PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Take Care Of Yourself Being CC?

followyourdreams
2nd Sep 2006, 23:40
I was just wondering how you take care of your skin whilst being cc? Does it dry out as much as people say it does? I you use a rich moisturiser will this be enough or do you need to carry sprays to keep the hydration up?

Also, do you really get varicose veins, blocked ears etc whilst flying? I have worked years in pubs, restaurants etc which obviously entails standing up for long periods of time and never got varicose veins - so why is flying any different? Is is something to do with in a pressurised cabin????

Any feedback on how to take care of your body and skin etc would be great

eidah
3rd Sep 2006, 00:08
Hi there some advice I always drink pleanty of water as you do get dehydrated. Also you do find you become a bit deaf: I have been cabin crew for nearly 4 years now and I seem to have to get passengers to repeat things also I have the tv louder than most people at home..For skin to keep me refreshed I use facial spray its very good, and hand cream is an essential as well.
I dont really suffer from blocked ears or ear problems but I know of cc who have. You could try a nasal spray.
You can try support tights/socks to prevent varicose veins. Though cc tend to be on their feet alot and excercise helps.
You do have to realise that most cabin presure depending on a/c type is presurised to 8000ft roughly so thats like working at the height of a mountain so thats why you will probably find you are more tired than usually.
With the recirculated air you find your skin dries out but also in the first few months of being cc you will probably end up with a cold or fever due to dirty passengers and all there germs being passed to everyone in the cabin so you tend to get ill. However after a while your body gets use to this. Take lots of vitamin c supplements!

followyourdreams
3rd Sep 2006, 08:34
Thanks for the tips Eidah!

So on this monster of a forum, there is no one else out there that has any tips on how to take care of yourself as a cc???????????????

vodkaholic
3rd Sep 2006, 10:29
except at the moment with the ban on anything liquid, we are no longer allowed to take things on board such as facial sprays and moisturiser. is really annoying and i tihnk this is how it's going to be forever now.
so the only thing i do is just drink loads and loads of water while on board and as soon as i get home, slather on loads of moisturiser. i also drink lots of water and squash while not at work.
as for the varicose veins problem i wear support tights. they relaly help and if i ever have to do a flight without supporties on then i REALLY feel the difference!

Off Stand
3rd Sep 2006, 14:49
As has already been mentioned, plenty of water. But, be careful not to drink too much in a short period. This'll cause you to visit the loo more and thus make you dehydrated.

Basically, lead a fairly healthy life style. Eat properly, take your vitamins. I don't do the gym as it bores me, but many crew do.

When you're not flying, still drink plenty, keep that skin moisturised and you'll be just fine. It's worked for me for the last 6 years and my sister for the last 4.