PDA

View Full Version : What is your managemnt doing about the new DfT Security regulations @ LHR?

FLYGRA
3rd Sep 2006, 15:19
As a lot of you will be aware, the recently introduced DfT Security regs at LHR (and other UK Airports) place a considerable strain on us Cabin Crew with regards to personal toiletries that can(not) be carried into the aircraft cabin.
I fly for one of the major British Airlines and we are stuck between the Dft regulations and our management at the moment. When we depart LHR for a nightstop, we are unable to take any toiletries with us (shave gel, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo etc). We are not even allowed to hold-load these items onto the aircraft. So basically on each and every nightstop away from LHR we are having to either hope that our hotel can supply us with the basics, or purchase fresh items everytime... not easy when we often arrive into the European city late at night when shops are closed. We are often away from LHR for 2 consecutive nights (with an LHR transit in the middle) and have to source new toiletries for each night of the trip. It's getting costly! Our management tells us they are "looking into a solution" but we are still stuck even after all this time since the new regulations where introduced.
I'm hoping that some of you, from carriers such as AF, KL, LH, AZ etc that nightstop here at LHR might be able to tell me if your management has come-up with any practical working solutions allowing you to carry your toiletries back home when you leave LHR the next day. Or are you in the same situation as us and having to throw away everything before departing LHR?
This might help us to work something out with our management, who to be honest at the moment don't really seem to be that bothered about really getting a solution.
Same also applies to our Flight Deck Crew.
Thanks in advance for any info you might be able to give.
Gra.

Off Stand
3rd Sep 2006, 15:37
Hi Gra.

I (think!) work for the same airline as you, but from LGW. But my sister flies for bmi from LHR and she's just told me that they are allowed to hold load their toiletries when they go on a domestic or European nightstop. So, yet again it seems to be on rule for one and another rule for another!!!:ugh:

FLYGRA
3rd Sep 2006, 15:46
Hi Off Stand
Yeah by the sounds of it we're colleagues at the Big Airline :)
That's very interesting about BMI isn't it? Especially as it seems that our use of Airbuses is supposedly part of the problem with hold-loading. (Seems it would be OK on B737s as they are lower?). Now, let me think, what are BMI operating out of LHR these days .... oh yes, lovely blue Airbuses!
I think I'll be seeing the union tomorrow just in case they are not yet aware that yet again, BA Crews are getting the short straw while our managers fumble around and are currently more interested in new catering trials than sorting out this major issue.
Odd, I had a suspicion that other carriers might already have come-up with something ... which prompted my post in the first place.
Cheers

Off Stand
3rd Sep 2006, 16:25
We'll cpme up with something in time for T5!!! PM me with any pearls of wisdom you hear.