PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Galactic pilot requirements issued to VB pilots

Bypass ratio
31st Aug 2006, 15:38
“Fly me to the moon and let me bathe amongst the stars”. (Frank Sinatra)
YOUR MISSION …SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT:

Virgin Blue is currently accepting
Expressions of Interest from any pilot currently employed
by Virgin Blue who is interested in applying to be part of commercial space travel history in
the role of Pilot Astronaut on secondment from Virgin Blue to Virgin Galactic.
��

Are you willing to move (with your family) to the USA (New Mexico) for the 27 month
secondment?
��

Are you physically fit and able to carry out the duties of a pilot astronaut?
��

Do you have a minimum of 500 hours on Virgin Blue’s 737NG aircraft? and
��

Do you have a strong performance record with Virgin Blue (i.e., no disciplinary actions
raised against you in the last 6 months)?
If you can answer “YES” to all of the above, apply now by completing an Expression of
Interest (EOI) form. The form is located on the Virgin Blue intranet at: Flight Ops / Forms,
Documents & Reports / Administrative / Forms / Virgin Galactic EOI.
Your completed EOI must be received at Flight Ops Admin by close of business on

13th
October 2006.
Further details are found on the EOI Form.
The Virgin Galactic team are keen to continue the selection process in the future and hope
to take on 2 Pilot Astronauts from the Virgin Blue Flight Crew team every 9 months.
Good luck to those that apply.:)
Regards,

UNOME
31st Aug 2006, 17:26
Sounds like fun and lotsa hard work..!:ok:

I bet those direct entry Capts from the RAAF put their hands up.:}

Toluene Diisocyanate
31st Aug 2006, 19:47
Does anyone know how much the self-funded rating will cost?

Buster Hyman
31st Aug 2006, 23:08
Maybe their new slogan could be...

" In space, no one can hear you scream!"

oldhasbeen
31st Aug 2006, 23:15
Another one for the cronies and wannabee's:mad:

Bugsmasha
1st Sep 2006, 00:42
Great post Old! Seems very fitting of your username. Too old and green eyed.

G Cantstandya
1st Sep 2006, 02:13
I wonder if NASA will start charging their astronauts for space shuttle endorsements after the VB get the ball rolling in the space race!!:ugh: :ugh:

Al E. Vator
1st Sep 2006, 03:44
What a miserable bunch of whinging naysaying old sheilas you lot are! Recognise something fascinating for what it is.

Have trawled Pprune for years and continuously shaken my head at the misery perpetuated by the keyboard experts. 'Virgin Blue will never start', 'Impulse will never get jets', blah blah blah.

It's a wonder anybody achieves anything in this country with underachieving sentiments like these. And we wonder why the profession of pilot is going down the drain?

Capt Claret
1st Sep 2006, 03:56
Hear, hear, Al.

It's getting harder and harder to find wit and erudidity amongst the, negativity of the glass half empty brigade. :(

Pluto's gone
1st Sep 2006, 04:19
Have to agree with the last 2 posts. What an AWESOME opportunity some lucky buggers gunna get!

I reckon just about all of us would secretly cut of the left one for a go, hell a Yankee paid the Ruskis MILLIONS to go into space.

Somehows me dont think you'll be payen for an endo however if any of you whinging smucks get through you should be made to!

Good luck to all that apply, wish I could!

And remember ... The force will be with you.........

:)

Gnadenburg
1st Sep 2006, 04:42
Well I'm a glass half full kinda guy; but I can't help wondering whether Virgin Blue will belittle the astronaut profession as they have done the airline profession. :)

Will it be the best man for the job on prior qualifications? Or will the well set precedent of nepotism at VB put forth a likely list of lunatics and daddy's boys?

Capt Claret
1st Sep 2006, 04:49
Good heavens, is it only LCC who suffer with nepotism? ;)

Mr.Buzzy
1st Sep 2006, 04:51
You have to be going for a windup gardenberger!
Nepotism and QF????.... Hello???
Anyways, how is the A330 prep. going? Or will you be starting on the A320 first?

bbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz

Gnadenburg
1st Sep 2006, 04:58
You have to be going for a windup gardenberger!
Nepotism and QF????.... Hello???
Anyways, how is the A330 prep. going? Or will you be starting on the A320 first?
bbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz

After that outburst Buzzy, you'd be on the lunatics list. C'mon we've all got the inside goss at VB- my money is on a Daddy's Boy to get a slot.

Aussie
1st Sep 2006, 06:27
I guess they arent giving the poor FOs a shot at the title? :uhoh:

Aussie

Roger Standby
1st Sep 2006, 10:46
Reckon I'd give my left one, a couple of toes and maybe even a finger or two. Might even throw in the missus.

Can't believe some folks knocking this idea. You'll be the first in line for a shot when the whole thing is commercially viable.

R.S.

Hugh Jarse
1st Sep 2006, 10:57
You can give up your job;

You can give up your wife;

But you NEVER give up your balls.:ugh:

Sort of like paying for training:rolleyes:

yowie
1st Sep 2006, 11:36
Gee I know a few in VB who would reckon they've got the 'right stuff":cool: Sounds like aerosexual heaven:p

ComeByChance
1st Sep 2006, 12:05
Aussie, FO's can apply, the requirement is to have 500 hours (not command) on the B737NG. So any FO who has been there for more than 8 months would have the required hours.

What about giving the Flight Attendants a shot, the girls who were in FHM a few years back would be a good start. Having the FA's on board may spice up the space flight a little.

Lord Snot
1st Sep 2006, 18:25
I hope the VB drivers have all done their high school physics because it's too good an opportunity to miss just because of slacking at school 10 or so years ago.

Meanwhile, what about the hosties? Even those old ex-Ansett boilers they hired a while back might look okay again in zero-G.... smooth out the wrinkles and lift up sagging assets.... :ok:

But I still say it's snot "Galactic" if they can't even make a full orbit of the earth!!!!

Not a nay-sayer, it'll be ****-loads better than the shark-patrol or 7hrs bored ****less up to Honkers.

"In space, no one can hear you cream..."

murgatroid
2nd Sep 2006, 06:25
Latest news:

Jetstar pilot group have agreed to modify their EBA to include "Galactic" type.

What's more they will do it for no more than wide-body pay.

Sorry VB, you've been undercut.