PDA

View Full Version : PPL CPL at HAI Florida Anyone been/advice

dr_peter
31st Aug 2006, 15:19
I am 30 and looking to move jobs, I have been looking into becoming a Pilot, for some time now.
Fix wing does not "float my boat" as much as rotary.

I am in the UK and the cost saving in going to Florida are quite a lot.
I would love to work in EMS but north sea work would be good too.

I have been reading about how so many flight schools just want your money and you should only pay them as and when, never up front.

What happens if you fail an exam, can you just retake it?

If/when I pass I plan to do my IR. If/when I have that can I get a job 150-200H?
What sort of money would I expect to earn?

Can I build up my hours doing navigations or something in a fixed wing if I trained in rotary?

Thanks guys
Peter

Bravo73
31st Aug 2006, 16:31
Try finding the 'Training FAQ' thread in the Rotorheads Forum.

All of your answers will be in there.

But in short:

What happens if you fail an exam, can you just retake it?

Yes. But your number of retakes might be limited.

If/when I pass I plan to do my IR. If/when I have that can I get a job 150-200H?

Onshore: no. Offshore: maybe. (But at your age, especially once you've finished training: probably not).

What sort of money would I expect to earn?

IF, and it's a very big if, you did get a job as a NS FO: low £30s

Can I build up my hours doing navigations or something in a fixed wing if I trained in rotary?

No. They are different licenses.

These are obviously only very brief answers. You'll find the rest of what you're looking for (and like-minded addicts) in Rotorheads. See you there.

HTH,

B73

B2N2
2nd Sep 2006, 12:06
Peter, it will save you a lot of money if you do your fixed wing licenses first.
PPl-IR-CPL SE then helicopter CPl add-on and heli IR add-on.
The advantage also being dual rated.
AFAIK heli is still about twice as expensive as fixed wing training, even in the USA. It will also give you a lot more choice in schools to go to initially.
Here is an online version of the US regulations;
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?sid=95b553e34006ca0396cf7cdf600bf1ab&c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14cfrv2_02.tpl

Check the following parts; 61.129 (c) for the flight time requirements.