PDA

View Full Version : Advantages and Disadvantages of being CC

elivassileva
1st Sep 2006, 15:31
What are advantages and disadvantages of this profession?
I'm sure many wannabies like me, think that this job is adventurous and interesting...but still there are many disadvantages...that only experienced cc can tell us about...???

vodkaholic
2nd Sep 2006, 10:43
i think it's all down to what kind of person you are. a lot of people wonder why we work 18 hour days to serve other people and clear up sick and restock toilets and tend to our passengers every whim, but then it depends what kind of person you are. personally, i love it. and even though i am doing all of the above and more generally disgusting and boring jobs that on the ground i'd find boring. i dont mind doing them in the air.
other people leave the job because of the workinghours. be prepared to give up your social life (for me i gave up mine anyway wen i finished uni so it wasnt too much of a sacrifice) and be prepared to just sleep and do housework on your days off!
your feet will kill, you will be falling asleep as you drive home from work and sometimes you cant stop thinking about that rude rude passenger who had a go at you over something so trivial.
but it is also very rewarding to have people thank you for a wonderful flight and maybe that is what keeps us going!

ShesGreatintheGalley
2nd Sep 2006, 10:56
i agree with everything above.
GLAMOUR: working for a nice airline and walking through the airport as a crew. Having good times on your trips (if your airline does them). Saying that your a Flight Attendant (because most ppl perceive that as 'glamourous')
NOT SO GLAMOUROUS:
You will have no control over your roster or life. Get used to missing friends get togethers, birthdays, christmases, family holidays and your own birthday most probably. You will probably lose quite a few of your 'normal' friends who will find it hard to understand why you cant see them anymore/why you dont have weekends anymore etc. Its hard on your partner, being away. Its hard on your family.. when you are home you sleep.. and get food and thats about it. Then you repack, and go back to work. Even if you do manage to go out.. your generally constantly thinking about your next trip, what time you have to stop drinking, how many hours sleep you will get and what you need to do before you leave. The flying itself is draining, and the passengers can be demanding but the biggest issue most new crew find difficult is the change in their lives.. you cant have a life and insert this job into it.. you get this job and try to reassemble your life around it. Everytime your phone rings you suspect its crewing calling you in to fly even if tis your day off.....

miche2
2nd Sep 2006, 12:52
Eli - how old are you, as age does affect things, especially nowadays. Flying has changed considerably in the last 10 years and is now very much hard work. If you can get to work for an airline on a longhaul fleet, your lifestyle will be better, as you get more time downroute.

My experience on BA 747s....

The Good

1. Chance to see the world, including holidays at cheap prices and sometimes First class and business class (even though on standby travel).

2. Fantastic opportunity to meet some great people and characters.

3. A chance to boost your self-confidence, as standing in front of 150+ people is not for the weak.

4. Great sex.

The bad

1. Tiredness and lack of sleep.

2. Friends and family get sacrificed, and forget Christmas and other holidays...

3. 12hr nightflights, serving vile meals at ungodly hours of the day.

4. Poor diet.

5. Increasing disrespect from the public.

I loved my first 5 years, especially as working for an airline is a sure way to see the world and meet good people. However, after the excitement, the work becomes tedious, dull and very routine....

My advice - do it to get it out of your system, as you'll love the first few years. Enjoy!

smile
2nd Sep 2006, 12:56
Shesgreatinthegalley,

You took all the words straight out of my mouth. EXACTLY

Everytime your phone rings you suspect its crewing calling you in to fly even if tis your day off.....

I have changed the ring tone on my phone many times because of this. After a while you start to associate that tune with work and then you get agitated every time the phone rings. :ugh:

Getoutofmygalley
2nd Sep 2006, 16:13
I have changed the ring tone on my phone many times because of this. After a while you start to associate that tune with work and then you get agitated every time the phone rings. :ugh:

My phone is programmed to play a specific ring tone when crewing call me, so I know as soon as the phone rings if it is work related or not :ok:

Evita
2nd Sep 2006, 17:51
Depends what airline you choose to work with.
EK is the only airline I worked with and won't work with other airlines as my aim is to travel around the world and then change career.
So from EK crew point of view this is what I can think of:

CONS: No days or nights. The chicken or beef part. Bitchiness - if you don't know how to handle it. Living in a country with a complete different culture and laws. Not being able to have a relationship or at least a normal one. The turnarounds with EK can be quite bad. Not getting the flights you want. Flying with different crew every single flight as there's about 6000!!. Flying with some crew that just don't get it (they make it look like its rocket science) Being away for important events with your family. You can't keep in touch with all your mates. Spider veins develop overnight!! Bad for your skin. Hard to have a healthy diet. No union to protect you. Blocked ears. Your month of Reserve can be bad... really bad. Constant dry skin. Demanding, spoilt passengers. Hard to have a normal life after working as Cabin Crew. Waking up at 3am. Your work is your life.

PROS: Seeing the world and getting paid for it. Free accomodation and no bills. Good layover money (even though some are getting lower) Shopping all over the world. Chance to study part time with a discount. Your OFF days cannot get changed. Free clinic just for EK crew. Cigarettes are really cheap. Visiting your mates that live around the world. Paying 10% of the ticket for your holiday. If you take care of your job you can eventually work on Private Jets. Making new friends. Learning about different cultures. Being independant. Can experience things your mates never get to do like cage diving in SA, Sky diving in Brisbane, doing your hair in Singapore, spend 4 days in the Seychelles or Milan, have wine and cheese by the Eiffel Tower, visiting the Great Wall of China. Shop till you drop. Your nails are always manicured. Staying in Rome, Mauritius, Beijing, Perth in 2 weeks!!! Can have summer and winter several times a month. Free transport to work. Swimming pool and gym in your building. Making new friends around the world. Get the best deals around the world.

Personally I wouldn't do this job unless there were long haul flights and a wide variety of layovers. I guess you have to try it. Some take it as a career others as an opportunity to travel before settling down. Most crew that move to Dubai and leave their bf/gf behind don't last or resign within a few months. If you're single, independant and want to experience life go for it and see what doors open for you.

SuperBoy
2nd Sep 2006, 18:52
There are so many advantages and alot of disadvantages. The trick is to find the airline that suits your life the most.

Once you've done that the disadvantages become miniscule compared to the advantages.

You could opt for shorthaul only if you like the job but want to be home. (with advantages and disadvantages as stated above)

You could opt for longhaul only if you want to be away constantly and travel the world meet people etc. etc. (with advantages and disadvantages as stated above)

Or you could opt for a mixture of both.

When you go for an interview with an airline they almost always say that it is as much you choosing the airline as it is them choosing you. VERY VERY true I can tell you. It's pointless to accept a job with an airline operating on a fleet that your not happy with.

Most people who are new to the industry opt for the long haul option and I was one of them. Absolute loved it but there comes a time in some peoples lives (not all :E) that you actually want to have some time at home with friends and family etc. etc.

I am now ecstatically happy at an airline which gives me the option to choose which flights I want to operate on, LH or SH, only prob is that I have to decide a month in advance, which flights I would prefer but hey a small price to pay. (Oh and we don't cleanup sick, we provide the tools but we do not touch :p)

I hope you find your perfect airline. :O:O:O:O

Good luck!!! :ok::ok::ok::ok:

Getoutofmygalley
2nd Sep 2006, 20:02
But those courses can't guarantee you a job - and at £129.99 that can be quite an expensive let down.

There is lots of useful information in this forum that is free of charge, and I have personally helped at least 4 people get jobs with my airline over the last couple of years! :)

niklasaviator
2nd Sep 2006, 20:15
But those courses can't guarantee you a job - and at £129.99 that can be quite an expensive let down.
There is lots of useful information in this forum that is free of charge, and I have personally helped at least 4 people get jobs with my airline over the last couple of years! :)

Thats true but if you don't know about the airline industry and whether you want to fly for charter and scheduled etc and who offer permanent and seasonal contracts then CCIS are really good. I am glad you helped people. I just know how it is to REALLY want this job and want to share with people what worked for me xx

elivassileva
3rd Sep 2006, 10:47
Thank you all of you for the nice and comprehensive answers! I'm glad to tell you that I'll be a Cabin Crew soon for Emirates! I'm very happy. Thank you again for your info and making me more prepared for my new carrier!

Cheers and good luck!!!!:D ;)
Elly

vodkaholic
4th Sep 2006, 06:30
what is CCIS? is it something not in the UK because i have never heard of it.

laraj182
6th Sep 2006, 05:54
Do any cc here have long term partners and what do they think of your job?? im in the last stage of MAM recruitment and waiting for the call to say ive been rejected or the school dates .. and my partner of almost 4 years is so understanding and is so proud of me getting this far :} .. he is not the type of person to get angry/cheat on me/ or do anything out of the ordinary and he is such a loving guy we have never ever had a big argument either ... two people have just told me however that their partners have left them since their position :uhoh: i will only be doing domestic short haul in australia but i wana no from other people how their positions have hindered and bettered their relationships :) thanks

DJTibby
6th Sep 2006, 06:43
Lara, the one thing I have learned is you can never ever compare a relationship. I too have a long term thing happening and im the worrying type, i hear sad stories of cheating and breakups after 7 years etc and if I kept stressing about it I would be insane now. Every couple is compleatly different to the last. Every ones an individual right? which makes every couple totally unique and unlike any other. If you want it to last and he does, and your stressing about it, chances are it will last and you'll be fine:ok: I'd be more worried if you didn't care! hehe. Goodluck with mam sweety I hope it all works out for you! Soon your boy can say hes dating a flighty, now won't that be nice;)

Tibbz XoXo

Sylphie
6th Sep 2006, 07:30
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much Lara. :ok:

I was in an absolutely disgusting manipulative relationship a few years ago that still makes me so angry at myself when I think about it. This "man" was so unsupportive of me, not just with my FA goals but going to the shops alone! Because of his own abandonment issues from his past and without going into a massive spiel about his behaviour, it was pretty much a jealous, overprotective situation that had me for a long time trying to please him because I thought we were in love.. and eventually giving up on my own dreams, passions and hobbies. Not cool!!

After a while.. his pathetic childish demands and proven disrespect for my dreams in life made me realise it wasn't able to be saved. This was him. I kicked him to the curb. He harassed me for a long time afterward, classic obsessed sociopath.. and I eventually found love with an amaaaazing man who lets me do my thing and I have that same respect for his career and life goals.

I guess my moral to the post is that you have an amazing BF [like I do now, too] who is excited for you and that is a real sign that you guys can handle the distance and upset schedules. Your boy sounds awesome! Give him a hug for me :}

DJTibby
6th Sep 2006, 07:58
and a hug from me!:p and sylphie, your bf sounds nice too. what a nice story, well the end anyway. Yours deserves a hug from us too:)

laraj182
7th Sep 2006, 03:21
aww brings a tear to the eyes :{ im glad your happy now you deserve no one should be upset like that :) yea im really proud of the way he is taking this and just so so happy that he is excited for me and wants to through the whole process with me .. i guess just have to watch it all pass by me now .. que sera sera :)

DJTibby
7th Sep 2006, 06:27
lara keep us all updated on how mam goes! I hope you get the job sweety, goodluck:) xoxo

SuperBoy
7th Sep 2006, 17:53
Lara,

It's possible to have a ltr. I've just had my 8 year aniversary and it was GREAT. Have been flying for the past 3 years and if anything it has made my reletionship stronger.

People who say its not possible or cheat just haven't found the right man/woman for them or just aren't ready for a relationship.

If you get the job give it a go and then decide whether it is for you or not.

;);););)

Good LUCK!!!! :ok::ok::ok::ok:

apaddyinuk
7th Sep 2006, 18:02
Lots and lots and lots of advantages such as...

1. Travelling the world
2. Meeting great people
3. Being paid to do it
4. Year round tan
5. You dont need to decide what to wear for work cos they give you a uniform :ugh:
6. Experience different Cultures
7. Time off (if on longhaul)

Lots and lots and lots of Disadvantages too...

1. Crew are generally a moany lot who just complain about anything and everything
2. Airline management are always trying to cut T's & C's
3. Tiredness and lack of a sleeping pattern
4. Working through the night
5. Delhi Belly
6. The industry just does not pay well
7. Being sensitive to every economic crises
8. You see a bad side of the human race and realise that the vast majority of people have not been raised with manners and respect for people unlike yourself
9. Impossible to get leave
10. Impossible to get special holidays
11. Sickness policies are disgraceful
12...THIS LIST COULD GO ON

But dont get me wrong, I really enjoy my job!

DarkStar
8th Sep 2006, 22:35
Overheard at Compass....

...''Yes I always go food shopping in my uniform because I like people thinking I'm glamourous'':ugh:

Pro or Con? :}

or just sad :E

amowers
8th Sep 2006, 23:59
Hey guys, I will be starting (hopefully, I am waiting for the approval of my medical exams) with Emirates next month. My husband and I were both selected. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I know this is going ot be hard, but its one of both of our dreams and I think it will be great doing it together but I am afraid that there wont be a “together“anymore. What do you guys think?

MNBluestater
9th Sep 2006, 07:23
Hey guys, I will be starting (hopefully, I am waiting for the approval of my medical exams) with Emirates next month. My husband and I were both selected. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I know this is going ot be hard, but its one of both of our dreams and I think it will be great doing it together but I am afraid that there wont be a ´together´anymore. What do you guys think?

It will be hard only if there are children at home and no one to take care of them. Your children will be very dissatisfied with parents who are not there for them.

If the relationship is strong you both can survive it. Is he true to you? Are you true to him ? You will be apart a great deal, and there is always temptation to stray, there is no doubt about that. But you may get enough seniority eventually to bid the same work schedules together.

One word of caution: you both work for the same company. That's fine if the company is strong and doesn't go into bankruptcy--it's awful if it has financial problems. Be prepared to "bring your job home with you;" you guys may have to avoid talking about work while at home.

The airline industry is fickle, VERY sensitive to economic ups and downs, fuel expenses and management that can make terrible financial mistakes (expanding too rapidly or buying too many aircraft).:cool::cool::cool:

MNBluestater
9th Sep 2006, 07:29
Overheard at Compass....

...''Yes I always go food shopping in my uniform because I like people thinking I'm glamourous'':ugh:

Pro or Con? :}

or just sad :E

"Glamourous" only if the flight attendant doesn't look haggard from a 3 day trip with inadequate crew rest.

If the person puts on his/her uniform on their DAY OFF to go food shopping, they are mentally ill.

MNBluestater
9th Sep 2006, 07:39
What are advantages and disadvantages of this profession?
I'm sure many wannabies like me, think that this job is adventurous and interesting...but still there are many disadvantages...that only experienced cc can tell us about...???

Plusses:
1. Seeing the world
2. Free or reduced travel, major discounts for airline employees at hotels, car rentals, resorts, shopping around the world, etc.
3. Flying to sunny destinations on a whim during the winter months.
4. Being perceived in a glamourous career.
5. Knowing that you have the ability to administer first aid, do CPR, get a heart pumping again, put out a fire, inflate a life raft, and evacuate an airplane in 90 seconds or less.

Cons:
1. Seeing the world with no friends or family to go along, but with other crewmembers, some of whom you would rather push off of a cliff sometimes. Trips with friends and family need to be planned for, they can only go when everyone else in the world can go (weekends and holidays), and travel is on standby--you may get on the flight or not. Does not work well with more than one other person going with you.

2. Free or reduced travel, discounts for employees, shopping around the world, WITH NO MONEY IN YOUR BUDGET TO DO SO, because of the low pay.

3. Flying to sunny destinations on a whim during the winter months, when everyone else is and the planes are packed.

4. Realizing that the glamourous part of the career only consists of walking through the airport in uniform with your crew, or doing the emergency demo (if the aircraft doesn't have a video).

5. Knowing that you have the ability to administer first aid, do CPR, get a heart pumping again, put out a fire, inflate a life raft, and evacuate an airplane in 90 seconds or less, BUT NO ONE IN THE CABIN RECOGNIZES THIS.

6. After two or three years, the same-old, same-old. How many times can you tolerate someone responding "what do you have ?," after you have asked politely "would you care for a beverage?" and have 200 other passengers to get to.

7. After two or three years, no longer being thrilled by a free hotel room on layovers and you don't care if you are at a five-star Sheraton, Hilton, Crowne Plaza, Marriott, DoubleTree, or whatever, you just want a room that doesn't smell like smoke, has decent pillows and isn't near the ice machine.

8. Many airlines don't serve much of anything anymore, taking away a lot of "challenge" you may have had from providing good service. Pillows, blankets, magazines, full meal service, after-meal mints, kiddie wings, etc. have all gone away. The airlines just care about making money any way that they can during flights.

Finally, the job is not for those who want to learn more educationally, you have to do that on your own outside of work.

MNBluestater
9th Sep 2006, 08:01
serve other people and clear up sick and restock toilets

Why are you working for an airline that requires you to do this ? STOP ! Let the airline hire some people to do that...like aircraft cleaners. HELLO?

ShesGreatintheGalley
9th Sep 2006, 08:41
Why are you working for an airline that requires you to do this ? STOP ! Let the airline hire some people to do that...like aircraft cleaners. HELLO?

stop? just like that? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
my airlines policies require me to do the above.. cleaners onboard are a last resort and forms have to be filled in an signed for if the cleaners are called.
i would love to just 'stop' and wait for the company to bring in cleaners.. but it aint gonna happen.. more than likely i would end up a cleaner somewhere else if i lost my job for not doing my job.

MNBluestater
9th Sep 2006, 10:11
stop? just like that? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
my airlines policies require me to do the above.. cleaners onboard are a last resort and forms have to be filled in an signed for if the cleaners are called.
i would love to just 'stop' and wait for the company to bring in cleaners.. but it aint gonna happen.. more than likely i would end up a cleaner somewhere else if i lost my job for not doing my job.

Options:
1. Find another company to work for where the flight attendants don't have to do that kind of work ... c'mon restocking and cleaning a lav, or cleaning up vomit doesn't make sense for someone who is supposed to be serving passengers with their hands and sleeves.
2. What would happen if you DON'T restock a lav ? Seriously. Is there some quality control person who comes on the aircraft with a clipboard ? Set the supplies in there for the passengers and let them get their own. They are big boys and girls.

Trishaturbulance
10th Sep 2006, 09:19
Con:

NEVER EVER being granted annual leave at christmas or during the summer school holidays, but your other half works in education and only ever gets his leave during christmas and summer school holidays.......:sad: :sad: :ugh:

vodkaholic
10th Sep 2006, 13:42
of course the cleaners CLEAN the toilets, but when you're 39,000 feet in the air it's a bit difficult to just call a cleaner to call up other peoples sick! lol

justsmile!
11th Sep 2006, 08:02
I havent cleaned up vomit yet in the three years i have been in this job, but that is just pure LUCK that i haven't been in the wrong place at the wrong time (which of course no one can predict this!)
And when i have noticed it in a toilet we just block off the toilet for the rest of the flight. Of course if someone does it in the middle of the galley (happened to me, i dodged it and got out of the way JUST in the nick of time!) of course it has to be cleaned then and there. Yuck:{