View Full Version : Gloster Javelin Test Pilots

hm06
8th Sep 2006, 12:41
Hello,
I am an author/publisher of history books on experimental aviation. I am now compiling a book on flight testing Gloster Javelin prototypes and early production machines. I need to contact any former Javelin test pilot, project personnel or next of kin, for pictures, flight logs and documents.
I will be grateful for any help.
Henry Matthews
HPM Publications
www.HPMPublications.com (Books)
www.worldx-planes.com (Magazine)

Yarpy
8th Sep 2006, 16:42
The only one I heard of was Air Commodore John Sowrey who, I believe, won the AFC landing a Javelin without the hydraulic system. I do not have a contact but believe he lives in Suffolk. He would be in his mid eighties I think.
Best of luck !

hm06
8th Sep 2006, 19:17
Thank you very much Yarpi.
Bill Waterton aldso got the George Medal for managing to land the first Javelin in one piece and saving the vital data, in 1952.

Cheers

H

AngloPepper
11th Sep 2006, 23:50
Suggest you might try to reach Bernard Noble via his publisher
http://www.oldforgepublishing.org/oldforge.html .
He conducted much of the CA release flying for the later models of Javelin. Moreover, in writing his books he has probably got some great contacts in the wizened TP community.

Shawn Coyle
17th Sep 2006, 12:06
I understand that Jan Zurokowski was one of the company test pilots, and that he left the company because of concerns about their engineering practices. I don't have much beyond a personal conversation with him on the subject - probably more in one of the books on this marvellous gentleman.