View Full Version : Air Asia

El Lobo Solo
1st Sep 2006, 07:11
Hi, I'm new here. First post.

Just curious if anyone has any info on Air Asia. If I understand correctly, they're based in Malaysia and have subsidiaries in Thailand and Indonesia.

Do they hire for the Thai and Indo bases separately? How is QOL? Commuting from another Asian country (hopefully an Air Asia destination) possible?

Thanks for any intel. I'm just in the first stages of looking for something in South East Asia.

El Lobo Solo
6th Sep 2006, 07:35
Anyone? Kinda quiet here..........

dekka007
6th Sep 2006, 07:50
Good luck....I gave up with Air Asia couldnt get a foot in the door.

I think now if you aint a Thai national you can forget Thai Air Asia and perhaps if you aint malaysian the other door is closed now as well.

mingalababya
6th Sep 2006, 09:55
Thai Air Asia has now got their own pilot cadet training scheme underway so I'd doubt whether they'll be recruiting non Thai nationals. Same goes for Orient Thai and Bangkok Airways as well.

Kapt
6th Sep 2006, 10:24
Thai Air Asia has now got their own pilot cadet training scheme underway so I'd doubt whether they'll be recruiting non Thai nationals. Same goes for Orient Thai and Bangkok Airways as well.
You can get a job with Orient Thai, but you have to be rated on the MD-82, B-747-200 or the B-757. There is many expats with Orient Thai hardly any Thais. As for Bankok Air they have be looking for ATR rated capt with 500h on type. I meet one scandinavian who was working at Bankok Air. But for Air Asia forget it. Good luck

b747heavy
6th Sep 2006, 10:35
You can get a job with Orient Thai, but you have to be rated on the MD-82, B-747-200 or the B-757. There is many expats with Orient Thai hardly any Thais. As for Bankok Air they have be looking for ATR rated capt with 500h on type. I meet one scandinavian who was working at Bankok Air. But for Air Asia forget it. Good luck

I doubt that there are many Expats left on the Classic.....maybe only one or two??? There are several on the 757 but I know many of those are ready to run....as for the MD82...this fleet was started with expats who were flown till they droped, they left...they interviewed some 24 locals (260 TT) pilots for FO positions and were doing in-house type ratings (so I heard)?

I believe that there are now locals on all fleets...(please understand that I have nothing against the locals....I am just pointing out the changes between expat and local use of pilots over the last couple of years)

They have been advertising, but I am not sure what kind of responses they received....for any that do go there....enjoy it for what you can get out it and nothing more....expect no loyalty, give no loyalty...be there for your own reasons.

Cheers....:ok:

Kapt
6th Sep 2006, 10:48
I doubt that there are many Expats left on the Classic.....maybe only one or two??? There are several on the 757 but I know many of those are ready to run....as for the MD82...this fleet was started with expats who were flown till they droped, they left...they interviewed some 24 locals (260 TT) pilots for FO positions and were doing in-house type ratings (so I heard)?

I believe that there are now locals on all fleets...(please understand that I have nothing against the locals....I am just pointing out the changes between expat and local use of pilots over the last couple of years)

They have been advertising, but I am not sure what kind of responses they received....for any that do go there....enjoy it for what you can get out it and nothing more....expect no loyalty, give no loyalty...be there for your own reasons.

Cheers....:ok:
Til about six mths a go most Classic came from The Phillipines, Ex Philliphine Airlines the once that went on strike a few years back. And got the boot when the Airline was sold.

b747heavy
6th Sep 2006, 10:57
Til about six mths a go most Classic came from The Phillipines, Ex Philliphine Airlines the once that went on strike a few years back. And got the boot when the Airline was sold.
That's true....there was a large group of Philliphine crew a few years ago. they split into two...one group went to Phuket Air, the other stayed at OT. There was then a large mix of crew from many different areas of the world. This has changed yet again, with most these days being Philliphine or Indonesian and now Thai.

It depended on the fleet you were on....The 747 had the most diverse group of crew, whilst the 757 was mainly American and Canadian and the MD82 was again a mix, but the majority (in the beginning) were all from the same background.

:)

PK-KAR
7th Sep 2006, 16:56
Indonesia Air Asia only hires locals... a few are from Air Asia (Malaysia) but Indos... Expat hirings in Indonesia is more or less frozen for Part121 ops or 135 with 121 type supplement ops.

PK-KAR

El Lobo Solo
7th Sep 2006, 19:22
Thanks for all the input everyone. Interesting stuff.

Indonesia Air Asia only hires locals... a few are from Air Asia (Malaysia) but Indos... Expat hirings in Indonesia is more or less frozen for Part121 ops or 135 with 121 type supplement ops.
PK-KAR
Bummer. I was hoping to move to Indo next year and fly while I'm there. Batavia, Lion, Wings Air. It didn't matter which one. Guess I'll have to wait tables instead.

Aloha.

PK-KAR
9th Sep 2006, 03:18
Flying for Batavia, Adam, Lion and Wings will seriously affect your health! Expect hitting your monthly limit every month... and all for <3000USD a month for Captains! I think the only positions left for non-locals are the Part 135 operators with very specific needs.

PK-KAR

bluepacific
10th Sep 2006, 09:58
Does anyone have info on what an expat Capt would get with Air Asia ?
Cheers.
BP

ExMAS
10th Sep 2006, 10:08
I believe it's the same pay for the same job.

It's an equal opportunity employer.

bluepacific
10th Sep 2006, 10:35
Thats fine, but what do they get ?
PM me if you want to.
Cheers.
BP

Chill
10th Sep 2006, 16:40
Thats fine, but what do they get ?
PM me if you want to.
Cheers.
BP

Depending on your flight hours, something in the vicinity of RM14-15K after tax as a line captain (not a TRI/TRE). No other allowances other than 8 "free" tickets and ID25 on company flights only (ID90 supposed to be coming for the last year) :hmm:

Left Wing
13th Sep 2006, 13:59
try Lion Air,....well run and safe ops...getting 60 new NGs need pilots badly.

PK-KAR
13th Sep 2006, 16:29
Lion Air? Well run and safe ops? You're kidding me right?
Need pilots badly and is now recruiting waves of foreign crew (nothing against them)? Unless they've bought a new mercedes for the director of air communication or can tell us where you heard this, I find it a bit hard to chew.

60 planes, sure, but they'll get them from their current pilot pool and try to head hunt locals by offering big transfer fees, accelerated seniority program, a car, and a huge bond to buy your soul with... Though I hear of improvements in their working conditions, so far there's nothing running around the crew rooms about them requiring the NG pilots (even the cabin crew) in few large waves or even significantly bigger intakes apart from rumours that have been circulating since last year when they announced the initial 30 plane order. Even if they do open up for foreign pilots, it'll be a single non-extendable contract under the current "rules".

PK-KAR