PDA

View Full Version : people started clapping just after we landed

Sumatra
7th Sep 2006, 20:04
I travel about 70,000 miles a year on scheduled but only recently on low cost and never on charter.

On a recent flight with a well known low cost airline I was quite amused when people started clapping just after we landed.

I couldn't decide whether it was an expression of appreciation or relief or simply well wishers accompanying one of the crew on their first flight. I had never come across it before.

Farrell
7th Sep 2006, 20:30
It happens a lot.
"Englanders" do it a lot on charter flights to their equivalent of Mecca called Spain - if they are not too drunk to slap their hands together.
I have seen it happen in China too where pilots are advertised as "heroes".

SXB
7th Sep 2006, 20:45
I don't think it's an English thing, people in the Former Soviet Union have been doing it for years though in their case it's sheer relief. Things are not as bad as they were in the FSU, I've taken a few internal FSU flights over the last 6 months (up until earlier this year my employer actually forbaid such flights) and I noticed that they had things like seat belts, cabin crew and no passengers standing in aisle because of lack of seats. Flying internally in this region in the mid 1990's really was an experience.

I have been on scheduled European flights where a few people have applauded on landing but normally they are glared at by the other passengers and soon shut up.

lexxity
7th Sep 2006, 21:13
I've only ever seen this on flights in the US, I've never seen it over here in the UK.

gorgeous spotter
7th Sep 2006, 21:27
I don't think it's an English thing, people in the Former Soviet Union have been doing it for years though in their case it's sheer relief. Things are not as bad as they were in the FSU, I've taken a few internal FSU flights over the last 6 months (up until earlier this year my employer actually forbaid such flights) and I noticed that they had things like seat belts, cabin crew and no passengers standing in aisle because of lack of seats. Flying internally in this region in the mid 1990's really was an experience.

I have been on scheduled European flights where a few people have applauded on landing but normally they are glared at by the other passengers and soon shut up.

Ooh, only the Europeans could glare at other people expressing their enthusiam!! :) I have been on flights to Greece and Spain where the pilots have been applauded on landing, so it must be a British thing too.

foxile
7th Sep 2006, 21:29
I've experienced it a few times on TAP, always makes me smile.

I guess it is just a case of non-regular SLFs just happy to made it back to terra firma :D

CHIVILCOY
7th Sep 2006, 21:30
I do it if I see my baggage arriving on the belt after flying with Iberia!!!;)

Dushan
8th Sep 2006, 00:58
Experinced clapping, upon landing, for the first time on Alitalia Rome - Montreal in 1971. It is true it happens more on charters, but majors are not immune. AC, AF, LH Canada - Europe get it from time to time, in various degrees of enthusiasm.

CSilvera
8th Sep 2006, 03:31
I think on every flight I've taken to and from Israel, people clap.

Bangkokeasy
8th Sep 2006, 06:45
It happens quite a lot on flights to holiday destinations and other charter flights.

I will never forget a time very early in BKKE's career as SLF, when I used to hop a friend's pilgimage charters to Lourdes for the duty free. On one occasion, an engine failed with a loud bang during the takeoff run and we came to an abrupt stop. Apart from me, the plane was full of pilgrims, who are normally very enthusiastic clappers. However, on this occasion, every single one of them were silent, furiously crossing themselves and offering up prayers of thanks!

nivsy
8th Sep 2006, 08:35
Lots of ppl do it after arrival in Gibraltar flying GB Airways usually for the following reasons:

Flight actually on time

No low cloud and visibility good enough for approach

Pilots manage to avoid ships in the bay

Road actually closed and no stray cars - people -footballs hit during touch down

Pilots managed to stop aircraft rolling of end of runway and into water

Breaking of aircraft on landing not gut wrenching - which sometimes it is

Sandwiches actually editable - not always the case!

Nivsy:p

TightSlot
8th Sep 2006, 08:37
I think it's rather nice, actually.... :)

Gouabafla
8th Sep 2006, 08:57
It happens a lot on flights to and from Africa. There was a thread that mentioned it in the African aviation section a few months back.

I've been through a few airports where I really wanted to clap when the aircraft took off!

tart1
8th Sep 2006, 09:08
Years ago, it always happened on the Italian flights when I worked for Monarch - Pisa, Genoa, Rome (Ciampino), Milan - when the passengers were all Italians, not British holidaymakers.

They were usually quite noisy inflight too!!!!! :)

the dean
8th Sep 2006, 09:27
seems to happen most of the time and on ALL the holiday destination flights.

if is for '' well we made it''... fine....

if its ''congratulations to the pilot for a landing like that ''...or''are we on the ground??''...do'nt they know we do landings like that all the time ...and we do'nt need to be clapped for it....!!!:D :D

Sumatra
8th Sep 2006, 11:58
I can imagine when they permit the use of mobile phones in flight an additional safety announcement will have to be made asking passengers to put their phones down before they clap least they slip out of their hands and poke someones eye out!
:O

bealine
8th Sep 2006, 12:03
.......but only recently on low cost and never on charter

What you have to remember is that most of the pax on low-cost and charter airlines are from a background that would have been doing "Wallace Arnold" coach tours a few years ago until air fares came within reach.

The clapping thing is a follow-on from the days when a cap would be passed around collecting tips for the driver!

As Tight Slot says, it is rather nice, rather polite and rather British!

ERASER
8th Sep 2006, 12:47
On a flight some years ago, just out of the island of Mauritius (Technical fuelling stop) on a SAA B747, we had an really “bad” engine failure and the flight returned to Mauritius………….as the a/c touched down the passenger cabin erupted in applause….one drunk passenger stood up, turned around, looked at everybody and with a straight face said…..”you people applauding….you can’t swim can you”!!!

E

TG345
9th Sep 2006, 08:10
Have noticed it on every flight I have taken (I guess about half a dozen returns) with Eva on their LHR-BKK-TPE route.

daz211
9th Sep 2006, 08:22
the spanish do it alot
I have flown on lots of Low cost airlines flights to
the spanish mainland for (fag run) and every flight
the spanish pax clapped on landing

but there was one flight to italy where I felt like a pop star
I was working at STN for RYR it was the airlines first flight
to TSF when the a/c was making its way to the stand
I noticed people clapping and waving flags around the
fence area think there is a school next to the airfield

MNBluestater
9th Sep 2006, 08:28
worked for an airline where we always got applause on arrival at Las Vegas, Nevada. (US gambling and entertainment mecca for those unaware...)

Flock1
9th Sep 2006, 13:14
The only time I've experienced the 'clapping' was Skyeurope from Manchester to Bratislava. The weather was clear with no wind. In other words, not a particularly bad landing.

What was also strange was the woman across the aisle from me. She was reading her book all through the approach and landing, and once we were down, and the clapping started, she started as well. It was as if it was a reflex action. She heard clapping, and then joined in. She soon stopped though when she realised I was looking.

flybywire
9th Sep 2006, 13:33
I travel about 70,000 miles a year on scheduled but only recently on low cost and never on charter.
On a recent flight with a well known low cost airline I was quite amused when people started clapping just after we landed.
I couldn't decide whether it was an expression of appreciation or relief or simply well wishers accompanying one of the crew on their first flight. I had never come across it before.

Hello!
I just wanted to say that it is very much an Italian thing too. It happens regularly on BA scheduled flights - especially on our Italian flights, and I believe it's a mixture of feeling the relief of being still in one piece (Italians are very superstitious) and that they have finally reached their destination. Having said that, it usually happens when big parties of leisure passengers are involved (teenagers are the worst LOL) and usually with those who are non-frequent fliers.

I remember I did it myself with my friends once when I was much younger - it was great fun and the cabin crew couldn't stop laughing!!

So don't worry - it's a bit like being at a football match where everybody wins :E

FBW:)

jetset lady
9th Sep 2006, 14:53
[quote

The clapping thing is a follow-on from the days when a cap would be passed around collecting tips for the driver!

quote]

Hey, maybe those of us without hats need to start voting them back into the uniform and passing them around at the end of a flight! Could be a way of upping the wages.

I can beat clapping on a flight though. I was unfortunate enough to be on the last BA flight back from MAN (not working thank God), the night England qualified for the World Cup. The poor little BA 737 was chocka full of "slightly" inebriated football supporters instead of it's normal mostly sensible pax and went barreling down the runway to a loud, rowdy chorus of Que sara sara both on take-off and landing. I am pleased to say that after a short spell of counselling the aircraft was able to fly again!

PAXboy
9th Sep 2006, 19:52
When I was commuting between London and Munich on LH for 18 months, there was a particular statement that elicited applause.

Whilst taxing to the stand, some (not all) of the captains would say (but only in German) "Welkom by Freistaat Bayern." Welcome to the Free State of Bavaria. This alwaye drew applause from the cabin.

During my time in Bavaria, the locals would say, "You don't want to go to the North of the country [Hamburg/Berlin] because it's all full of Germans." ;)

Evening Star
9th Sep 2006, 21:46
Can confirm the earlier comments about it being a very Russian thing to do. Happens on all the internal flights in Russia and marks out the Russians on international flights arriving in Russia. Not surprising coming from a nation noted for a fatalistic pessimism.:hmm:

chrisstiles
9th Sep 2006, 21:49

Happened to me recently, FYR flight (first and please god last) landing at Stanstead.

Brian H
10th Sep 2006, 08:50
When ever I fly with HLX from the UK to Germany, the German passengers on board always clap when we land.

TopBunk
10th Sep 2006, 09:48
.....chorus of Que sara sara .....
Classic example of modern education... :) :sad: :rolleyes: :8

DingerX
10th Sep 2006, 09:50
I've gone many times in and out of Italy (used to live there) without applause. Sometimes, it does happen, but most of my recollections are of fairly quiet landings.
The last time I can remember applause in the cabin was riding a CY A320 LCA-FCO. A remember an uneventful final, passing through scattered thin low cloud cover. Then the pilot goes TOGA and pulls up hard and to the right. Then WHAM! #1 has a classic full-pyro compressor stall, flames shooting out the front and the back, and the airframe shuddering like someone had whacked it with a bat.
Immediately - and I mean immediately - everyone in the cabin breaks into thunderous applause.

We hang there, flying straight but in a slight left bank 30 seconds. Then the captain comes on the PA and explains "there was another aircraft on the runway and we'd be on the ground in five minutes". More than one guy in the cabin snickered, and I heard loud remarks in Greek, Italian and English to the effect that the pilot had simply screwed up the approach.

Dushan
10th Sep 2006, 14:56
Now that we know when and how it happens, I'd like to ask a question: Does it bother you? If you are CC or on the FD are you embarassed, amused, don't care? As a pasanger I am always unconfortable and embarassed when people clap around me.

jetset lady
10th Sep 2006, 16:08
I can't speak for others but as CC, I quite like it. Applause is considered a way of showing appreciation and I'd rather that than the opposite! Of course, there are the occasions following a particularly dodgy landing when it's down to just plain relief that we're on the ground, the right way up and facing the right way but hey, that's always good too!! :ooh: :D

Pax Vobiscum
10th Sep 2006, 17:29
Happens on all the internal flights in Russia and marks out the Russians on international flights arriving in Russia.
I'm glad to hear this is still going on. It used to be standard practice in the former SU, but I guess there was more to be relieved about when you landed safely in those days!

SXB
10th Sep 2006, 19:41
Pax Vobiscum

I can understand why the Russians applaud, some of the stuff I witnessed flying around there in the mid 1990's was, I kid you not, staggering. Non functioning seat belts was the most common, on the occasions when there were cabin crew (sometimes there were none) they just told you to tie the belt in a knot if the buckle wasn't there or didn't work. On occasion there were no belts at all and on one flight I remember the belt was substituted with a piece of rope.

Armenian and Azeri airlines often flew overloaded with people standing in the aisles, this still happens today as a colleague of mine flew from Yerevan to somewhere in Nagarno Karabakh last month and reported 'standers'

DingerX
11th Sep 2006, 04:56
. Non functioning seat belts was the most common, on the occasions when there were cabin crew (sometimes there were none) they just told you to tie the belt in a knot if the buckle wasn't there or didn't work.

Heck, I saw that happen in the min-nineties (97 to be exact), on a Tower Air flight (JFK-ORY) during their brief run at trying to be a regularly-scheduled airline.
Seatbelt of the guy next to me was installed backwards. On popping the cushion, we found that a pin was installed to prevent seatbelt from "deplaning" -- so we couldn't fix it. Called the FA over,

"It's your seat, sit in it"

Interestingly, the aircraft never got above FL220, and there was no applause on landing (but plenty of relief).

Smiliesam
11th Sep 2006, 07:37
Going to Strasbourg on a charter with a large choir, hold ups and frustrations abounded. We were so happy to finally land (albeit with hot coffee still in some mitts) that we broke into the 'Hallelujah' chorus! One up from clapping!:)

angels
11th Sep 2006, 12:19
I like the clapping as well. I used to fly to Frankfurt every other week (had a girlfriend there) and I would say clapping occurred on 20-25 percent of the flights outbound. But inbound never. No idea why.

Probably the most touching incident was where about the half the outbound flight consisted of some elderly Jews of German descent -- the bulk of whom were returning to their ex-homeland for the first time in years, or perhaps since the 30s.

When we touched out there were floods of tears and clapping. It was most poignant.

SLFguy
11th Sep 2006, 15:01
Any flight from Glasgow will end with the clapping thing..dunno why tho..

nivsy
11th Sep 2006, 17:42
Any flight from Glasgow? I must have been drunk on all of these hundreds of flights had ex Glasgow then! Thats worrying - dont recall one bout of handclapping!:{

Evening Star
11th Sep 2006, 19:50
Non functioning seat belts was the most common, on the occasions when there were cabin crew (sometimes there were none) they just told you to tie the belt in a knot if the buckle wasn't there or didn't work

My trips to the FSU did not start until 2001 so cannot comment before. Have seen some pretty tired seat belts, but only once have I had to tie the thing because the buckle was not working (an Aeroflot Don TU154). Felt like clapping when we landed with that one.

apaddyinuk
11th Sep 2006, 20:07
Happens on BA from time to time too!!! Never in the premium cabins mind!!! lol! Last had it two weeks ago after landing in LHR from TLV where a bunch of students set the clapping in motion!

Middle Seat
12th Sep 2006, 04:13
Never seen it happen in the US, other than one uneventful landing after a five or so hour delay. Relief at arrival I think it was.

I'm more intrigued when I see people cross themselves as the plane takes off

Skintman
12th Sep 2006, 11:59
I've starting to break into sponteous clapping when I finally get through check in and security. Landing the plane safely is the easy bit nowdays.:ugh:

I first saw landing clapping in US in 1980's. didn't know what it was all about then, still don't really. :sad:

Skintman

BORN4THESKYS
12th Sep 2006, 12:49
On a flight back from New York with a well known American airline people started clapping after landing, came down in a rather bumpy crosswind, but I have to say a smooth touchdown. What made myself and others have a chuckle was the Captains modesty when taxing to the ramp. He thanked everyone for flying with them, and then went on to say "I think you'll all agree that was an excellent landing I just performed there". :ok:

StarWinder
12th Sep 2006, 14:38
I've been on flights where they clapped and others where they cr@pped :ok:

the dean
12th Sep 2006, 15:32
I'm more intrigued when I see people cross themselves as the plane takes off[/quote]

had a flight as pax one day out of LHR where so much holy water was being splashed about DIRECTY APPLIED TO ALL SURROUNDING PASSANGERS FROM AN OPEN BOTTLE..that i thought we had a much better chance of drowning than crashing...!!!!...thought we might have to inflate the jackets INSIDE the aircraft to survive...!!:} :}

PAXboy
12th Sep 2006, 16:38
the dean...holy water was being splashed about DIRECTY APPLIED TO ALL SURROUNDING PASSANGERS FROM AN OPEN BOTTLESo, if I take a bottle of Evian's finest and splash it over my fellow passengers, I would certainly be 'cautioned' by the CC and they would keep their eye on me for the duration of the journey. If I persisted, I might be detained for actions likely to cause a breach of the peace.

But ... all I have to do is say that it is 'holy water' and no one minds? I shall keep a look out for anyone trying to sprinkle me with water during a flight!! :*

Dushan
13th Sep 2006, 00:58
If Sikhs can carry kirpans onto a plane, for religious reasons, and Muslim women can have their faces completely covered so that no one knows if the pasport picture matches, for religious reasons; can Christians take a bottle of Holly Water on a plane?

TightSlot
13th Sep 2006, 08:00
This thread is beginning to creep...

stuttflyer
13th Sep 2006, 11:50
I have experienced it on a flight to Cagliari (Sardinia) a B 737-500 operated by HLX.

iskandra
10th Oct 2006, 23:04
I can confirm that all Germans on charter flights do this as well...never mind how calm the flight was. I keep thinking it's kind of weird - don't they expect the best from the crew?? I would like it if anyone started collecting tips in a hat, though... :}

4potflyer
11th Oct 2006, 08:26
on a scheduled flight.

But that really was due to appreciaton/relief ;-).

The air conditioning relief valve went t/u on takeoff and the ceiling panels started blowing off...

MisterBliss
11th Oct 2006, 10:39
The pope kisses the ground when he arrives, what would you when flying with Alitalia :)
So clapping isn't so strange, YES ! we've survived it again!

Will Hung
11th Oct 2006, 12:04
I was once waiting at Manchester to go on a skiing holiday with the wonderful Balkan Air. A rather beaten up TU 154 approached the gate. Some passengers, when disembarking, were kissing the tarmac. We found this very amusing, and didn't really know why. Once we boarded, we realised !! Threadbare carpets, netting hand luggage racks, ugly hostesses covered in make up etc. etc. Once into the flight, I was waiting to get in the forward WC standing next to the open cockpit door looking straight through. I thought it strange that we we were in cloud in the cruise. Closer inspection revealed it was cigarette smoke. All three were puffing away ! Applause greeted the landing at Plovdiv, and it was undoubtedly relief ! On the way back, the departure lounge at Plovdiv was a tiny room with six plastic patio chairs. When the call came to board it was a free for all, running across the tarmac, no segregation of smokers etc. One offended non-smoker decided to trade insults, and then blows with a smoker ! When we landed back at Manchester, people were kissing the tarmac again. Happy days !!

James 1077
11th Oct 2006, 12:45
I had it on a Ryanair flight to Dublin a couple of weeks ago.

The landing was extraordinarily heavy to the point that most people on board (including cabin crew) audibly gasped - to be fair though it was very windy.

Once people realised that we hadn't crashed about half the plane started applauding; probably due to relief!

Hirsutesme
11th Oct 2006, 14:37
Flew from Nicaragua to mexico city, despite numerous attempts, one flap/spoiler? wouldnt retract so we stayed pretty low all the way. When approaching landing, the hosties strapped in, and one was using a rosary, and constantly crossing herself. The landing was very hairy!
The applause was so tumultuous that the pilot came out and took a bow

seacue
11th Oct 2006, 17:51
My only experiences with clapping pax have been French charters between Paris and holiday destinations.

Never seen it happen here in the USA.

nivsy
11th Oct 2006, 18:10
I just clap when i get through security at a USA airport without feeling like a criminal and most certainly when US Flight crews actually serve me with me a smile! Unusual these days.:*

anotherglassofwine
13th Oct 2006, 14:59
I was on a flight into Gran Canaria from Dub some years back on an EI operated flight. There were lots of young party people aboard in very jolly spirits until we hit some very heavy turb on finals. There were lots of gasps and numerous profanities as we hit the deck pretty hard, but in one piece! Every pax started to clap and cheer when we rolled to a stop. As I was down the back I met the captain at the front on my way to the bus. I said "that was a bit weird wasn't it!" (referring to the bumps!) , he replied in a cultured southside dublin accent; "Jaysus I know, first time I ever had someone applaud when I hit the runway like that!" . He had a heartly laugh then and disappeared back into the pointy end! :)

ps. Just edited my profile with PPL - a very proud moment!!

Globaliser
13th Oct 2006, 15:51
ps. Just edited my profile with PPL - a very proud moment!!Congratulations!

MNBluestater
13th Oct 2006, 17:55
. Non functioning seat belts was the most common, on the occasions when there were cabin crew (sometimes there were none) they just told you to tie the belt in a knot if the buckle wasn't there or didn't work. (http://.%20Non%20functioning%20seat%20belts%20was%20the%20most%20co mmon,%20on%20the%20occasions%20when%20there%20were%20cabin%2 0crew%20%28sometimes%20there%20were%20none%29%20they%20just% 20told%20you%20to%20tie%20the%20belt%20in%20a%20knot%20if%20 the%20buckle%20wasn%27t%20there%20or%20didn%27t%20work.)

Heck, I saw that happen in the min-nineties (97 to be exact), on a Tower Air flight (JFK-ORY) during their brief run at trying to be a regularly-scheduled airline.
Seatbelt of the guy next to me was installed backwards. On popping the cushion, we found that a pin was installed to prevent seatbelt from "deplaning" -- so we couldn't fix it. Called the FA over,

"It's your seat, sit in it"

Interestingly, the aircraft never got above FL220, and there was no applause on landing (but plenty of relief).

Voila, the buckle is on the top !!! And if you tighten a little, it will hold you in just fine...

That's what I assume you meant by "installed backwards" that the buckle faced down...this would not be a situation to keep an aircraft from taking off...

MNBluestater
13th Oct 2006, 18:01
My only experiences with clapping pax have been French charters between Paris and holiday destinations.

Never seen it happen here in the USA.

It happens on US flights on arrival in Las Vegas, people have a ton of dough to spend...not too happy when they get on the a/c on the way back home....:{:{

Blues&twos
14th Oct 2006, 20:27
Taking this to its other logical extreme, maybe as pax we should boo and throw rotten vegetables following delays, bumpy landings, blocked toilets etc etc.

:ok:

Marsh Hawk
15th Oct 2006, 02:53
It also happens upon arrival on a plane full of grateful vacationers to some warm tropical destination in Mid-January . :D

daniel3982
15th Oct 2006, 12:12
Ive only ever seen it twice, on Royal Brunei landing in BSB and on Wizz Air landing in Gdansk on an A320 95% full of polish

Al Fakhem
16th Oct 2006, 12:52
The ultimate sign of gratitude (and, conversely, the lack of airmanship) must be kissing the ground upon arrival. But then, the pope does fly Alitalia :D

big.al
17th Oct 2006, 16:21
After a 23hr 45min delay with Eurocypria MAN-LCA a few years back, everyone burst into applause (and tears of relief) on TAKE OFF....:D

Kolibear
18th Oct 2006, 11:49
anotherglassofwine - as a PPL, you will never, ever have anyone applaud one of your landings.

But congratulations anyway, now you start learning :)

anotherglassofwine
18th Oct 2006, 16:06
Kolibear - hehe :ok: I'd have to agree - maybe you've seen a few of my recent landings! ... does applauding myself count? ;)

flyboy2k4
18th Oct 2006, 16:39
I fly a corporate airplane for a software company, my cargo is usually the "big shot" owners. About 2 months ago coming back from Houston, my "know-it-all" owner is telling me that he's never gone this slow on final before. I guess he got the term "final" from a book because he's NOT a pilot. Anyway after explaining to him while trying to keep my hand-flown, stable approach, why we were going so "slow" is because our airplane doesn't go faster unless you want a bad landing. I stuck a phenomial landing and he started clapping. He is "a self taught aviation expert" and "as many times that he's flown he'd never had a better landing." So M... Thank you for the comment but don't critque the approach because it obviously worked out great.