PDA

View Full Version : FILM-- AIRLINE PILOT (BA Hamble)

theresalwaysone
10th Sep 2006, 14:51
Anyone know where you can get a copy of either of the two films produced by Hamble about training to be an airline pilot with BA at Hamble?

I thank you

hotmetal
10th Sep 2006, 15:50
http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/vhs/7000000034109.asp

Is this it?

theresalwaysone
17th Sep 2006, 19:15
Thanks YES this is one of them there were two ,the early one they start on Chippies and the later one Piper PA28s

RoyHudd
17th Sep 2006, 22:05
Hamble people couldn't fly anyhow. Get a proper dvd.

(Kidding ---731B)

aviate1138
20th Sep 2006, 10:04
Hamble people couldn't fly anyhow. Get a proper dvd.
(Kidding ---731B)

Why did Hamble types keep telling everyone, ad nauseam, they were the "Best of the Best" ??? Certainly many were good at falling over in the Vandal's Bar after a few beers! :)

Aviate 1138

Rainboe
20th Sep 2006, 13:49
Because they were. For the first time, a totally dedicated airline pilot training system was set up, no expenses spared, to produce pilots capable of going straight in on a 4 engine jet, from beginning to end. Up to that time, I don't believe there was anything comparable. For the years it was running and effective, from the early 60s through to some time in the 70s, thousands of pilots joined BOAC/bea in a large wodge, with unfortunately Rainboe more towards the tail end, all sponsored! How we grumbled paying back £200/year! The corporations got large numbers of fresh meat as the wartime bulge toppled off the seniority lists. The product was a known quantity and quality. How the later schools compare I do not know, but run commercially, I doubt there was or is equivalent infrastructure. That's why the guys were so good, and they'll tell you if you buy them a drink. Concentrated single focus training on the best equipment with no financial constraints.

Unfortunately the drink training wasn't so good, which is why they still pass out so easily.

Captain Airclues
20th Sep 2006, 14:51
Although the film purports to show the trianees progression from the start of the Hamble course, the scenes at Hamble were staged, as the trainee had already joined BOAC by the time that the film was made. The scenes of base training on the VC10 at Shannon and the line training are genuine.
Steve, the subject of the film was a good friend and flatmate. He was the youngest pilot ever to join BOAC. Sadly, he was killed in Spain in 1971.

Airclues

reverserunlocked
23rd Sep 2006, 23:33
I have this on VHS, bought it from Cosford Museum about 7 years ago.

It's a wonderful piece of 60's film making, complete with an Austin Powers-alike soundtrack. All the 'chaps' sit around in comfy chairs puffing cigars, talking about training on the 'bayron'.

Sorry to hear that Peter is no longer with us, Airclues. Were the circumstances aviation-related?

Captain Airclues
23rd Sep 2006, 23:49
Sorry to hear that Peter is no longer with us, Airclues. Were the circumstances aviation-related?

No, Steve (not Peter) was killed in an accident while on holiday. Nothing aviation related.

Airclues