PDA

View Full Version : Mine airstrips in Mt Isa vicinity

Civil Disobedience
2nd Sep 2006, 05:34
G'day

The Civil Engineering consultancy I work for has been commissioned to do a feasibility study on designing and constructing - and possibly modifying and upgrading - airstrips that service the Mines in the Mt Isa vicinity.

Trying to extract information pertaining to the existing air strips out of CASA is like 'banging your head against' the proverbial. And whilst the logical approach would be to contact the owners of these existing airstips for information, commercial sensitivity negates this. I don't want to alert existing companies that there may be a Mining Company wanting to establish themselves in their vicinity.

The information I am trying to collate is probably best proffered by someone who has first hand knowledge with these existing airstrips e.g. "Lady Annie" Mine (140km NW Mt Isa). This information I basically require is:

What is the minimimum length required to get Metro 23's and their ilk (19 seaters) in and out;
What is the biggest 'seater' I could safely get into a 1000 - 1100m strip;
Microclimates ; average density altitudes
Geometrics- anything that really needs to be factored in when designing these airstrips that haven't been considered before e.g. paved surface, or compacted fill (sorry earth) is just as good a surface for traction....etc. Drainage, surface ponding,....This thread has actually become quite verbose, and I probably lost you when you noticed that this was not your average thread. So....if you have got this far - thanks - and i hope you are able to assist with some facts, and if not maybe put me in touch with someone who could and would be the fountain of knowledge.

Many thanks and safe aviating.

ComeByChance
2nd Sep 2006, 05:58
At the temps you get out there, the Metro 23 would need between 1500 - 1700 m at MTOW. The 1900D might get away with 1400 - 1500 m. You could operate both the Metro 23 and the 1900D from a 1000 - 1100m, but it would depend on the sector length (therefore less fuel/weight), the number of pax, runway surface and obstacles in the take-off path

With regard to airstrips in the Mt Isa vicinity, there are many. Try and get a copy of the ERSA (Airservices Australia publication) or a copy of AOPA's Airports guide.

turbantime
2nd Sep 2006, 06:56
Check PM, cheers :ok:

OpsNormal
2nd Sep 2006, 10:28
Civi D. With all due respect I don't think you'll find the mining companies around Mt Isa would be too fussed about another minerals sector company "moving in" as you put it. You see I have no doubt that all of the companies that operate here all know who has their eyes on whatever lease/staked prospect etc etc, and the companies have to go through the processes of placing a mining claim to a selected patch of ground, approach and negotiate with the owner/pastoralist/community/govt etc etc, even before all of the associated infrastructure can be purchased/leased and the logistics worked out.

ComeByChance is on the money. In the wet season the density altitude and fuel requirements is what limits loads. Luckily enough there are companies that have the equipment to service these minerals sector needs and are well established and have a track record to boot. You'll also find that these companies have also had to do their own leg work and gather all of the sort of info you require here (for nothing) at some cost. You'll also find that these operators will be less than forthcoming in supplying information that cost them greatly to gain themselves (both in $$ and operational experience), therefore giving a potential rival a leg-up on them.

About the other companies airstrips unfortunately for your company many of these mine sites are run with companies that have confidentiality clauses in their contracts, so many of the operators wont tell you what you need anyway, except what is in ERSA, DAPS and JEPPS. Just about everything else around here is a station or private company aerodrome.

Your email to my company is in my work email inbox (no, you didn't send it to me personally), however by doing a bit of research (ie: phoned a friend, and had a look around at some readily available resource websites) it became apparent just who was driving this to gain utilisation of one of their group companies already established in a Northern area of this country.

It all sounds negative I know, however don't be discouraged. Just be aware that most will do what they can to protect their own interests. That's business.

OpsN.;)

Richo
2nd Sep 2006, 14:00
CD
1. First Post
2. From NZ,

Ummmmmm.

As said before, ERSA, Country Airstrip guide or RFDS for local strips. CASA does not have info on non-licenced aerodromes. Try the company that did the survey.

richo

Civil Disobedience
3rd Sep 2006, 19:13
People,

thank you all for your information, proving to be very valuable. I should elaborate that we have designed a new airstrip, but it is in the event of an alternate 'strip' should the 'designed for aircraft' need to deviate to it, and thus could the alternate cater for it.

Incidentally, I used to fly singles out of Kununurra many years ago before 'de-aviating', and hence the reason I becoming involved in these airstrip projects when they pop-up now and again. However never got to drive the turboprops so the reason why I appeal to all you sagacious ones on their SOP's.

Richo,

Not sure what you mean by your first two points, but i will tell you that this may be my first post under this pseudonym, but my other pseudonym pre-dates 2002 before I let it slide. ;)

Once again all, thank you for your feedback and suggestions.