PDA

View Full Version : Getting into the UK market

flash8
2nd Sep 2006, 14:18
Hi
First off I'm Scottish , and so don't need any work permits etc.

I have 1400 TT and am currently on the 737 Classic. wish to move to a UK based LCC.

ICAO CPL/IR (Transport Canada + FAA), mostly TP time on the Dash 8, thanks.

So, do I have to convert my licence to a JAA one? And is my TR valid?

I'm not so young anymore either... would that be a problem?

Thanks!

dartagnan
2nd Sep 2006, 17:24
yes, you need to convert. But you can obtain a temporary license, if you are very experimented.
Would be better to contact directly the CAA at gatwick and see with them what you have to do, these JAA license convertions are very expensive.

Sphinx
3rd Sep 2006, 10:29
My understanding is that you will need to convert your licence to JAA, but I'm not sure if you can get a temporary licence to allow you to continue earning in the meantime. It is also (or certainly used to be) very expensive (£15,000 rings a bell).

Why don't you try contacting the 737 LCC's directly - Ryanair and Globespan in the UK - Easyjet are getting rid of theirs. Air Berlin in Germany also. They may be able to advise you on whether or not you could work for them. As I understand it there may be a possibility of working for Ryanair in particular with an FAA licence.

Artificial Horizon
3rd Sep 2006, 11:06
You will have to complete the 14 JAR exams, Instrument Rating and I think the CPL flight tests with training as required. That is what I had to do to convert, however that was 5 years ago when conversion had not been considered in depth. Contact the CAA for all of the latest requirements and a logbook assesment, this is the only way to be sure. Good luck with the future job hunt.

Scottie
3rd Sep 2006, 13:16
Flash 8 come back to the UK as there are loads of jobs. Your classic 737 rating I assume is the -300/400 and 500? If so when you do convert it you should be rated for the NG as well automatically as it goes 300-900 series on your licence. This would be good for easyJet and Ryanair. Check out whether your 737 rating can be converted to a UK rating.

flash8
4th Sep 2006, 13:43
Guys, thanks for the positive responses, yes the 733 at the moment.
Do have a little initiative left, and am making approaches to the LCC's.

beamer
4th Sep 2006, 14:05
Plenty of better jobs than low cost carriers around at the moment if you have a decent background and a reasonable number of hours. I think that Scotland is still classed as part of the United Kingdom so you had better get used to it !

Canada Goose
4th Sep 2006, 15:56
flash8 ........ you've done well to be flying a 737 in Canada and still only have 1400TT !

Anyway, back to your query. A conversion if you have (I believe, as it wasn't applicable to me) more than, it was either 1500 or was 3000 hours of medium/heavy jet multi crew time, then the conversion is a straight forward paperwork filling out exercise.

If you don't have fullfil this requirement, then I'm afraid its the 14 exams, CPL flight test (no minimum hours required for this - discretion of FTO) and a MEP IR (minimum 15 hours training of which 10 can be in an FNPT II sim) and then of course pass the flight test for it !

So, a royal PITA I'm afraid, but perhaps with your experience worth it !

Good luck.
CG

potkettleblack
4th Sep 2006, 16:20
Try emailing Brookfield. Ryanair are desperately short of pilots and they have been recruiting for them. I remember reading somewhere that they might have swung temporary licences through the Irish Aviation Authority for quite a few guys from exotic places like Brazil etc. In the long term though it sounds like you will need the 14 exams and the other bits and pieces as stated above although you might get an easy fix in the short term depending on the IAA and if your hours are enough for Ryanair etc.

Jelly Doughnut
5th Sep 2006, 11:17
Get your ICAO license upgraded to ATPL before you do the conversion.

To convert an ATPL, you need to do all (14) exams and a checkride - on the aircraft you are rated on, and this can be done in the sim.

You need to meet all requirements for ATPL issue - check LASORS on the UK CAA website.

Brookfield Aviation might be able to help - at a cost. Not sure what the current "deal" is but you might be able to work on a 1-year validation, which will give you time to meet all the other requirements.

Good luck