PDA

View Full Version : GAM Commander

gassed budgie
5th Sep 2006, 15:47
One of GAM's Commanders sighted at MEN late last week with some nasty and unusual nicks/gashes on the props. It evidentally flew all the way back to MEN from MIA via HSM with this damage and a bent blade. We couldn't work out how this had happened as there didn't appear to be any other damage to the airframe. Anyone got any clues?
.........and whoever was flying the Commander out of HSM for MIA yesterday (tues) morning, you really should know better than that.

captain_cranky
6th Sep 2006, 10:52
Did you check the marks on its belly too?:eek:
Same one that got 'gutsed' at Gayndah in QLD I believe.
Ask Mainframe. He knows all about it.:D

Fourotwo
7th Sep 2006, 05:32
That is a pretty big accusation, if by that you are implying that pilot flew a unfit aircraft that is a pretty big call. As far as I remember they fly the bigger Shrikes (grand commanders) to MIA via HSM, and the more experienced drivers fly the bigger ones.
From what I here they are pretty good at maintainence, and the company dosnt pull dodgy stuff.

I am interested, if you saw it damaged at HSM or MIA, and then saw it still unrepaired at EN. Where they park up is not accessible by the taxiway to the terminal.

Either you were doing some nice snooping or you just assume that since the aircraft was at EN it hadn't been repaired prior to returning to EN.
:cool:

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
7th Sep 2006, 06:15
What the hell is a "Grand Commander" ?. 680, 690 ?

404 Titan
7th Sep 2006, 07:54
JetA_OK

Yeah what use to go on in that company would make the mind boggle? Pilots being told to falsify their log books, defects not written up in MR, time ex components left on aircraft and as you have already eluded to aircraft going from YBCS to YMEN and vv but no hours showing in the MR. If it wasn’t for the fact they borrowed someone else’s AOC after CASA closed them down and the rules changed forbidding this, they wouldn’t be around today. Let’s just hope the leopard has changed its spots. By the sounds of it though I doubt it.:yuk:

gassed budgie
7th Sep 2006, 14:34
if by that you are implying that pilot flew a unfit aircraft that is a pretty big call

The pilot flew the aircraft back to MEN with the damage to the prop/s. From what I understand the company was not aware of any damage to the aircraft until it turned up back at MEN.
I did not see the aircraft in the flesh but saw some pics of it taken at MEN. The damage to the prop was substantial and I for one, would not have flown the aircraft under any circumstance.
There was no other damage to the airframe and no reported or observed incidents at MEN, MIA or HSM (so I'm told), so how and where did it happen ?

Aussie Freight Dog
8th Sep 2006, 01:33
Let’s just hope the leopard has changed its spots. By the sounds of it though I doubt it.
Although I dont work for GAM anymore I can assure you that ferrying aircraft without logging it in the MR, pilots told to falsify their log books and all the other stuff you mention does not happen. I am not saying that in the old days it did not happen on occasions but during my time with GAM it did not.
In my opinion you will struggle to find any better GA company!;)

Capt Fathom
8th Sep 2006, 04:25
What the hell is a "Grand Commander" ?. 680, 690 ?
Grand Commander = 680 FL

404 Titan
8th Sep 2006, 04:50
Aussie Freight Dog

For all those that currently fly for GAM I hope you are right. All GAM’s past indiscretions are well documented by CASA and the courts and were a lot more frequent than you may realise or like to acknowledge, particularly out of Cairns. I wouldn’t call less than eight years ago “the old days” either. I would call it GAM’s very recent past. The only thing that is old is the AOC all these indiscretions occurred on.

Counter-rotation
8th Sep 2006, 07:23
Not too interested in who's company is better than who's, but can I ask has anyone got any more information on what actually occured, be it rumour or otherwise?
Gassed Budgie, would you care to share the pics you have?
CR.

rearwhelsteer888
9th Sep 2006, 06:03
I've worked for this company and they have good and bad points!
Ive never heard of anyone being asked to falsify their log books, (as if you'd listen to anyone that told you to do that anyway)
but one thing for sure is that they are flown around nearly daily unservicable.
take my word for it!

How in the hell can a australia wide freight company have thirty odd commanders all up and down the eastern seaboard and only maintain or rectify faults in cairns and melbourne.

I can assure you they dont easily fly a shrike with an engineer to another state to fix a unservicable aircraft.
This outfit also very rarely if ever have a non GAM engineer work on an aircraft. I was there for nearly three years and only saw it once.
They much prefer to have a pilot with a very basic tool box being told over the phone.
How the f@#$ would I know how to back flow a fuel seperator in the middle of the night before I takeoff into the abyss.
It's bloody rubbish and it still happens.

With out a doubt I had some of the best ever flying experience with this company , challenging and a whole heap of fun, but I would have been ten times better if it was run properly someone who knew how to fly.

I dont know what goes on in cairns but as far as the southern section goes If you are planning to work for this mob be ready to stand your ground because they will take a mile.

Ultimately I left with a very sour taste in my mouth.
and for god sake dont anyone mention that they pay the award, because the casual pilots in GAM dont by any stretch of the imagination. and as for the full timers , so they bloody well should.

:= :E

RWS888

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
9th Sep 2006, 06:50
Did the aircraft have a ladder in it, is it still there, is the refueller missing a ladder now ?

TurboOtter
10th Sep 2006, 10:29
out of interest what do they pay casual and permanent pilots?

Do they ferry aircraft to Mel and CNS for all maintenance? I can't see that being viable

bushy
11th Sep 2006, 00:40
Is this the outfit that does 100 hourly inspections on the tarmac at Ayers Rock?
l

gassed budgie
11th Sep 2006, 07:41
CR I don't have the pics in my possession but have seen them. There were no refuelling incidents and nothing else seen at HSM or MIA. Must have happened somewhere else along the way. Trouble is they don't stop anywhere else along the way.
I might point out that the thread was not intended as a criteque on GAM or its operations. From what I understand and have observed they run a pretty tight ship, everything above board.