PDA

View Full Version : Security queues at Gatwick?

FlyingV
4th Sep 2006, 21:46
Making my first trip to the UK tomorrow since the latest security measures. What's Gatwick like in the evening? I'm returning on the 20:55 FR to Dublin. I'm checked in already and have hand luggage that confirms to requirements. Is there a big queue to get airside? Should I arrive much earlier than usual?

Thanks.

McHover
4th Sep 2006, 22:22
I left LGW North on Saturday morning. Enormous queues for security (with FastTrak closed) compounded by the baggage handling system going tech.

Ugly.

Arrive early. :hmm:

McH

Two_Squirrels
5th Sep 2006, 09:43
I had a lunchtime transatlantic flight from Gatwick north 2 weeks ago, and the queues were very long at 9am, but moved reasonably quickly (about an hour). However, I stayed in the Hilton Gatwick the night before, and had a wander round the terminal between about 8 and 9pm, and it was empty, with no queues at all for security. I would still turn up early, but be prepared for a pleasant surprise when you turn up (i.e. bring a book to read in departures!).

skydriller
5th Sep 2006, 11:59
the queues were very long at 9am, but moved reasonably quickly (about an hour)

Does anyone else think it is a sad reflection on the state of the airline industry in the UK and our general expectations of air travel today, that a one hour queue for security is considered quick?

Sorry, off topic perhaps,

Regards, SD

FlyingV
5th Sep 2006, 23:08
I would still turn up early, but be prepared for a pleasant surprise when you turn up (i.e. bring a book to read in departures!).

You were spot on there! About 3 minutes to clear security at 7pm and I'd recommend Freakonomics as an excellent read :)

As an aside, Ryanair are now boarding those who checked in online along with the kids and oldies! Nice to avoid the horrendous queues at the gates.