PDA

View Full Version : JAA CPL validity in Australia

Ben290
4th Sep 2006, 17:34
Hi guys,

I wondering if a JAR-CPL is valid to fly in Australia or if I need to convert it to a CASA license.

This is in order to get a job as bush pilot on C210. Seems to be a very plaisant job where you can build a lot of hours.:ok:

redsnail
4th Sep 2006, 17:48
You'll have to do a conversion. Have a look at the CASA website (civil aviation safety authority) and the details should be in there. It isn't hard nor impossible.

As one who spent a few years bush/scenic flying in the Kimberley it is a great way to build hours. However, it's not the easiest of jobs but it's fun. Depending on where you end up you'll be doing a lot more than flying the aeroplane.

A year's worth of bush flying will leave you with a log book chock full of interesting hours and a life time's worth of stories and mates.

Ben290
4th Sep 2006, 18:15
Thk redsnail,

normaly, will be based at Jabiru for scenic/charter flight above Kakadu national park.

Can you tell me what does the salary looks like?:confused:

redsnail
4th Sep 2006, 23:46
No idea I'm afraid. I didn't work out of there and haven't been "up north" for a few years now.

If you're lucky, the wage should cover rent and beer. :ok: (although, not the expensive Belgian stuff)

spini
5th Sep 2006, 00:56
Ben290 have a look at this link http://casa.gov.au/fcl/download/cpl_requirements.pdf.
As someone who has gone the other way like Redsnail and converted an Aus ATPL to UK/JAA ATPL, I can assure you that it is about 1000% easier to convert a UK/JAA CPL to an Australian CPL. More importantly, it is about 2000% less expensive (slight exageration, but you get what I mean).

The salary, if you can call it that, won't be good. As Redsnail has indicated, it might just cover accommadation and beer if you are lucky. On the other hand, the experiences you will have flying in Northern Australia money can't buy. I enjoyed my first two years doing Kalumbarus and Balgos (just like Redo) more than anyday at FL410 over Europe. The difference is the salary and inflights are alot better now! Like everything, it has a use by date, and I for one, don't want to go back flying that Ord Air Baron or 206 to Ombi ever again.

Have fun and g'day Redsnail