PDA

View Full Version : Raafies

whaet
2nd Sep 2006, 06:36
Hey Guys/Gals,

Anyone aware of the number of hours they raaf guys are flying yearly/monthly/weekly these days?

Just heard a rumour it was 2 hours a week... is this correct?

A rough indication would be appreciated - considering whether to apply or not in the near future..

Cheers

whaet

Arm out the window
2nd Sep 2006, 06:51
Although it's a consideration, don't take the hours flown as the be and end all. The quality training, day/night/IFR/NVG opportunities and some unmatchable flying experiences (not always of course, but sometimes) are what you do it for, plus having a role in your country's defence (sometimes a controversial issue, of course).
That figure might be reasonable for F111, for example, but other types fly significantly more, particularly when deployed either on exercise or operations.

whaet
2nd Sep 2006, 06:56
Thanks Arm,

The quality of training and experiences are what attracts me to the raaf as a possible future career option..

But for two hours a week, it make me think twice about it...
At the end of the day all I want to do is fly - two hours a week is not a lot I'm sure you'll agree

whaet

Arm out the window
2nd Sep 2006, 07:25
Sure, but as I say, it's type specific, so it's not representative of the RAAF as a whole.
They don't fly the big hours that airlines and some GA do, and I've been out of it for a few years now, but I averaged about 350 hrs/year or thereabouts (helicopters/instructing/transport).

luvmuhud
2nd Sep 2006, 07:35
whaet,
What do you want the hours for? If you want to spend as much time as possible in the air looking at the view, then the military is not going to be the place to be. If you are thinking about post military airline options, and lack of hours aren't normally an issue unless you have spent more time in ground jobs than flying. I've averaged about 250 hours a year in my time in the RAAF (transport, fighters and instructing), but Herc mates have averaged about 500.
A smart airline will examine the quality of your hours, and most RAAF hours are pretty good quality (exceptional in the fast jet world).

Double Asymmetric
2nd Sep 2006, 14:50
Whaet,
you said
"The quality of training and experiences are what attracts me to the raaf as a possible future career option."
I would put it to you that you won't get better training, nor richer flying experiences than you will as a pilot in the RAAF. It is a quality vs quantity issue, don't just look at the hours. 200 hours/yr ripping the wings off an F18 "killing" your sqn mates (or dissimilar fighters from around the region), or 500 hours flying your C130 into unlit strips on NVGs etc etc would be pretty hard to beat.
By the time you're awarded your wings (230ish hours) you have already done advanced aeros, formation flying (including "combat" - aerobatic follow the leader), low level navigation to a target +/- 15 seconds with nothing but a stopwatch, a map and a bloody good lookout (shades of WW2)...sometimes in conjuction with another aircraft that spilts off for a while. Once you get your wings the fun really begins. You will be entrusted with extremely expensive, well maintained aircraft to do some very complicated, rewarding and important tasks.
After 15+ years I look back at my flying time in the RAAF with great fondness. You won't find better flying or camaraderie...anywhere.

As luvmuhud said, if you have a long term eye on the airlines, RAAF hours are as good as anyone's. There are no shortage of RAAFies who have, and continue to, pursue airline/flying careers after their stint in uniform.

Aussie
3rd Sep 2006, 03:41
I know the guys at 37SQN are doing about 500hrs a yr at present...

Pass_a_frozo would have a fairly accurate figure.

Aussie

Captain Sand Dune
4th Sep 2006, 02:04
I'm guilty of thread creep here, but........

I concur with AOTW and Double Assymetrics' point about quantity versus quality - to a point.
20 odd years ago guys were flying heaps more. The pointy drivers were logging ~ 300 hours/year, the rotor heads maybe a little more, and the trashy/fisheads ~ 800hours/year. In addition these hours were all of the "high quality" variety as previously pointed out.
This obviously resulted in much higher experience levels throughout the RAAF.
When I did my instructors course I had completed two tours on two types, and had ~ 2,500 hours. This was well above the minimum experience required by CFS to do instructors course. This experience level was not unusual - perhaps even a little less than the norm, as I'd just completed a brief ground job.
Jump forward to today and we see reduced flying hours and a training system that for some unfathomable reason is directed to keep pumping out new pilots at a rate the system cannot cope with. At the moment trainees are waiting about two months between finishing BFTS and starting at 2FTS. Looking at my logbook, it was about six weeks between my final handling check at 1FTS (remember 1FTS? Before "you know who" fcuked it all up!:( ) and GF1 on the Macchi at 2FTS!
Even after graduating from 2FTS our new pilots can again wait months before starting an operational conversion. This at time when their newly learnt skills are quite fragile and need consolidation.
These days candidates for instructors courses are barely meeting the (reduced!) stated minimum hours requirements, in particular PIC hours. IMHO there is little substitute for PIC experience when it comes to instructional flying. I'm seeing examples of this on an almost daily basis (e.g. junior instructors wrestling with a decision to go flying or not because of the weather).
This situation may improve as the RAAF introduces new types, bit unfortunately I fear we are stuck with a situation where pilots with less experience are flying more complex aircraft in a more demanding environment.

Barnyarddog
4th Sep 2006, 11:40
whaet,
I've averaged about 250 hours a year in my time in the RAAF (transport, fighters and instructing), but Herc mates have averaged about 500.
A smart airline will examine the quality of your hours, and most RAAF hours are pretty good quality (exceptional in the fast jet world).

Hey Luvmuhud, I thought you used to fly Hercs - did you fly fighters and Hercs all at once? Didn't I see you in 737 as well? ;)

TruBlu351
4th Sep 2006, 11:43
If you want to spend as much time as possible in the air looking at the view, then the military is not going to be the place to be.

I have to disagree. There are plenty of 10 story buildings in Canberra that provide stunning million dollar aerial views. So who needs a set of wings these days?

TruBlu351
4th Sep 2006, 11:56
whaet,

As touched on, there are pros and cons in all things. But if you decided to go down the RAAF street, you definitely won't look back :ok:

2 hours/week isn't the case.....unless you want to fly the Seasprite in the Navy :} There are things you'll do that will blow your mind. Good job security and good pay too (well, reasonable pay!!).

There are ups & downs in flying rates, but overall you'll get plenty.