http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=2373830

OpenCirrus619
1st Sep 2006, 07:23
See also: http://www.perlanproject.com/

OC619

oscarh
1st Sep 2006, 09:58
Fantastic :D !
Could anybody here enlighten me as to the technique of descending a glider from that altitude with all the potential aerodynamic problems.
Thanks.
Oscar.

pheeel
1st Sep 2006, 10:27
He said he and Enevoldson, a former NASA test pilot, rode in a lightweight, unpressurized glider named "Perlan" Norwegian for "pearl" which was released from a tow plane at 13,000 feet.

That's one expensive launch!

ATC Watcher
1st Sep 2006, 13:19
That's one expensive launch!

I doubt they took off from sea level in the Andes, , but even if they did , Fosset has the money for that I guess !

Congrats nevertheless, my own max alt was almost 25.000 ft over the Pyrennees in a Breguet 904 , a wooden glider many, many years ago, and the only thing I remember is that it was bloody cold....Now you are restricted below FL195 nearly everywhere...

ATC Watcher
1st Sep 2006, 13:22
Fantastic :D !
Could anybody here enlighten me as to the technique of descending a glider from that altitude with all the potential aerodynamic problems.
Thanks.
Oscar.
To descend is quite simple, you pull the airbrakes. The time it takes however is another question..
Another technique , when you are in the mountain waves, which they were obviously, is to look for the " down " side of the wave, and there it can go very fast....

oscarh
3rd Sep 2006, 12:08
ATC Watcher
Because I've never flown an aircraft above FL390, I don't have that sort of experience. I would have thought there would be compressibility problems to look out for in the descent and the thought of simply pulling a glider airbrake at such a height must be problematic indeed! Frightens me anyway...
Oscar

Jetstream Rider
3rd Sep 2006, 12:13
Compressibility is usually more to do with speed than altitude. Below about Mach 0.3 you can disregard it in most circumstances. Gliders fly at much less than that, so I doubt it is a problem.

forkingfishing
6th Sep 2006, 07:18
Wow this is an absolute amazing record, this will be hard to beat! Regarding aerodynamic problems with descending a glider from this altitude, its quite correct what jr says very low speeds not a big issue.

SHKpilot
6th Sep 2006, 14:54
The other way to decend a glider from that height would be to intentionally spin. Depending on the glider he used, the majority are extremely stable in a prolonged spin, also 300-600' per turn would be easily lost.