View Full Version : EIA Pilots and ALPA

Zoner
5th Sep 2006, 01:50
http://204.200.26.244/news/story.cfm?story_no=212264

Evergreen's pilots reach high for help

Published: September 2, 2006

By DAVID BATES
Of the News-Register

The McMinnville-based union representing Evergreen International Aviation's more than 200 pilots and flight engineers announced Friday an alliance with one of the largest unions in the country in a continued effort to negotiate a new contract with the company.

Evergreen's flight employees, who created The Aviators Group six years ago to represent their interests, have been without a contract since Dec. 31, 2004. They officially entered federal mediation with the company in February.

The two sides are trying to negotiate pay and benefits. The employees say they are seeking to avoid salary caps and achieve pay commensurate with the rest of the air cargo industry.

The Aviators Group announced Friday a service agreement with Air Line Pilots Association International, which represents 61,000 pilots from 40 different airlines in the United States and Canada. It said the two had agreed to join forces in the negotiations, but said their collaboration did not represent a full, formal affiliation.

Under the agreement, ALPA will provide economic and financial analysis and communications support to the local association.

"With this agreement, we will have access to the expertise and resources from ALPA that will help us to attain a satisfactory contract," Aviators Group President William Fink said in a prepared statement. "Evergreen pilots deserve a contract that recognizes their value to the airline, and with ALPA's support, we hope to achieve that."

Evergreen did not return a message Friday seeking comment. That is in keeping with a longstanding company policy of not commenting on any aspect of labor negotiations.

But Capt. Duane Woerth, ALPA's president, echoed Fink's assessment.

"ALPA and TAG share mutual objectives: to protect airline pilots' rights and privileges and advance their collective interests through contract negotiations," he said. "We look forward to providing Evergreen pilots the research, information and communications support that has benefited pilot groups around the world."

Union representatives have accused Evergreen of proposing to cut pilot pay by as much as $3,000 a month. Their members took particular offense, they said, when company founder Del Smith received a nearly $3 million bonus the year their contract expired without any immediate prospect of a replacement.

Evergreen's pilots operate a fleet of Boeing 747Fs, specializing in worldwide charter and contract freighter operations.

400drvr
18th Sep 2006, 23:26
Zoner,
I hate to burst your bubble but if it's help your looking for from ALPA don't plan on it. Unless your pilot group is large, like UAL or DAL, your just a small fish in in a very big pond. Speaking of UAL and DAL look what ALPA has done for them, cba's trashed and retirement programs destroyed. The one thing they are good at is spending your money. Dues and assesments will eat up to over 300 a month, maybe more depending on how much help you need from the leagal department.
I have been an ALPA member for 7 years and have watched my career disapear and I have had to seek employment else where.
Good luck to you at the Zone, I know what your up against but I am not sure of what ALPA can do for you.
Ex-zoner:ugh: