PDA

View Full Version : Facet Opal information?

flyvulcan
3rd Sep 2006, 13:43
Hi all,
Ultralight enthusiasts will probably recall Scott Winton's Facet Opel aircraft in which he climbed to over 30,000 ft on a Rotax 447.
Does anyone know where I could find the design information for this aircraft? Does it survive and is it held by the family or perhaps someone else? I think it would be a pretty cool aircraft to build.
Thanks

mingalababya
3rd Sep 2006, 14:09
Does anyone know where I could find the design information for this aircraft? Does it survive and is it held by the family or perhaps someone else? I think it would be a pretty cool aircraft to build.
Thanks
Check out the third post in this thread (http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2241&perpage=15&pagenumber=2). :ok:

flyvulcan
3rd Sep 2006, 18:36
Thanks M, fascinating thread!

Ultralights
4th Sep 2006, 08:40
the Opel was a great aircraft, i would love to see another one fly, though ading tail booms aka sadler vampire style would ruin the overall look of the aircraft, but with that fuse shape, wing profile, retract gear, it was a very quick machine! i have owned a Sapphire breifly, (sold it to buy a house) and talking to the now owner of sapphire aircraft, he was thinking of a twin boom sapphire to build on the Opal airframe.. if i ever get the time to get an engineering degree finished, i would loce to design a aircraft similar to the opel.