PDA

View Full Version : Help please gents

northernmonkey
2nd Sep 2006, 12:31
I watched a documentary a while ago about a German Lufwaffe officer. I believe he was reasonably decorated in the war and went on to fly F-104s, F-4s and Finally the Tornado. I aslo vaguelly recall him altering Starfighter tactics reducing the losses etc

He was quite badly burnt but other than that the info is a little sketchy

Does anyone know this guys name or recall the name of the programme. If I can't remember his name I'm gong to lose £100 in a bet with my old man.

Please help chaps :D

SirToppamHat
2nd Sep 2006, 12:36
Gunther Rall? Sorry about the spelling. I will keep looking...

See here (http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/photoreports/guntherrall2003/)

STH

northernmonkey
2nd Sep 2006, 12:41
No mate thats not him, this guy has quite a disfigured face due to his burns.

I believe his son is currently serving as a boxhead Tornado driver.

BEagle
2nd Sep 2006, 12:46
The German pilot who was badly burned in a Me 262 take-off accident after a tyre failure was Johannes Steinhoff. He later rose to become Chief of Staff of the post-war Luftwaffe in the 1960s - and was also the chairman of a NATO military committee.

The F-104 chap you may be thinking of was another ex-WW2 Luftwaffe pilot, Erich Hartmann. The most successful fighter ace of all time, he suffered in Soviet prison camps for 10 years after WW2 until he was released and rose to command the first F-104G unit.

Conan the Librarian
2nd Sep 2006, 12:51
My guess? Johannes Steinhoff. Known as "Macky"

Conan

Cross posted with BEagle there, so looks like two votes for Macky. He was badly burned in an Me 262 accident if memory serves right.

Jobza Guddun
2nd Sep 2006, 14:35
Macki Steinhoff it is, BEags has it pretty well covered.

northernmonkey
2nd Sep 2006, 14:49
Thats the fella, many thanks gents.
I'm not sharing my hundred quid though :D