PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an opportunity in corporate aviation

PicMas
8th Sep 2006, 09:29
Gents,
As it has long been my goal to make a career in corporate aviation, I hope for some helpful advice in this forum.
I am looking for ideas how to get the career going, I feel I have served my dues with instruction (1700hrs) and charter (300hrs) 2300TT over the last 7 years.
I have worked contracts in the US, Caribbean and Far East, always with the plans and dreams that "an opportunity will come along".
I am currently captain on a King Air. I love corporate flying, I love flying the King Air. Problem is it only flies 120-150hrs a year - hardly a full-time job.
I don't mind doing "associated duties" such as flight planning, catering, maybe grabbing the vaccum cleaner, as long as I'm not being abused and it's not becoming the primary duties - always believed in lending a hand and being flexible.
I am determined to NEVER! pay for a typerating, but would on the contrary consider bonding - again as long as it's reasonable.
My CV reflects experience from different cultures, different kinds of work on different continents, unfortunately it lacks jet time and typeratings.
I am looking for a long-term commitment, not an hr-building job. I have FAA licenses and am a bit reluctant to doing JAA conversion as it is expensive and jobs are few and far between in Europe - unless you buy a rating and possibly also hours.
I realize this is a lot of whining and venting, but just maybe somebody has an idea I would've never thought of....

Itswindyout
8th Sep 2006, 11:24
I wish you all the best.

But I am not certain if the NON JAA licence is the correct route.

If you wish to work in Europe on corporate then please consider the JAA, yes it is expensive, and yes it is a pain in the butt.
But I know several pilots who have either made a good life with and without JAA, so it is an interesting fence to sit on.
But then with ATP on both, I can sit happy on the fence, and I would say that.!!!!

I agree that to pay for a type rating is an expensive exercise, but sometimes it does work. For example to get a type on a newly introduced type will get you to the top of the pile, and if you are happy freelancing, then who knows.

Keep in touch, we have several project on the boil. (but all (now) involve JAA licences).

windy