View Full Version : HK Medical System

Glacier1900
9th Sep 2006, 06:13
What's it like? Do you feel safe taking your wife/kids there? Does CX or any other HK flying jobs cover all medical? Is there any that don't?
I'm sure this must happen a lot at CX, what happens if an Expat couple has a child in HK? Is there much paperwork? Is the child considered a HK citizen? Does it cost you an arm and a leg (or your second born)?
One of my wifes (many) important questions, and so I've heard "A happy wife it a happy life!"
Thank you
GLR1900

AAIGUY
9th Sep 2006, 12:38
Child can be a resident, but will not be a "citizen" till after 7 years in country.

betaboy
12th Sep 2006, 12:53
There's plenty of stuff on this site to answer your questions. Basically, the HK public medical system is excellent, and basically free. It is better, I'd say, than the Canadian universal health care system, which is the only other one I know.

Cx has excellent coverage for private health care and drugs. Not everything is covered (like pregancies are not, but you can use the public system for free, and complications from pregancy ARE covered), but it is very comprehensive and I'm sure as good as any other corporate medical plan.

If you've perused this site for awhile, you'll note that although pilots here aren't shy to complain, there aren't many complaining about the health coverage!