PDA

View Full Version : Qantas pilots

CLSpringer1223
9th Sep 2006, 21:12
I live in the US and I'm a US citizen and I have wanted to fly for Qantas for a long time. I'm a student pilot right now, and I was wondering what I need to do to better myself and improve my chances to fly for Qantas. Also, how would a person from the US get into Qantas? Are there any programs that I can get in through? Thanks for all the help and comments. I really appreciate everybody taking time out of their busy schedule to help me out.

gimpgimp
9th Sep 2006, 23:19
Go http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/employment/pilots
First thing is to be aware of is you must "Hold Australian Permanent Residency Status"

So education is required in the complex area of Australian immigration!
Or fall in love with an Aussie.
Good luck.

OhForSure
9th Sep 2006, 23:44
1) Become Australian Resident
2) Become friends with senior QF pilot

OR

Alternatively: Become engaged to senior QF pilot's daughter (thus killing two birds with one stone).

*** In all seriousness, the residency thing is the only relevant issue. You would stand as good a chance as anyone if you had Aussie residency. You should know however that QF is extremely competitive and there are no "programs" that would maneouver you into a more hirable position. If you are content with working for the Qantas Group, then I think you'll find that Jetstar Airways are likely to be hiring for the considerable future... THEY have a program that will help you get in (others can explain said program in further detail).:ok:

podbreak
10th Sep 2006, 03:28
or you could wait a few years until JetstarUSA is established and you could join the Qantas Group pilot body as a yank! :}

speeeedy
10th Sep 2006, 04:20
The best way for a US citizen to become a pilot with Qantas is to become a hollywood movie star first then call Qantas.

It worked for J.T. it may just work for you.

TurboOtter
10th Sep 2006, 10:22
to get into the big Q, grow some bumps on your chest, then break an airplane, your start date will come in a short amount of time:ok:

relax737
10th Sep 2006, 20:36
Join the Masons.

pakeha-boy
10th Sep 2006, 21:13
mate...you need to set your sights much higher...try Air New Zealand....better pilots and a better class of people for sure:} :} :}

haughtney1
10th Sep 2006, 21:59
Careful PB......that kind of comment will get you 7 years as a cruise pilot :E

Tempo
10th Sep 2006, 22:36
Hi There,

Assuming you can get residency then check out the website-www.qantas.com.au. There is a link to employment. Also, why not give them a call. I am sure they would be happy to answer any questions you may have or at least give you an email address (if they are too busy to talk).

Qantas requires 500 hours in command to apply. Some people get in with the minimums, some have several thousand hours on joining. If you are really serious about getting into Qantas-apply the moment you get 500 hours. Get your name on file and keep updating them on a regular basis (every 500 hours). Just because you apply does not mean you will get an interview-depends on their recruitment requirements at the time. But then again, you may apply and have an interview within weeks.

Contrary to what some people have said-its not who you know or how many hours you have on a space shuttle, its how well you perform on the day. There are aptitude tests, a simulator exercise and a panel interview. Each stage of recruitment requires a high performance to eventually gain employment. Just like any other airline, progression to the next stage and employment depends on your performance, how motivated you are and also the performance of the industry. And again, contrary to what many people say, they are a great company to work for.

Cheers

Make sure you do year 12 maths and physics too (year 12=final year of highschool).

pakeha-boy
10th Sep 2006, 22:55
Tempo...well mate,Ive pulled myself together and can write now....but a well written piece for the poster,and one I hope she/he takes note off.....a good serious post was certainly required...........but it now proves to me that many Quantus pilots are a bunch of fibbers indeed and for them to make up those stories is a fate worse than death....

Tankengine
10th Sep 2006, 23:24
PB,
I wouldn't like to get into a discussion re ratio of fibbers : QF/ not QF!;)