bmi can't hide from the CAA Statistics.

Passengers Carried on the Airbus fleet (A319/20/21/30):

February 2005 432,452
February 2006 374,068 (down 13.5%)

January 2005 449,197
January 2006 385,048 (down 14.3%)

December 2004 481,873
December 2005 433,836 (down 10.0%)

(Edit: Lucifer beat me to it, but you will notice bmi have cleverly pursuaded the CAA to combine all it's passenger statistics under the "BMI GROUP" of late, making it impossible to provide a proper year-on-year comparison for bmi 'mainline' numbers as the latest stats are lumped in with regional and baby. Looking at the passengers carried by aircraft type is the only way to do it)

flyme69
7th Jun 2006, 23:09
what I should have said. is that they have not shown their figures since feb!!!!

MarkD
8th Jun 2006, 05:10
replacing 321s with 319s won't have helped those numbers...

WHBM
8th Jun 2006, 11:59
Don't forget that the reduced loads are in conjunction with the newly-marketed "Tiny" fares from Heathrow, so presumably the revenue is even further down. When are BMI's annual accounts out ?

How did BMI persuade the CAA to accept consolidated passenger figures when their different operations are, as far as I am aware, on different AOCs ?

I wonder what the revenue is like from the buy-on-board refreshments because, compared to say Ryanair, so few pax seem to buy anything from it.

doo
8th Jun 2006, 20:32
Ahh the slag bmi boys have come out again:suspect:

ManAtTheBack
9th Jun 2006, 11:00
Ahh the slag bmi boys have come out again:suspect:

doo do you have anything positive to report on bmi (mainline) passenger numbers, backed up by figures?

Anne.Nonymous
9th Jun 2006, 11:33
Sorry but why, in the highly competitive market in which we work, should a company regularly announce the passenger figures so that competitors may take advantage? It is something for the airline to know and the competition to find out - not be handed on a platter! Every airline has a person with responsibilty for finding out how the opposition is doing and how their own airline can take advantage of those facts.

There is a statutory requirement to give the figures to the CAA and if bmi and the CAA have agreed a format by which this is to be done then that is up to them. Just because it might frustrate those who wish to interpret them to help their own agenda then more power to bmi's elbow.

Already these figures have been regularly placed by Pprune members who have access to all airline passenger figures by dint of where they work in other airlines. They have, in the past, taken the opportunity to use these to do down bmi - haven't they, Flightxxxxx? Who then can blame bmi for trying to make it a bit more difficult? Commercial savvy.

Anne :D

Blue Baron
9th Jun 2006, 13:54
Apparenty passenger numbers down, but yield and revenue up.

Whats wrong with that???

queenvic
10th Jun 2006, 09:53
some of bmi regional are operated for shell. ABZ-ESJBERG AND ABZ-AMS Shell purchase a set amount of seats on each flights. Is could be a similar reason why we are seeing the start of SOU-AMS if it happens. So on these routes surprised its not an all business cabin. One of the best preforming bmi regional route is LBA-EDI although believe there is an agreement with leeds airport that shortly expires allowing other airlines to operate the route. Expect JET2 to start the route soon then.

BMIBABY. Perfect setup but lacked investment to expand the company. Would have liked to see them it operate more to the med. Could have seen it as big as JET2 or FLYBE. Pax loads continues to rise completely opposite to mainlain bmi. Good for a potential take over target.

Mainline - focusing on medhaul. Damman, moscow, lanarca, kiev all expected.

Longhual - No expansion expected. Man to close eventually a/c to move to lhr. Cariberranean + LAS at end of summer.

Rumours of LHR - COLOMBO.

Flightrider
10th Jun 2006, 16:06
Sorry, only just read this thread and I see there are one or two jibes.

I hadn't posted the most recent sets of figures because I assumed that a blow-by-blow account wasn't of interest to anyone judging by previous responses, which sank into a "oh they're doing badly" versus an "oh no they're not" discussion which didn't really add a lot. I have it to hand if anyone is interested.

Winter highlights:

Heathrow-Dammam six-times weekly this winter with an A320.

Competition from Scot Airways on Leeds-Edinburgh.

Southampton-Amsterdam announcement looks to have invited Flybe to have a go as well with 2 x daily Embraer 195 up against bmi regional's 145. Just how thinly can regional spread operating bases around the country?

Heathrow-Moscow daily; and another set of prime-time slots at Heathrow loaned out to Transaero so that they can fly a second daily.

doo
10th Jun 2006, 19:07
doo do you have anything positive to report on bmi (mainline) passenger numbers, backed up by figures?

Nope,
Just noticed that this thread is starting to go the way of so many of the previous bmi threads, one wonders how much of it is from the competition.:ugh:

ManAtTheBack
11th Jun 2006, 15:27
Just noticed that this thread is starting to go the way of so many of the previous bmi threads, one wonders how much of it is from the competition.:ugh:

I do not work for the competition, or any airline. I am a former loyal bmi frequent flyer who has defected to BA in response to their New Business Model. This decision was not because of any great love for BA, but as a result of bmi slashing the benefits of flying with them.

Since I am sure that I am not alone amongst frequent bmi users of having deserted them, I am just surprised that bmi are suggesting that the falling passenger figures are a vindication of their New Business Model.

DIRECTTANGODELTA
8th Sep 2006, 07:42
Does BMI have an aircraft shortage? all of this week the LHR-MME operation has used Titan on the first morning MME departure, the 146 positions in from STN every morning to operate the flight. The usual 319/320 nightstopper positions back to LHR after the last LHR-MME at around 10pm. Must be costing a fortune!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

onion
8th Sep 2006, 09:30
Directtangodelta could it be that we are seeing the death of the LHR-MME. We all know that bmi see these slots as potential slots for longer haul flights. Just have to look over the last few years what has happened to the route.
Reduction from 5 a day to 3, down to just 2 a day on a saturday, playing around with the timings so it is harder to connect with other flights in and out of LHR, the fact that the timings aren't as good as they used to be for a days work in London, the re modelling of the business model seems to be putting people off and now leasing in aircraft, I also notice Julys figures for the Heathrow are down 20% to 9223 on the same month last year. When you consider there were 16000+ a month travelling on the route just 2 yaers ago something somewhere is seriously wrong.

Sorry for going off topic but I think bmi have got it wrong at LHR and this is part of the problem, they should be fighting to keep pax on routes like MME because it brings in a completly different market into play at LHR and they have the monopoly on that market. If they lose LHR-MME they will lose a large number of connecting pax.