PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 757-300 Transatlantic Ops

roman757nose
6th Sep 2006, 22:51
:rolleyes: of all the rumours from US high-school kids & speculators about Boeing 757-300 transatlantic operations on another website. I am launching a new thread here to see of after post-ETOPS approval of the NW fleet of B757-351 aircraft in 2005, we may eventually get to see an N-Reg example of this aircraft land in Europe.

Having studied Range-Payload possibilities for the 753 type specifically and noted that both NW (Northwest NWA) and CO (Continental COA) are looking to launch a limited number of new services in 2007 to destinations such as Glasgow and Belfast, I am hoping that we will see more Boeing 757-300s in Europe in the future. My objective in starting this thread is to find out if anybody can help out in providing any further information or alternatively dis-prove that eventually U S registered Boeing 757-300s will indeed be regularly used into Europe in the near future. Regards :) to All.

misd-agin
8th Sep 2006, 02:39
CO flies them to the Caribbean so they at least have life rafts in them. Don't know if they are ETOPS qual'd.

vapilot2004
8th Sep 2006, 03:15
COA flies 752s from EWR (Newark) to both GLA and BHX (Birmingham) daily or more. They do this themselves in a US registered aircraft - as well as within agreements with British Airways and BMI to name two.

Northwest has agreements with KLM for many transatlantics as well as Virgin. When flying this route themselves, I think that the A330s are used for this trip.

Not sure that either airline go over with the -300s. On a heavily loaded 753 with Pratts or even the fuel sipping Rollers it seems they wouldn't have the legs for it - particularly on the return. I await news to the contrary - I've been known to make a mistake (I once thought I was wrong) :}

AA operates the 752 from BOS to Manchester daily - these are not the BA partnered flights.

stilton
8th Sep 2006, 05:30
Some of our 753'S at Continental are ETOPS (the old ATA Aircraft) they also have a higher gross weight.

The original Continental specification models are not however and I do not think there are any plans to modify them.

Who knows though, I also would think the -300 would have a bit of a problem westbound even from Shannon though with winter winds.

ALLDAYDELI
8th Sep 2006, 08:29
Speaking to one of their GSAs recently, BMI has ceased use of the B752 (lsd from ICELANDAIR) on the North Atlantic route ex-MAN.

roman757nose
9th Sep 2006, 20:56
Thankyou very much - valuable insight gained so far & please keep the responses coming in. Had not thought about winter transatlantic wind patterns regarding / affecting ETOPS-approved twin engined airliner usage. Still remain interested in the possibilities though of RR or P&W engined Boeing 757-300 usage from the U. S. to Europe.

:) Friendliest Regards to you ALL :)

limey lad
10th Sep 2006, 15:06
VAPilot has it right about the P&W 757-300s. They just do not have the capability to do transatlantic with any viable payload, especially in the winter months. NWA 757-300s are etops certified and operate from the west coast of the USA to Honolulu, Maui and Kona. NWA's plans to operate 757s to Europe involve certifying a subfleet of 9-10 757-200s for etops, adding winglets to them and increasing their certified max take off weight substantially in order to make them viable for flights from such places as DUB/MAN to DTW year round. So, in a nutshell, I doubt very much that you will ever see NWA 757-300s over the Atlantic unless an aircraft substitution is required, and even then it would probably require a fuel stop in YYR/YQX or similar on a westbound leg.