PDA

View Full Version : Monarch check-in at Malaga

Tigger4Me
11th Sep 2006, 13:02
I visit Malaga airport regularly and assist pax with their check-in for a number of airlines.

Following the recent security alert in the UK no changes were made at Malaga (or other Spanish airports) regarding hand baggage allowance for flights back to the UK. In other words it has been business as usual. The only difference that we have seen is that liquids and gels are not allowed on flights to the US and this is made clear on regular PA's throughout the terminals.

I got egg on my face this weekend after telling a coach load of pax travelling ZB back to LGW that it was business as normal, only to find check-in staff making them all repack liquids and gels from their hand luggage into bags going into the hold.

I tried to argue the point firstly with the check-in agents, who referred me to their supervisor and onward to Monarch themselves. As expected, this was a total waste of time as the Monarch staff at Malaga are not known for their customer relations skills and are totally obstructive in all dealings with them. Meanwhile the 'pax to the US only' PA's continued and pax on check-ins either side of us were being allowed through as normal.

Can anyone from Monarch advise me if this is a new policy of the airline or were the staff at AGP just having an exceptionally bad day on Sunday?

IB4138
13th Sep 2006, 16:48
Interesting.........on the 30th of last month, I noted a load of Brits dumping bottles of drinks prior to security at Malaga, for no good reason.

Monarch have a typed notice at check-in, which does not clearly imply that the hand baggage restictions apply to flights ex-Uk only. Passengers are also not being made aware that their hold baggage free allowance has now increased to 25 kgs on ZB flights, which is conveyed in the same notice. The notice is not very visible and is simply lying on the top of the check-in desks.

Tigger4Me
13th Sep 2006, 16:54
You are quite correct about that notice. As you say it has been on the desk for several weeks but as no action was being taken by the check-in staff I assumed that it only applied ex-UK also. Hence I have cheerfully been telling my pax on the coach each week that they would not have any problems at the desk. Imagine my horror this week when check-in staff made them all repack their bags.

The piece about extra baggage also mentions that the charge for excess has been increased to €8/kg but I believe the increase in allowance and charges is to be reviewed some time this month.

22/04
13th Sep 2006, 21:35
A bit off topic but a friend who was pax ex Sweden last night was allowed to carry liquids in hand baggage; Check in staff said "we don't have a terrorist threat in Sweden!"

nivsy
14th Sep 2006, 19:47
Off the Monarch topic, sorry - but - Going with Iberia next week from AGP via MAD to MUC. Will iberia after recent events let me just take on carry on bag with toileterries contact lense solution etc at Malaga or will they be fussy? Like wise how about Munich security for return leg? They are always quite stringent at MUC.

Tigger4Me
14th Sep 2006, 20:11
Nivsy - Other than the hiccup with Monarch last weekend there are no problems with hand luggage at Malaga. The only restrictions are those that I mentioned in the original post, i.e. No liquids or gels if you are travelling to the US. The Monarch problem, seems to be caused by the fact that a notice intended for use in the UK has found its way to Malaga. My guess is that someone on check-in read it and is applying the restrictions on Monarch flights back to the UK as well. I'm back on duty there at the weekend and will confirm current policy with Iberia and PM you. Sorry no idea about MUC but the general thinking seems to be that if it doesn't involve the UK or US then it's OK.

nivsy
14th Sep 2006, 20:15
Thank you. Would appreciate that.

Nivsy

TSR2
14th Sep 2006, 22:02
Flew back from Faro only 48 hours ago. Monarch have a notice prominently displayed at check-in stating no liquids are allowed through security. I checked this with the handling agent prior to check-in who confirmed that "Any liquids must be placed in hold baggage".

However, there were two items that I inadvertantly left in my hand luggage, a bottle of eau de toilette and a lighter both of which I declared to the security people. They simply put them through the x-ray machine along with my belt, spectacles and contents of my pockets. No hassle whatsoever.

172driver
15th Sep 2006, 07:19
nivsy, neither AGP nor MUC are a problem. Flown through both in the past couple of weeks. This must really be some Monarch jobsworth getting a bit too excited. But then - who would want to fly with them anyway :ugh: :ugh: ?

Evanelpus
15th Sep 2006, 16:01
Last Sunday, on the way to catching ZB019, walked straight through with two plastic bottles of water and a bottle of after sun in my rucksac. Security didn't seem to give a stuff.

Also, I don't remember being asked if I packed my case myself etc etc at check in, however by the time I got to the airport I was pretty tired.

FlyZB
15th Sep 2006, 16:21
Tigger4Me, with regards to this specific incident are you talking about Monarch Charter or Scheduled flights? The reason I ask is because you mention a coach load of passengers travelling ZB to Gatwick and this seems more like an arrangement involving package holiday makers on charter flights as opposed to people travelling on scheduled services who are usually more independant. Anyway, I fly with ZB MAN - AGP on a regular basis and i've got to say i've never had a problem with the reps at Malaga. I've always found them to be extremely efficient and helpful. From what i've seen in the past, and forgive me if this is no longer the case, Monarch Charter (MON) flights usually have reps from the Tour Operators (eg - Cosmos) present at checkin as opposed to the actual ZB (scheduled flight) representatives. In which case, if the incident did occur on a charter flight then this is down to information provided by the Tour Operator and not Monarch themselves.

172driver - who would want to fly with them anyway? Millions of people choose to fly their scheduled services every year and like myself are very happy with the product they provide and continue to use them whenever possible!

Tigger4Me
15th Sep 2006, 16:55
Evanelpus - It's not security who are the problem but the check-in staff who are probably acting under instructions from the handling agent.

FlyZB - Thank you for your reply. I cannot speak for the charter arrangements as we only have an allocation of seats on the scheduled service ZB737. I have spoken to Monarch in Luton and they have confirmed that passengers checking in at AGP for Monarch flights should not be restricted with their hand luggage other than the usual sharps, etc. They did say that they would speak to the handling agent so hopefully the pax will not be inconvenienced again.

Nivsy - As expected, as things are at the moment you will not have any problem with hand luggage on your flight AGP/MAD/MUC.

Evanelpus
16th Sep 2006, 06:06
FlyZB - Thank you for your reply. I cannot speak for the charter arrangements as we only have an allocation of seats on the scheduled service ZB737. I have spoken to Monarch in Luton and they have confirmed that passengers checking in at AGP for Monarch flights should not be restricted with their hand luggage other than the usual sharps, etc. They did say that they would speak to the handling agent so hopefully the pax will not be inconvenienced again.

When we checked in at LTN for the outbound flight we were asked all the usual questions and had to show the hand luggage at the desk. The point I was trying to make was that check in staff just asked if I had hand luggage (they didn't even ask to see it).

Also at LTN, we had to remove our shoes and put them through the scanner, this didn't happen at AGP.

I suppose it's horses for courses and whilst it was annoying to queue at LTN, I'd rather do that and feel a little safer than encounter the rather lax attitude of the Spanish staff.

IB4138
16th Sep 2006, 12:42
I'd rather do that and feel a little safer than encounter the rather lax attitude of the Spanish staff....so spake Evanelpus.

What you encounter in Spain, especially at Malaga, is a normal search routine at security, rather than the OTT, panic ridden, knee jerk policy in force in the UK. The operatives are there to search, but not to delay, antagonise or menace the passenger by the way they carry out their work........but step out of line or look and/or behave suspiciously and you will feel the full force of their authority. Armed Guardia Civil are ALWAYS present at security, which is a deterent in itself.

They do profile passengers, as was demonstrated before me, only 10 days ago, when an odd and shabby looking Muslim family (a man and two women) passed through. Their bags were removed for extra screening, at which the man became aggitated and tried to grab his bag when it exited the x-ray machine for the second time. No messing about, all three and their bags were immediately taken away by the Guardia Civil.

Your comments are unjustified and an insult to the Spanish authorities.

172driver
16th Sep 2006, 13:52
IB4138 Very well said indeed ! :D :ok:

Tigger4Me
16th Sep 2006, 14:26
I am very happy to report a perfect check-in for the ZB737 this morning with 30 happy pax. It seems that we are back on track.

Evanelpus
18th Sep 2006, 08:05
It was not my intention to 'insult'; anyone, I spoke as I found.

It would have been amazingly difficult to profile any of the two or three in front and behind people at the security check as the gentleman concerned was far more interested chatting up his female colleague. If you took offence, I'm sorry about that but you were not there and all I did was write about the facts.

IB4138
18th Sep 2006, 19:19
Evanelpus

Do not try to justify your comments with more "as you see it" remarks. If you don't know how security operates and observes people at a particular airport, then don't put fingures to keyboard.

Lets just say you have got it wrong again!

Evanelpus
19th Sep 2006, 07:58
Do not try to justify your comments with more "as you see it" remarks. If you don't know how security operates and observes people at a particular airport, then don't put fingures to keyboard.

Lets just say you have got it wrong again!

Wow, touchy chappy aren't you. May I politely suggest you take a chill pill and a lie down.

TightSlot
19th Sep 2006, 08:01
Moving on............

nivsy
19th Sep 2006, 11:00
mmm...shall observe with interest as i pass through AGP security on Friday!

Nivsy

IB4138
27th Sep 2006, 17:45
Now yer back nivsy, what are your observations, given that you are already unimpressed with Iberia's bording technique, during your trip.

nivsy
28th Sep 2006, 16:58
There were no problems at all passing through AGP with hand baggage loaded with all "my stuff". Connections worked out ok as well outbound. The MUC security were as always quite stringent but friendly and that also went without any problem. Shame that Iberia had a delay of over 2.5 hours on the outbound to MAD due to "flight crew having now excess hours". Quite how that happens at high noon on short haul I dont know - its not as if the full day had passed. Anyhow they armed us with food vouchers (which is more than than you get on board anyhow without cost) and eventually got us to AGP. At least i was ok for my connection as the Airbus 320 on the MUC-MAD sector was the same aircraft down to AGP!

Yeah boarding was a nightmare at AGP and MAD. Somewhat better organised at MUC.

Thanks for asking.

Nivsy

IB4138
28th Sep 2006, 19:33
Quite frequently the same flying AGP-MAD-MAH with Spanair.

Get off the aircraft at MAD and back on the same aircraft for the second flight to MAH.