PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Oz - A320 Captain

DirkRose
9th Sep 2006, 21:52
Hello....

Hopefully the right forum for this, I apologies if it isnt! I was unable to locate any useful information in the archives with a search.

For the past week I have had the pleasure of flying with a captain who is very keen to find employment in Australia. Although I grew up in Oz, I have now been in Europe for almost 4 years and was therefore not able to offer much useful advice on the employment situation in Australia! Because he does not currently have internet access I am writing this post for him!

He recently completed some sort of online immigration survey where he was required to tick various boxes to test his elligibility to work in Australia. Naturally of the 200 or so professions to choose from pilot was not one listed. (If you are a Hair Dresser or an oil tanker captain then youre in luck however, Australia is desperate for them!)

He was originally an engineer. He now has the following licence and flying experience:

JAA Airline Transport Pilot’s License
FAA, Airline Transport Pilot License
Swiss, Airline Transport Pilot License
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Pilot License

HS 125 500 Command 100
BAC 1-11 2000 Command 100
Gulfstream IV SP 1100 Command 500
Airbus A320 3600 Command 3100

If there is indeed a shortage of experienced pilots in Australia does he stand a chance in Australia? Are there any pilots here who have been in a similar situation and been successful?

Would greatly appreciate any info/advice you can give him!

Cheers!

DR

jack red
10th Sep 2006, 04:12
Dave will need the following minimum requirements to fly with Jetstar.

Pilot Recruitment Criteria

The minimum requirements for selection as a pilot with Jetstar Airways are:

Hold, or be eligible to hold an Australian ATPL;
Have passes in all Australian ATPL subjects;
Hold, or be eligible to hold, an Australian Class 1 Multi-Engine Command Instrument Rating;
Current Class 1 Medical Certificate;
Hold relevant Australian permanent residency status;
Strong and effective team working compentencies;
Committed to service excellence;
EITHER

Minimum 2000 hours total flying time of which 500 may be helicopter; and
500 hours Pilot in Command (excluding ICUS) of Multi-Engine aircraft.
OR

Minimum 4000 hours total time of which 500 hours may be helicopter time;
Minimum 2000 hours Co-Pilot or Command time on jet transport with a MTOW greater than 40,000kg; and
Minimum 500 hours Pilot in Command (up to 250 hours may be ICUS).
NOTE: Glass cockpit and multi-crew experience preferred.

good luck :ok:

DirkRose
10th Sep 2006, 22:06
Hi...
Thanks for the time you took to post the info JR. I have given him the requirements from the website already but had pondered that if qualified 320 captains are required in Australia then residency may be applied for by Jetstar. Im only basing this on my experience with countries I have lived and worked in and perhaps they are not comparable with a country as harsh on immigration as Oz! Judging by the amount of replies the situation does not look promising :(
Thanks again,
DR

haughtney1
10th Sep 2006, 23:27
Dirk its probably because the whole Jetstar thing has been done to death in the D & G forums:ok:

Easy Ryder
11th Sep 2006, 10:55
Dirk theres no way OZ will grant your mate permanant residency when theres scores of skippy expats with LHS exp, type rated, looking to get back home......

DirkRose
11th Sep 2006, 11:54
Well that is the sort of info I was after! thanks!

Like I have said, Ive lost touch with the situation in Oz. I have no plans to return in the near future, therefore the topic did not interest me to a great degree until now. I apologies for a question that may have been done to death already.

DR

WangFunk
11th Sep 2006, 22:27
Bulla Vinaka...Long time old friend!!! Try Rishworth mate!! They are looking for JAA Airbus crew based in Darwin :}

DirkRose
12th Sep 2006, 00:34
Heya!

Thanks, have passed the info on! What are you up to? pm me or email if you still have my address.

Cya
DR