PDA

View Full Version : Euro Aviation

gann
2nd Sep 2006, 11:55
Just looking for a bit of advice regarding flying in the EU. I ll have oz CPL by Nov and have an EU passport (Irish) courtesy of the parents. I'm planning to do an bachelor of aviation next year along with ATPL subjects and wondering if life would be easier if I did a licence conversion and then JAA ATPL and tried my luck there. Advice from anyone who has has followed a similar path would be great.
Cheers

haughtney1
3rd Sep 2006, 00:24
Gann, it depends on your experience mate.

I left NZ after a stint on C172's and C206's and EMB110. I then flew in Oz for a bit on the Bandit and Dash 8, and subsequently made redundant in Oz. I then went of travelling in the UK and EU for a bit (3 years:E )...saved my money..and did the license conversion (cost me £12000 thank you very much!) 6 months later I was PIC on a Kingair 350...4 months of that and I moved into the RH seat of a 757..and now 18 months after that I'm four names short on seniority for a command course on the A320/321:ok:

My point being...if you come over here..dont expect things to happen without some bloody hard work:ok:

tinpis
3rd Sep 2006, 00:55
You do a command course without ever flying the type?:hmm:

haughtney1
3rd Sep 2006, 01:18
You do a command course without ever flying the type?

Yep, tinny, its common practice, command course...line training, final line check...then 100 hours or 40 sectors of PF only:ok:

tinpis
3rd Sep 2006, 01:25
:uhoh: best of luck......

haughtney1
3rd Sep 2006, 01:37
Tinny check your PM's:ok:

Aussie
3rd Sep 2006, 03:36
How did ya find the whole ATPL conversion? Is it as hard as its cracked up to be?

Aussie

AllInGoodTime
3rd Sep 2006, 07:53
Hi haughtney1

Do you mind telling us what sort of hours you had when you went over to the UK. Where do you think you would stand chance wise for work if someone went over there with 1000hrs total, mainly S/E piston. Obviously doing the coversion and ATPL/s.

gann
3rd Sep 2006, 10:00
The reason I'm asking is that I've heard all the usual stories of students from the UK doing their training (JAA) at some school in the US and then moving straight to EU airlines due to the lack of GA there. By the way 12000 squid to convert a licence? Thats a :mad: load.

haughtney1
3rd Sep 2006, 12:36
All in Good time......I left NZ/Oz with about 1500hrs and 350 multi PIC, and 1000 of the rest was piston single time

Aussie, no not as hard as they make it out to be, but there are 14 exams..of which 9 are tough, and dont forget the pass mark is 75%

Gann, its just the way it is here....the way you have to think about it is that a Dash 8, J31, or bizjet should be the first job you need to look at. There are lots of guys with no hours, no experience, and no clues with a 737/A320 type rating..who cant get jobs. There are other guys with a bit of a clue, and determination without having a type rating, being offered jobs right left and centre:ok: