PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Cadetship

Steve Rath
5th Sep 2006, 00:37
I am looking for airlines which offer cadetships in Australia, preferably on the east coast. If anyone can help me out with information or even airline names it would be great.

Steve

Keg
5th Sep 2006, 00:44
Qantas is about it as far as the majors are concerned. Applications close on 15 September.

Try here! (http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/employment/pilots)

Icarus53
5th Sep 2006, 04:26
There are several schools around Australia that run cadet programmes for various airlines. QF run theirs at GFS in Melbourne and FTA in Adelaide. FTA also train for Cathay, China Airlines and Emirates (among others). Last I heard Malaysian were having cadets trained at Bankstown, and Sinagapore are training in Perth.

The main thing is that most airlines require you to be a citizen or have permanent residency before you can apply for a cadetship. Also, QF are the only airline to my knowledge where the cadets fund the course themselves, while most other airlines sponsor the training.

:ok:

namate
5th Sep 2006, 04:47
Mackair run one as far as i know....used to be called Macflite Training and is now called Jetflite.

www.jetflite.com.au (site is down atm)

From the website: "The new jetFlite website will be up and running shortly!"

Horatio Leafblower
5th Sep 2006, 10:08
Namate,

What is the general feeling about the McAir cadetship program? One of my studes recently "won" a slot on the program but it strikes me as paying $30k too much for your commercial and getting a one-year $25k job in return. :confused: :ugh:

roger_ramjet
6th Sep 2006, 05:40
Horatio,
The general feeling about the McFlite program varies across the industry - as you would expect there are a few people that think it is close to impossible to put someone in a Metro with a shiny new CPL and MECIR and expect them to figure it out. Others think it is pointless getting FO time before you've got a decent chuck of command time. However, if you think of it simply as 12 months experience building before you jump into the lefthand seat it doesn't seem like a bad option. The training, as far as I'm aware, is at a very high standard (as it should be) and is focused on flying a Metro right from day one, not just to create a generic CPL and IR (and pay for the instructors that just got theirs the week before). I know a few of the graduates and most have gone on to single or multi turbine jobs after they finish 12 months with Mcair or Skippies in the west (mostly through the contacts they make whilst working as a FO). I'd say for what you get the price isn't unreasonable, particularly with the cost of aircraft hours these days. BTW - the Metro job is at award rates, not $25k.
Pprune being the way it is you'll get a few other opinions I'm sure but for my two cents, don't dismiss it too easily.