring people with the course or not...?

Looking forward for replies...

Carrier
12th Jan 2009, 22:53
There is no “rating” for a DHC6. It is below 12,500 lbs. All you will do in Toronto is a course that does not give you a Type Rating or a PPC. This course costs at least $12,000 and will not guarantee you a job, either at Winair or anywhere else. Several years ago some Canadian pilots were encouraged to do this course by someone who apparently was at Winair. Then they were not hired. Adding in the costs of visiting the Caribbean they were each probably out about $20,000 total.

Companies of integrity who treat their employees properly budget for and pay for job specific training and after training rely for employee retention on paying employees the market rate and treating them decently! If the company is cheap or dubious when it comes to training and employee retention then it is a fair and reasonable assumption that it is cheap and dubious in other areas, such as maintenance, safety, operating procedures, overloading, pushing serious weather, etc. That's the perception, like it or not!

Most new employees make a considerable investment in a new job. They usually give up a secure income at their previous employer and incur the costs of moving to the new employer. If they are married this increases the moving costs and the spouse may also have to change jobs. New employees are usually on probation for several months and can be dismissed without notice or compensation. That they are prepared to incur such risks and costs shows that they are serious in wanting it to work out with their new employer. Very few want to move elsewhere shortly after completing their training. That is usually due to something unforeseen by both parties. Companies of integrity recognise that it happens very rarely and realise it is better to part amicably than forcefully retain an unhappy employee.

Companies of integrity with decent HR policies recognise the risks and costs that new employees incur and do not go out of their way to add to them! These companies are grateful that somebody is ready to take on such costs and risks and move to them. For an employer to try to force new employees to also take on the cost of job specific training tells you volumes about the ethics of the employer and its attitude towards employees. People are well advised to steer clear of companies that want to have their cake and eat it as well.

woltgreat
14th Jan 2009, 16:38
I am well aware that it's not a rating (that's why I wrote "rating") and I fully agree with the stuff you wrote.

But...the question remains: what is the current situation in Winair?

woltgreat
22nd Jan 2009, 18:43
Nothing about Winair...?:sad:

Skydreams
12th Feb 2009, 03:27
First of all, some of you, especially "Carrier" are way off on the cost of the FlightSafety course - its 7k, and although does not give you a type rating, it is a requirement for employment if you are not local. "Carrier" wrong again, a twin otter does require a type rating in many parts of the world, including europe and here in the Netherlands Antilles with the B3 license. It is paid for by Winair, and if you factor in that they have to take you on your first ride in the real plane, train you, while taking one of their planes out of revenue service, complete a ground school with you and pay for all your immigration paperwork, 7k to get a job on a turbo-prop with 200 hrs fresh out of flight school is not that bad. Until recently, turnover was high due to bigger and better jobs elsewhere, some financial commitment from the employee is not unreasonable, and you will certainly hear no-one complaining here about the initial cost. They certainly never promise you a job if you get the course done, but if you speak to the right people beforehand, you can get an idea of whether you will get an interview if you do the course.
High season has been tough for Winair though, a mixture of bad economy and a shortage of planes. Lay-offs for low season are a real possibility and with the local governments pressuring businesses to hire islanders instead of expats, its not looking good for new hires from overseas.

FlyTCI
18th Feb 2009, 01:55
Skydreams, sorry to hear things are getting slow down there.

I'm currently out of work as a DHC-6 captain and was considering sending WinAir an email. I flew in the Caribbean a few years back and ended up in St. Maarten a couple of times, it's one of my favorite places in the Caribbean.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait until my company calls me back.

And yes, the DHC-6 can be a type rating. I have it on my JAR license.

Heading up to FSI Toronto myself next week for recurrent.

DHC6tropics
20th Feb 2009, 12:49
I've heard massive ex-pat layoffs have been announced...and that they may stop islander service?

Anyone have any more info?

Skydreams
22nd Feb 2009, 21:51
True - all 3 islanders are out of here (probably in a box!) by mid-April and lay-offs were announced a few days ago starting in April too, cutting the pilots down by a third. Winair is also cutting out some destinations that they have serviced for years, things are not looking good...

xdc9er
23rd Feb 2009, 13:49
Have they said which destinations will be cut?
X

intortola
23rd Feb 2009, 18:38
As SLF i have used Winair many times over the years and until about 18months ago they provided a good service. However, since that time their customer service has deteriorated to a point below that of LIAT and that is saying something. With the odd exception the staff in SXM have become rude and unwilling to help especially in case of disruption. I was issued a number of travel vouchers due to the amount of disruption i experienced last year, i will use the last of these next week, since making the reservation less than 3 weeks ago my flights continue to be cancelled and changed, not by hours but by days. I hear now many people are reluctant to book with Winair, it is a terrible shame but unless they change they will not survive for much longer.

xdc9er
23rd Feb 2009, 22:27
I think the change in passenger service came about as a result of Winair contracting out the passenger handling to another company(been out of the Winair loop for about 2 yrs so forgive me if that info is not totally correct)not making excuses ( I have had my share of the Winair bad experiences with the handeling of passengers(viewed and received as a traveling employee).

X
(x winair, x dc9 , ..soon to be x singapore with the way the economy is going,... hahah no x wife yet tho ..lol)
Miss the beaches most of all.

Alexair
11th Apr 2009, 06:53
Hello y'all,

Any recent news about Winair? Anything good or bad? What is the evoluation down there?

Thanks for any updated infos...

Alex

Skydreams
24th Apr 2009, 19:56
Still not looking good for hiring. In the process of laying off 13 pilots, routes to DCF, SKB, EIS are no longer flown and the Islanders are on their way out starting next week.

Alexair
6th May 2009, 10:32
Allright.

Thanks a lot for the infos...

Alex

Flashheart II
4th Sep 2009, 17:22
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is any validity period for the Twin Otter course at Flight safety? I understand that either this or some experience on the actual aircraft is required for a job with Winair. Say I was to do the course now and subsequently Winair don't take on anymore pilots for this coming season, would the course still be valid the following year or the year after and would this be acceptable to Winair?

Cheers

JohnnyK
1st Aug 2010, 00:58
Hi All,

Wondering if anybody in the region has info on current hiring for BN2 pilot. Have worked in the Eastern Caribbean before, got plenty of Islander hours, and realise it was the nicest flying I have done. Want to go back and stay.
Any hints?

Cheers.

nortont
1st Aug 2010, 02:20
Winair = no islanders..... just Twin Otters and leased Jetstream's

treesurgeon
3rd Aug 2010, 19:30
Try FlyMontserrat, they have 3 Islanders and are expanding. [email protected]

bcqc
4th Feb 2011, 16:37
anything going on in sxm with winair? hiring? expansion?
any news appreciated...
cheers

SpeedyG
13th Feb 2011, 00:25
Winair retracting fast - appears to be financially erratic so do not expect any work - Flymonserrat still looking for BNII crew based in ANU