PDA

View Full Version : P1 or PICUS

whiteangel
7th Sep 2006, 08:15
It's a rather academic question but never the less relevant and very few instructor colleagues can help me out with a clear and verifiable answer.

During line intro having already performed sim & base training and having the type entered into one's license, if one sits in the left hand seat with an instructor either on the right hand seat or jumpseat, does this constitute command time P1 or PICUS? :confused: The assumption is given that the pilot in the left hand seat is making the decisions as would be expected during a company line intro.

TIA
whiteangel

cavortingcheetah
7th Sep 2006, 09:06
:hmm:

The problem with this question lies in the word verifiable, does it not?

Reference to CAP 407. page iv. paras 7/8 will give quite satisfactory guidleines to the problem.

http://shop.pilotwarehouse.co.uk/product125023catno14023.html

Hope that helps.:)

whiteangel
7th Sep 2006, 09:13
Thanks cavortingcheetah for the reply.
I do not have access to the CAA logbook (CAP 407)and hence don't have access to page 7/8. What is the jist of the guidelines or can you pm/scan me a copy of the pages? Whatever is easiest.

thanks

cavortingcheetah
7th Sep 2006, 09:46
:)

When an aircraft carries two or more pilots as members of the operating crew one of them shall, before the flight commences, be designated by the operator of the aircraft as Commander....
A pilot flying as 'Pilot in command under supervision' shall enter flight time acquired in this manner in the 'Pilot in command' (P1) column and the P1(U/S) column. In each instance the Commander of the aircraft must certify the entry.

Where an aircraft is certified for operation by either a three pilot or two pilot plus flight engineer crew and the operator opts to fly the aircraft with three pilot the 'third' pilot, who must be properly rated on type, is designated 'Systems Panel Operator' (SPO).

Conclusion:?
On line training therefore, if in the left with LTC in right, one logs the lot as P1and P1(U/S) and gets the LTC, the operator's Commander, to certify the entry.
If the LTC is in the jump seat then he must be out of the loop and no P1(U/S) entry need be made.
Does that make sense? That's what I have always done, although I must admit that I've never bothered to get the LTC to certify the entries and no one has ever asked me about it.:)

whiteangel
7th Sep 2006, 10:08
Thanks cavortingcheetah! :ok:

That sounds fair enough. Every country seems to have a different spin on things not to mention the changes that occurred with the implementation of JAR.