PDA

View Full Version : Anyone spend anytime in Accra?

chandlers dad
6th Sep 2006, 22:41
I may have to go to Accra Ghana to pick up a bird shortly. Has anyone spent anytime there recently? I have flown through there years ago but never RON'ed there.

Where do the airline crews usually stay? Looking at hotels on the internet and there is not a large selection.

TIA,

CD

soggyboxers
7th Sep 2006, 08:34
Yes,
I've been there frequently during the last year to pick up or deliver helicopters. It depends how long you're going to be there and how much you want to spend.
If you want an international close to the airport with all amenities the Golden Tulip is good, but usually heavily booked. If you want to be in Oxford Street near good shops and restaurants I like a nice little 2* Hotel, the Penta, which is simple but clean and a suite will only set you back around $80. If you're around for a few days and want a hotel near the beach which has to be one of the best in this part of Africa, the La Palm Royal Beach Hotel is unbeatable with good staff, nice rooms, good amenities and good food. You can hire a taxi with a driver for around $50 per day to take you around. It's about 15 minutes into town.

surely not
7th Sep 2006, 10:57
Or if you want a business hotel, good rates, good food, nice pool and only a short taxi ride from the airport try the Cresta Royale at North Dzorwolu (sp?). Taxi fare is around 20,000 cedis which is around £1.15 each way.

Stayed there for a reasonable length of time last year and the staff were excellent.

SpootNICK
7th Sep 2006, 12:57
If your looking to save a few bucks, and want a hotel close to the airport, i recon you will be happy with the Airside Hotel. Its only a 2-star place, but you will pick up a bed and breakfast for about 80 bucks. Rooms are clean and its got DSTV. Restaurant is good too.

If youre not paying, then I would recommend you the Golden Tulip.

Ciao

SN

chandlers dad
7th Sep 2006, 13:25
Thanks everyone. For now dispatch has booked me into the Labadi Beach (Universal and Jeppesen both recommended it) and will see how it goes from there.

Anyone know how the internet access is in this area? Do any of the hotels have high speed or is it all dial up access?

For now I may be there a week or so but have been told to expect up to a months time there, so since the client is paying the bill not so worried about the cost and looking for something descent and safe.

Were the taxi rides descent and safe? Assume that they will take Euro's or $$ if I do not have time to get local funds?

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Sep 2006, 13:38
You might want to change a small amount at the airport to pay the taxi driver to the hotel. You can then change money either at the hotel (bad rate) or a bank (better rate).

FYI, the current exchange rate is 9612 Cedi to the US$ so don't let the unofficial airport exchange bureaus rip you off too much if you go that route.

soups
7th Sep 2006, 14:55
Yes,
I've been there frequently during the last year to pick up or deliver helicopters. It depends how long you're going to be there and how much you want to spend.
If you want an international close to the airport with all amenities the Golden Tulip is good, but usually heavily booked. If you want to be in Oxford Street near good shops and restaurants I like a nice little 2* Hotel, the Penta, which is simple but clean and a suite will only set you back around $80. If you're around for a few days and want a hotel near the beach which has to be one of the best in this part of Africa, the La Palm Royal Beach Hotel is unbeatable with good staff, nice rooms, good amenities and good food. You can hire a taxi with a driver for around $50 per day to take you around. It's about 15 minutes into town.
$50 per day???? WOW that driver will quit work for a whole month

Labadi is a good choice, you also have novotel(bang in the city centre) however its shabby,
Soon u will have the Hilton, Holiday Inn and Movempick

chandlers dad
7th Sep 2006, 14:56
Had planned on changing some funds but was worried that I would not have enough time to do so while transiting airplanes.

Now just found out that I am flying BA to London then down to Accra. Was doing KLM to AMS before and the connection times were tight. Now I have more time but may need it after hearing all the "fun" everyone is having at security points! Wonder how difficult it is with "transfer pax" at Heathrow now?

galaxy flyer
7th Sep 2006, 17:43
Soups:

How shabby is the Novotel ACC? Jepp booked us in there next week, but we could change, I suppose. Also, food--any good at the Novo? We are there only one night, as of this minute. I had also heard the Labadi Beach was THE place.

GF

soups
7th Sep 2006, 19:21
Soups:
How shabby is the Novotel ACC? Jepp booked us in there next week, but we could change, I suppose. Also, food--any good at the Novo? We are there only one night, as of this minute. I had also heard the Labadi Beach was THE place.
GF
Novotel is ok for one night. it's shaby compared to Golden tulip and labadi. i havent been there for 7years or so not sure if they changed anything there

anjouan
7th Sep 2006, 19:42
The Novotel's fine for a night. I try never to eat in hotels and Accra has loads of good restaurants. The Labadi's showing signs of wear now too; I prefer the La Palm Royal Beach Hotel.
$50 a day for an airconditioned car with a driver is a fair price, but you can run around in local taxis quite cheaply.

gen3
7th Sep 2006, 21:37
Ok, CD, Labadi is a 5 star hotel and so expensive. first, don't change too much cash at the airport cos it'll be a rip off. (USD$50 should give you about C460,000.00- C=Cedis at the airport bureau), more than enough to pay for the taxi ride to your hotel, then too, don't pay for the taxi with $$ or euros!. always try to negotiate and beat down the price...whatever is mentioned cos the drivers always try to rip you off anyways and any amount you can get off the 'original price' is a good bargain. try and play 'hard ball' with the drivers, i.e. if he won't reduce the price, tell him to forget it and that works wonders most of the time, as there are many empty taxis around waiting for their chance. if you are taking a taxi from the airport, for security's sake, its always adviseable to take a registered taxi, pretty expensive but safety is assured.

There are many eatries in Osu, not too far from Labadi hotel and you must try these out in the day time so you can see where you're going and get used to some landmarks. when you leave the hotel, you may be able to get a 'cheaper' taxi across the road from labadi into town. taxi's have yellow colours on the front and back of the vehicle and you can't miss them.

Taxi use:
Dropping - you (and your company) are the only pax in the vehicle. the driver takes you where you want to go and charges a fair price, negotiable.

Charter - the vehicle is 'yours' for the negotiated period. the guy at the wheel charges an hourly price (negotiable) and you pay up after your rounds are done based on how many hours you've spent with him.

I don't expect the hotel forex rates to be any better than the airport. the bank is the best place but otherwise, there are a lot of licensed forex bureaux scattered around. Osu's 'Oxford Street' alone has quite a few of these and also has about 5 banks, Barclays Bank, Ecobank, Stanchart,the Agric Dev Bank and National Investment Bank so pick your choice!

Good luck and enjoy your trip

:ok:gen3

Gouabafla
8th Sep 2006, 09:09
I've used ATM's in Osu and got a pretty good exchange rate - it was at least as good as the Forex were offering.

Creaser
11th Sep 2006, 11:11
Soggy Boxer, Im looking for a AS350 or simialr for filming job in St Loius in October.

Any ideas?

Creaser