PDA

View Full Version : Help: Looking for a routing from NCL/MME/EDI to MAD

masalaairlines
4th Sep 2006, 15:12
I am based between NCL and MME and need to fly (cheeply) to Madrid to see the Mrs. very often (and vice versa). For the life of me we can't find a decent routing without wasting almost a whole day for travel. Options so far are EZ via BRS or surface to LPL and EZ from there to MAD.

BA is an option via LHR but is also a bad connect and often pricey, and generally unless I am paid to I avoid LHR like the plague. I have investigated flights via other Spanish airports such as BCN/AGP/ALC but none are that great. In any case I am a risk taker, so am happy with 2 LOCO sectors with a couple of hours between.

I am now considering EDI, as I can get up there on the train in 1hr 25mins. I think FlyGlobespan used to do EDI-MAD but then they stopped! (Why?). Anyone know of any other routes from EDI or news in the pipeline? How is the BA Connect EDI-MAD sector? It touches down somewhere, and so is slow. Anyone know where?

Would really value anyones opinions, tips, info etc. Thanks in advance.

p.s. Heard EZ are starting the new MAD base. Anybody heard rumours of further UK routes? I have heard many domestic inc. Tenerife, Lanzarote, Asturias & Bilbao.

toledoashley
4th Sep 2006, 15:22
Ryanair via DUB
KLM via AMS
EasyJet to AMS / Vueling to MAD

Help?

GoEDI
4th Sep 2006, 15:27
The BACON service from EDI stops at BHX, not sure for how long but I wouldn't have thought it would be particularly long.
GSM to MAD never got off the ground.
IB were expected to start daily MAD-EDI this summer as they had slots for the route but it never happened for whatever reason so I wouldn't hold out for that just now.

masalaairlines
4th Sep 2006, 15:45
Thanks everyone so far. GoEDI, the BACON route from EDI to MAD is 08:30 Dep for a 14:05 Arrival. There is a 1hr time difference, but that's still 4.5hrs!!

Toledoashley. I like the AMS options. Thanks.

Yes..I have considered the FR via DUB options. I am actually booked on the opening flight, though it forces an overnight at DUB.

Globaliser
4th Sep 2006, 16:30
Thanks everyone so far. GoEDI, the BACON route from EDI to MAD is 08:30 Dep for a 14:05 Arrival. There is a 1hr time difference, but that's still 4.5hrs!!From gut feeling, it's difficult to think how any flight, other than a non-stop, is going to be less than that sort of time overall.

masalaairlines
4th Sep 2006, 17:17
From gut feeling, it's difficult to think how any flight, other than a non-stop, is going to be less than that sort of time overall.
True yes... That is the sort of timescale I am looking at anyhow. It just seems like quite a long layover at BHX. With that sort of length of flight from EDI, it would not be worthwhile going to EDI as I require surface first, and could just do surface to BHX.

Thanks again.

longarm
5th Sep 2006, 07:23
You could fly to Barcelona with easy from Newcasle. From Barcelona Iberia, Spanair and Vueling all fly to Madrid. All offer multple daily services so a flight normally leaves every few minutes between the two cities.

masalaairlines
5th Sep 2006, 15:09
Maybe EZ will also take on the BCN-MAD route.

Thanks Longarm... I have looked at that routing too, but the time of the EZ flight out of Newcastle is always pretty bad for a weekend trip.. None the less it is an option.

nivsy
10th Sep 2006, 15:21
Spanish domestic fares (Iberia and Spanair) can be quite expensive. Noticably the very early departures and the red eye late night flights are cheaper. I am sure the stop over in BHX is an hour because it means there is a change of aircraft? I am sure that it is a normal domestic flight to BHX from EDI and then you need to transit to international deparures and have to go through further security etc. Most likely KLM via AMS or Lufthansa via FRA would be the best for routing to MAD from EDI.

Nivsy

daz211
10th Sep 2006, 18:18
I would not recomend any EZY domestic flight
they seem to canx most of them

SXB
10th Sep 2006, 19:17
Daz
I would not recomend any EZY domestic flight
they seem to canx most of them

Can you back up that statement with some hard facts please ? 100% of your posts of this website seem to be singing the praises of Ryan Air while criticising all of their competitors. If I were cynical (which I'm not of course) I'd say that you're an Ryan Air employee. Maybe you'd care to set the record straight ?

daz211
10th Sep 2006, 21:00
I have to say that I am a lover of locos
that inc EZY RYR GSM AB and the others

my point re EZY above is valid because

in the last 24HRS they have canx the following flights
from stansted alone and someone from BRS has made the same comments

EDIX2 GLAX2 MUC AMS CPH NCE BIO NCL LEI AND BFS

canx flights happen daily across EZY networt ask anyone that
knows about EZY and they will say the same and we are not just talking
about 1 or 2 flights

Im sorry if my loco likeing affends you but I have now been warned
off suporting them as someone has complained I know who
but I stand by my what I say RE EZY canx even tho they are a loco

SXB
10th Sep 2006, 21:11
Daz

I certainly haven't 'reported' you. As far as I'm concerned this is a free forum and I respect your views and opinions even though they differ from my own.

Getting back to EZY do the cancellations you mention represent 'most' of EZY's domestic operation ?