PDA

View Full Version : Moving from the UK to Australia or NZ

ask26
5th Sep 2006, 18:24
Hi folks

I'm currently completing my f(ATPL) CPL/IR course in the UK and should be done within the next few months, thereafter getting hopefully a jet job in the UK.

However the plan is within my working career to find employment within Australia or New Zealand as I loved them when I spent a year there 2 years ago. Now I understand that the number of airlines in Aus/NZ isn't very large and competition is especially fierce, airlines will only consider residents and not sponsor a visa to someone from abroad.

I'm more interested in the technicalities of whether it is possible for a UK national to find work in Aus/NZ. I've looked at the immi.gov.au about working visas and note that you need 120pts for direct entry but being an airline pilot earns 60pts.

Therefore I'm not sure what options are available; for instance is it feasible to find work for one of the legacy carriers such a Cathay, Singapore who have bases in Australia and get residency that way or are there better means to do this.

Anyone who has any ideas or could help (perhaps pilots who have done this in the past) would be much appreciated.

haughtney1
5th Sep 2006, 18:58
Wouldn't we all mate.....................personally I think contracting in Asia, and living in NZ is just the ticket:ok:

Life boat
5th Sep 2006, 19:00
Hi ask26,

I do not live in Australia, anymore, but here is what I think I know...
(I could be wrong though)

I have just had a look at immi.gov.au, and it appears that no points are given to pilots. I know for a fact that probably less than a year ago you were awarded 60 points towards the total of 120 pt. required as skilled worker.

As far as I know, being employed by CX or SQ will not help you gain permanent residency in Australia. I think you will find that you need residency before you can be based in Australia.

This probably isn't much help, perhaps other can help you more.

I hope that I am wrong on both counts. Good luck....

Life boat

The Original Jetpipe
6th Sep 2006, 00:05
Hi Ask26,

Sadly you do not get 60 points for being a pilot! The process to obtain a Permant visa is a long road. (Can take upto 18 months)

I guess by your "name" you might be under 30? If so why not come to Oz on a working holiday visa?? You will be able to check the place out and look into obtaining sponsorship/contract work. Might be a nice break after all that study!!

PM if you require any more info.

The Original Jetpipe.

P.s The other option is to marry an Oz/Nz!!! and get a visa that way!!! :ok:

Woomera
6th Sep 2006, 01:01
Do you have a qualification other than your flying qualification? If you hold a "skills in demand" trade qualification and are prepared to live and work in regional or rural Australia you could be here inside six weeks, permanent residence within two years and dual citizenship in two to four years.

If your sole qualification is a commercial pilot license, you will find it exceedingly hard, if not an impossible path to gain residence in Australia. Don't know about New Zealand but I suspect a similar situation applies.

tinpis
6th Sep 2006, 01:26
If your sole qualification is a commercial pilot license, you will find it exceedingly hard, if not an impossible path to gain residence in Australia.

And feed yourself.

ask26
6th Sep 2006, 10:52
I have a MA/BA degree in Engineering but haven't as such worked after that in the Engineering area and so I don't think my points would apply in that case.

After the degree I did a post-grad in Education and worked as a Maths Teacher for 2 few years on a 'supply' basis, so again I'm not sure that points would be included sufficient.

I was in Australia on a working holiday visa a few years ago, I know that you can now have a second one but as I'm going to try and begin accumulating jet hours I wouldn't be able to take up that option. Also I doubt with all the people over there trying to find a job that a fresh CPL/IR student needing complex paperwork/sponsorship is going to be considered ahead of a local.

Ideally I would at some distant time want to work for the Flying Doctor service but after a career within the airline industry. It appears a very worthwhile thing and you also get to see a lot of the remote outback.

Having looked at CX website, it seems that if you become a SO with them you have to live in HK but that upon promotion to FO you have a choice of base, if in that case I chose Australia would that be a way in of accumulating residency?

neville_nobody
7th Sep 2006, 02:54
Firstly to fly anything above 5700kg in this country you will need 500ME command. So don't expect to fly in the UK for a few years as a FO then come here and find jobs, they won't even take your resume at any level. I have known of Aussies who have flown jets in the UK and come back without 500 ME command and people won't even look at them. Also if you want a career in the RFDS they will want to see "recent experience in remote area operations" which flying a 737 around from major city to major city via the ILS will not give you. If you want to work for the doctors then go to Australia and try and get a charter job in the bush and work your way up, if you want to work for airlines stick to what you are doing wait till you get a command then apply for a Visa. If you get 500-1000 hours command of a jet you'll have no problems finding Airline jobs around here.

haughtney1
7th Sep 2006, 17:14
Thread creep but.....

Firstly to fly anything above 5700kg in this country you will need 500ME command. So don't expect to fly in the UK for a few years as a FO then come here and find jobs, they won't even take your resume at any level. I have known of Aussies who have flown jets in the UK and come back without 500 ME command and people won't even look at them.

Indicative of some of the out of date working practises currently considered acceptable in Oz ..........runnnnnnnnnnnnssssssssss:E