PDA

View Full Version : Interline travel (jumpseat)

lostinacornfield
9th Sep 2006, 02:51
I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but the other forums don't seem appropriate. I have been working as a regional pilot in the States and have enjoyed the flight benefits by traveling more in the last year than I had in the previous 20+ years. I've been using our reciprocal jumpseat agreements to travel but have been limited by some of the other airlines.

Do any airlines outside of the US and Canada have jumpseat agreements similar to what we have in the US (other airlines' pilots riding for free in an empty seat or the actual jumpseat)? I am mainly interested in European and Asian airlines, but any information from any airline is appreciated.

Also, if you are familiar with Air Canada or WestJet, do these two airlines allow international jumpseaters (from an American airline which they have a reciprocal with) such as from Vancouver to Narita? I assume that something like Chicago to Toronto is no big deal since there aren't many places besides Canada these two go from the US.

flybywire
9th Sep 2006, 13:11
Hello!

I do not know about Canadian arlines but in BA we have an agreement.

First of all it depends what you mean by Jumpseat. We call jumpseats the F/D seats and also the cabin crew seats.

For the CC seats (in the cabin) the normal restrictions for ABP apply. Anyone could be authorized for the use of a CC JS as long as 1) the cabin crew are happy to share the seat 2) the captain agrees 3) the person is an ABP. Full briefing on emergencies/location of safety equipment (02 mask/lifejacket/brace position) must be given.

For the F/D JS it is different. Only people with a BA or BAConnect ID (and in theory commuting to and from work) can occupy the F/D jumpseat. (there are other exceptions too but other airlines' employees are excluded.)
For the F/D as well as the CC jumpseat the captain has full discretion. That is: there's no loading priority like for these special seats unlike with empty passengers seats.

I do not know what airline you work for, however I know BA has a huge list of airlines that are part of the same employee staff benefits and if you ever found yourself stuck without a seat with us do ask for the CC jumpseat-most of our guys and girls always try their best not to leave anybody behind!! :ok:

Good luck!!

FBW:)

PS: I forgot to say, there's no such thing as a "free ride" in BA and most european airlines. You do pay 10% of the ticket+taxes. I know that in Italy sometimes pilots/cabin crew ask the captain for a "lift": this sometimes happens but it entirely depends on the captain's good heart on the day. It is not a set and approved procedure, in fact I know of some people who got sacked for asking for a lift.