PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning!

F'Wx
5th Sep 2006, 01:02
Well, ive been browsing through PPrune for some time now.... Whilst i never actually made Aircrew, i worked in Sqn Operations for over 6 years in the RAF, XV(R), 12(B), 617, 18(B)... Recently left the RAF and have joined up with MK Airlines.. Just thought id congratulate some of you with your wit, and excellent humour, it reminds me of my days sat behind the Ops Desk, listening to the stories from the crew walking in... Never a dull moment!

Id hate to think what the days in Basrah, Jordan with 18(B), cold and wet Newfoundland with 12(B) would have been like without some of the characters that make the squadrons what they are nowadays.. Just seems a shame that the Forces sem to be going in the direction it is at present....

But wait, im sure JPA will sort it out ;)

Also the good old weekends of playing cricket with them, when they were 'normal' for a day.. When you call them anything apart from 'Sir'..
Stan Bordman, JB, Andy Coe, Colin McGregor, the list is endless, all people i very much looked up to when i was based at Lossiemouth as a youngster, the last thing i knew Andy Coe was a dad, JB was at ODI with the Chinooks as a bunster, and no idea about Stan...
Very enjoyable times :) Just a shame it didnt carry on that way... And the lean process got their hands on certain places

clicker
5th Sep 2006, 02:09
F'Wx

Totally agree with you there. Never made the services myself due to eyesight problems but the stories etc on this forum often make me laugh.

Pity I missed out as I would have joined up in the late 60's into what I believe was the best time the RAF had since WWII, serious but also full of humor. I envy the likes of BEagle, Pontius Navigator and their friends with the Vulcans, F4's and other aircraft of the time. So for me lots of :{ and no :E

Also one day I'll find out why Beagle has his nickname like that :ok:

clicker

BEagle
5th Sep 2006, 06:54
'twas the exceptional F4 QWI Navigator, Dave Bennett, who first came up with it. On the paperwork attached to the radar film it said 'BE+QWIN'. "What this?", I asked.....

"BE - Bald Eagle", he replied.

I guess Dave must have retired a while ago - but a better, more conscientious mentor to a novice convexee you would be unlikely ever to know.

clicker
5th Sep 2006, 18:07
'twas the exceptional F4 QWI Navigator, Dave Bennett, who first came up with it. On the paperwork attached to the radar film it said 'BE+QWIN'. "What this?", I asked.....
"BE - Bald Eagle", he replied.
I guess Dave must have retired a while ago - but a better, more conscientious mentor to a novice convexee you would be unlikely ever to know.

Nice one, thanks BEagle.

Mines quite simple, when I was at Gatwick I used to carry the camera around a lot until the brownshirts got hacked off and I received a warning from them. The BAA told me only the official photographer was allowed to have a camera airside. But did manage the odd shot or two until they started searching staff as well.