PDA

View Full Version : Cairns accident

CaptCloudbuster
9th Sep 2006, 05:03
just heard rnw reopened to 2100m after being closed for over 1.5hrs due accident.... any more info??

forgetabowdit
9th Sep 2006, 05:46
Heard on Brisbane today that the runway had been reduced to 1900m available and that it was due pavement failure... I know that there had been men with hand tools working around the 15 threshold for the past few weeks, maybe something there... Heard a Sunnies Dash enquire after he had heard that CS may have only been open to departing ac. For that dash, TSV was an option, but didnt hear what eventuated... 737 would get in with no tailwind i believe and i also was led to believe that the 76 out perofrms the 73 (or does at cooli anyway)... Anyway...

Minimbah
9th Sep 2006, 06:40
My daughter was on a flight (VB I think) due to arrive CNS about 1500 today. Was "half way" there and flight turned around back to BNE. Has been told re-board at 1800 today. She was told an aeroplane "landed heavily and damaged the runway".

Bula
9th Sep 2006, 07:11
god damn islander :)

woftam
9th Sep 2006, 07:15
Nothing mentioned on the current ATIS?

ATIS YBCS N 090703
RWY: 15
+ WND: 100/12,
MAX XW 10 KTS
CLD: CAVOK
+ TMP: 24
QNH: 1015

DirtyPierre
9th Sep 2006, 10:45
Cairns had a pavement failure where the old pavement and the new work meet. Bits of bitumen everywhere.

I wasn't told what caused the failure, but R33 available for arrivals, 1839m available. R15 for departures. Eventually situation resolved a few hours later. Runway works to continue tonight.

blueloo
9th Sep 2006, 10:54
just up there yesterday, and they were well aware of the joint between new and old surface although there was no mention in notams of the bump.

we first became aware of the bump on landing at night, and by bump i mean it felt like the gear was almost ripped off.

we re-visited it the next day for departure, and same thing only we were a bit slower when we hit it.

they mentioned they were fixing it that night.......

JuliettePapa69
9th Sep 2006, 10:56
Hi everyone, We landed yesterday evening with a swiss private B757 and at about abeam rwy threshold 15, we felt a huge bump, but that was absolutly acceptable, no handling problem, just a little bit of inconfort.
By the way, first time for me on this site, any chance for one of you to explain me how to bring a new subject to talk to !

Many thanks!

Tarq57
9th Sep 2006, 12:15
Hello JP69, near the top left and bottom left of each forum homepage is a "post new thread" icon. Klikkit. Type. :8

Dookie on Drums
10th Sep 2006, 01:02
The new pavement which had not yet been cured was lifted off by jet blast. :ugh: Hopefully all repairs were finished last night :*