PDA

View Full Version : Civil Aircraft circuits at MoD airfields

Jinkster
1st Sep 2006, 20:55
Just wondered if this was allowed....thanks for any help!

Jinkster :ok:

vecvechookattack
2nd Sep 2006, 08:34
Yeah, its allowed.

SirToppamHat
2nd Sep 2006, 09:34
Some civvy ac are based on and operate from mil airfields (eg Hunter Aviation at Scampton).

I would suggest you have a chat with the Senior ATC Officer (SATCO) or deputy first rather than just pitching-up though (not to say it can't be done though).

STH

green granite
2nd Sep 2006, 10:14
Used to be very common at Bedford (MOD/PE) with the local flying schools using it for visual and instrument circuits, and even PARs,

BOAC
2nd Sep 2006, 10:18
Decades ago:eek: - I used to do it with a Cesna 310, but around 1987 MOD started to get a bit 'snotty' despite having the necessary insurance and paying my fees :bored: You'd think they could do with the money!

Not sure what the situation is now, but SATCO or OCOPS should know. I certainly do NOT recommend just 'pitching up':)

FormerFlake
2nd Sep 2006, 10:26
Your best bet is to phone up the relevant tower and ask. Then it is down to luck. If there is a new controller in the ower they will be glad of the practice to help get tickets. If it a grumpy old SNCO they will probably rather watch countdown and eat doughnuts. You never can tell with the ATC types.

Ghostflyer
2nd Sep 2006, 10:29
There used to be a QR about keeping your steed (plane) at your base. There are certainly a bunch of civvy aircraft at RAF bases, most owned by RAF flying clubs but some by private individuals. I always used to enjoy trying to fit in with the jet traffic in a Lighty, full power all the way down the glideslope and land just before the turn off.

OwnNav
2nd Sep 2006, 12:03
Most Mil A/F will accept visitors, in my experience. I once flew the ILS at Waddington and received an MOD invoice through the post for £3.50 though !

I suppose that compares with my free ILS to overshoot at Finningley a few days before it closed, to the £30 odd quid for nav charges and landing at Doncaster Sheffield the other day..... :hmm:

Jinkster
2nd Sep 2006, 12:15
Does anyone know where I can get telephone numbers for the SATCO?

OwnNav
2nd Sep 2006, 12:24
Try Pooleys or Aerads, local directories usually have the number if the station is in the area, just ring and ask for Ops or Air Tragic.

L J R
2nd Sep 2006, 12:30
Jinkster,

If you do not have the ability to get the telephone number of an RAF stations OPS (without utilising this thread), You probably do not have the SA to fit into or cope with the said Mil CCT procs, and therefore you are not welcome to share the circuit with me!

A bit harsh you say??. YES....

BluntM8
2nd Sep 2006, 12:31
By the letter of the law, the MoD will have to charge you for use of it's services, even though it is MoD policy to encourage the civil use of it's airfields! I worked for a while at HQ PTC and was involved in working out how that partictular policy was to be implmented - quite a puzzle.

On the other hand, you may find that the local policy is to overlook such matters and let you crack on. Best bet is to phone and ask.