PDA

View Full Version : What is a pilot's potential salary?

cheesycol
18th Oct 2004, 11:35
Hi Folks,

I'm putting together a business plan for the HSBC Professional Studies Loan. I am keen to put in an expected starting salary, but am not entirely sure what that is. Obviously there is a basic salary, but it seems with extra payment for each hour flown. Does this system apply to the majority of airlines? If I should be lucky enough to get a position with an airline post-training what would be a ball-park annual gross figure for my first year or two?

Note that I do not intend to (cannot!) pay for a type rating

Many thanks.

Megaton
18th Oct 2004, 11:43
You can find most of the answers to your questions here: www.ppjn.com

Assuming that you will probably start work for a TP operator salaries vary from £14000 (eek!) with Emerald (http://www.ppjn.com/temeraldairways.html) to £24,336 with flybe (http://www.ppjn.com/tflybe.html). This is not an exhaustive examination of F/O salaries and doesn't include sector or duty pay. For examply, with flybe, I believe you can reasonably expct to earn a further £4000 on top of your basic pay. The business case doesn't work particularly well until you either get a jet job or command. You may be lucky enough to land a 737 F/O job in which case you might be earning £38,950 with BMI Baby (http://www.ppjn.com/jbmibaby.html).

Hope this helps. Remember that the bank has (or should have) a responsibility not to lend you more than you can reasonably expect to repay. Good luck.

PA-28 CLOUD SURFER
10th Jan 2005, 23:40
I am looking to apply to a job advertised on flight international website. On the website it is asking for a CV and covering letter plus my expected salary.

The question I put to all you fellow ppruners is, should you ask for more hoping they will pay it or maybe less hoping it will help you get the job but then they will probably pay you what you asked for and you would be kicking yourself thinking you should have asked for more or an approximate average from other jobs we have all seen advertised? (Right now any money would be a bonus!)

Also I find it hard to answer this question not knowing what the conditions of employment are. Are they like Ryanair where you pay for everything but they pay you a higher salary to cover these expenses? (Please no ryanair bashing here....different thread) Or do they put you up in hotels when you travel and pay for your travel expenses. Surely these would have a large effect on the end salary you would be hoping for.

Hmmmm.......... any thoughts please,

thanks

surfer

scroggs
12th Jan 2005, 09:25
You don't say what type of job it is you're applying for. However, in my experience companies that expect you to tell them what remuneration you're looking for are looking to fill individually-contracted posts with people who have a fairly well-honed appreciation of their own value in the market place.

If the job is for a pilot's position, then you need to know what the average salary and benefits are for a pilot of your experience on their type of aircraft in their part of the world. A study of PPJN will give you a feel for the going rates, but may not tell you about things like health insurance, loss of licence insurance, critical illness cover, staff travel, schooling, housing and other things, all or any of which may tip the balance one way or the other. You have to decide what the minimum package you can accept would be, and pitch your aim somewhat higher than that. If you doubt they can accommodate you, are your aims too high, or are they trying to get someone on the cheap? Your call!

Scroggs

micia
12th Jan 2005, 13:25
I saw one of those job ads and it was for a 737 Captain position in the UK (as far as I remember). Sorry I don't remember the name of the company, wasn't Ryan or Channel Express though.

witchdoctor
12th Jan 2005, 13:34
Job is most likely with EAAC in Bournemouth as 737-200 FO (yes, the same EAAC who laid 500+ people off last year in a less than well-managed manner).

Bit of an outfit. Ask for as much as you can. No point working for this lot on the cheap.

south coast
12th Jan 2005, 18:47
i put down 25k to 35k.

was also unsure, but i think that somewhere in the middle is fair.

Flying Wild
7th Sep 2006, 09:57
Hello,

I'm looking for information on potential salary for pilots starting out in the industry.
I'm sure I've seen links to websites before, but I can't remember where they were in the forums.
Can anyone point me right?

Thanks

wg100

speedrestriction
7th Sep 2006, 10:06
A good place to start is PPJN (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/).

SR

WhiteEagle
7th Sep 2006, 15:18
Try www.pilotsjobsnetwork.com (http://www.pilotsjobsnetwork.com) hope this helps:)

Try

Keen2B
2nd Dec 2006, 14:54
I have tried searching but I am not getting anywhere, so can anyone out there enlighten me?

After what appears to be an absolute age, a lot of money after much heartache and sending lots of CVs you may be successful in landing a job as an airline pilot, but what are the rewards, what does a new cadet/FO get paid, which airlines pay the best and look after their pilots and which work you hard?

Craggenmore
2nd Dec 2006, 15:18
www.ppjn.com

Hours of fun......

It seems that new-joiner UK FO's on the A320 family and 737 fleets get a similiar 33k-37k plus a further 5k-7k for sector/flight pay; Call it 40k-45k

MIKECR
2nd Dec 2006, 15:40
The bigger the aeroplane, the further you fly, the more money you get! As a new FO on a TP, probably 18-22k would be there or there abouts. A new FO on a jet, you'd get a bit more.

LKMflyboy
2nd Dec 2006, 16:03
F/O on a jet with a regional airline should pay £28-35k...
If you can get into a charter outfit flying 757s you could be looking at £45k+, but this often depends on the experience you have on joining and whether you're bonded for a type rating or taking a reduced salary to pay for it!
Remember that a lot of airlines pay duty and/or sector pay on top of your salary and this can add a couple of thousand or more depending on the deal...

Good luck!

LKM

Jinkster
2nd Dec 2006, 22:55
keen2b,

how many hours do you have?

when did you last fly?

is everything current?

Keen2B
2nd Dec 2006, 23:17
All,

Thanks for comng back to me. I am still in the very early stages of planning on starting my training, well career change actually. I have been using this site to learn as much as I can before I throw caution to the wind!!

This is an excellent site well done to everyone who post messages and replies.:D

K2B

Pilot Pete
3rd Dec 2006, 12:47
Don't just look at starting salaries, look at packages and future career earnings potential too. It might help to soften the blow a little when you look at how much the training is going to cost and compare it to the starting wage of a brand new turbo-prop F/O..... :(

PP

oby
7th Jan 2007, 12:14
okies - for the mods, this post may be better off in the wannabees section....

i'm thinking of retraining to take up a position as a flyer.....exact type of flying tba, but my main question is about the £££'s.

I'm 32 (dont start the agism banter) PPL in a very sucessful city job, but frankly it bores my silly and i'd gladly jack in all in.

but with a big mortgage, family planned etc, can someone give me a basic heads up on the range of salaries etc.

any references are gladly appreciated.

ta muchly

Spencer Craze
7th Jan 2007, 18:13
Get PILOT mag for Nov 2006 it gives a concise run through of Public Transport Salaries. Ranges from £20,000 through to £140,000ish. But remember you will have to finance your own frozen ATPL maybe buy a type then get a job, this lot could easily be £80,000 and take up to 24 months. You will also need a provision to keep your family while training, an expensive business but with at least 25 yrs of work ahead of you well worth it. Go for it .Good Luck...!

FCS Explorer
7th Jan 2007, 22:30
sorry, can't help ya with the money question. but be aware: a well paid pilot job will most likely be found on one of the larger aircrafts. and those have a tendency to fly straight ahead for hours and hours and hours. and then you will be BORED AGAIN.

MIKECR
8th Jan 2007, 18:21
18 - 20k as a Turbo Prop FO. 40K for your fATPL if you go modular, 60 - 70k if you go integrated. 25k for a TR, if you feel the need to get one.

MIKECR
8th Jan 2007, 18:24
Oh and try www.ppjn.com for some more accurate salaries

no sponsor
9th Jan 2007, 15:00
I changed careers. My starting salary on a 737 is around £32k, plus they pay me back my TR bond over 3 years, so it looks like a salary of £38k. (If you forget you forked out for the TR!)

Guys who were on my TR course are mostly from TP operators, such as Flybe and Eastern, and their pay ranged from £18k-25k. The EZY folks who were with me at CTC all came from TPs and Air Taxi companies too, with similar salary levels, although some were captains with the likes of Aer Arran and Air Alantique and were on £40K+.

If you are lucky, you won't have to pay for a TR, but only a few operators, such as BA/BMI seem to do this, and you have to go to an integrated school to get an interview with those companies. But saying that, BA starting cadet salary is pretty bad compared to jet operators elsewhere.

I paid considerably more than £40k for my modular training.

Now that CTC have lifted their daft age restriction, I would recommend everybody to have a go with them first, if not for their ab-initio training, then certainly for their AQC - when it re-opens!

Lucifer
9th Jan 2007, 16:03
flyBE: http://www.nextgenerationairline.com/pdf/flight_crew_pay_structure5.pdf

blueplume
9th Jan 2007, 16:10
Zero to whatever you let yourself go for. Depends what you let them do with you and how much experience you have.

Some people will work for free and live on air.