PDA

View Full Version : Cairns ATIS

prop-wash
31st Aug 2006, 13:11
Hi all, hope you enjoy the new computerised ATIS transmission in Cairns. It will also mean that ATC will not be required to give a time check with the taxi clearance, but that may take a little time to get out of the habit of.

Cheers,
P-W

Capt Claret
31st Aug 2006, 13:37
I

hope

it's

not

the

Dar

win

ATIS

which

is

so

slow

one

al

most

goes

to

sleep

wait

ing

for

it

to

finish.

As

well

as

trunc

ating

some

words

so

that

if

one

antic

ipates

one

is

sure

to

get

it

wrong. :{

Capn Bloggs
31st Aug 2006, 14:13
The passing of an era. The clearest ATIS around, it t'was.

As for DRW: :yuk:

Blip
31st Aug 2006, 18:09
Ah Capt Claret that made me laugh. It's all so true!

Arm out the window
31st Aug 2006, 20:46
I hope they still program in the funny stuff such as I heard the other week (done by MK I think, re WIP) 'Men with tools in hand in the undershoot of rwy 15' ...

Unhinged
31st Aug 2006, 22:28
Guess the people who have had to record it will be rightly happy, but a sad day for me :-( It was always the first heads-up of the day as to who was on atc/gnd so we could make the taxi calls appropriately :-))

What will it say the next time there's a tower fire ? You better still do "men with tools in hand", and the other gems we like to hear !

Dave Incognito
1st Sep 2006, 06:48
Maybe I'm just a deaf b@stard but i swear our old mate Stephen Hawking said "I'm the morning DJ" on information Tango this morning. Playing around with the new toy guys? ;)

Black Maria
1st Sep 2006, 09:03
Had me finish the day ROFLMAO. Sounded like a MEXICAN version of the old TV show Perfect Matches robot Dextor, especially when it gave the vis,

"... keelomeeeeetors veesabiility".

Will certainly miss the personalities but that was a gem. :)

Albizia
1st Sep 2006, 11:24
The fun police are circling, but we'll do our best!

fixa24
2nd Sep 2006, 05:50
I hope they still program in the funny stuff such as I heard the other week (done by MK I think, re WIP) 'Men with tools in hand in the undershoot of rwy 15' ...
Wasn't MK.. Rockvegas has a rwy 15 though..;)

Arm out the window
2nd Sep 2006, 06:53
Not that MK, the air trafficker with those initials at the certain northern coastal city in question!

Unhinged
13th Sep 2006, 23:10
Ok, everyone else has gone quiet, so I'll say it ...

After two weeks of listening to the alternate versions of the electronically generated voice and the human-recorded-words-stitched-together they're both total rubbish. My el cheapo pc is light years ahead in generating understandable English words and then putting them together in a way that sounds vaguely normal.

In 10 minutes the other day I heard three native English speakers tell Ground they didn't know which ATIS they'd received, or have a guess and get it wrong. We do get the occasional non-native English speaker at Cairns, how do they deal with this ? Badly, let me tell you !

I'm guessing that the wonderful people in Cairns ATC had this lame "technology" forced on them from Canberra. Send it back in a box, I say !

Capn Bloggs
14th Sep 2006, 02:41
Why oh why isn't it the same "yank" as at all the other places? Is he too busy?

Capt Claret
14th Sep 2006, 02:59
I suspect it's the FNQers trying for a little individuality. Of the half dozen times I've been through since the change, there's been an A-merican, a Mexican, a woman, a male. The Mexican seems most prolific. :}

topdrop
14th Sep 2006, 05:18
As noted above a few different voices are avbl. I understand that Cairns ATC have faulted the ATIS as not fit for purpose and are waiting to see what will be done about it. :ugh:

RENURPP
14th Sep 2006, 05:44
If I may make a suggestion, lets get "G'day Matey" to allow her voice to be used. A very pleasant sound it is. :O

king oath
14th Sep 2006, 07:49
Never mind the ATIS, how about getting that Flow control computer to work so you can stop stuffing everyone around with this "Go fast, now slow down, now go fast, nope slow down." crap. Speeding up inside 30 to run ain't going to make a poofteenth of difference to the arrival time. The going fast bit needs to happen earlier.

Maybe the flow hasn't turned up for work for a while.

transonic dragon
18th Sep 2006, 01:21
Maybe I'm just a deaf b@stard but i swear our old mate Stephen Hawking said "I'm the morning DJ" on information Tango this morning. Playing around with the new toy guys? ;)

For those who haven't yet come across Prof Hawking's other moonlighting job, check out www.mchawking.com . Turns out he's a gangsta rapper too. For the funniest thing you've ever heard, download "F*** the Creationists". :}

PS not for those easily offended by naughty words:= , or deeply christian folk, or PC persons. Of course this is aviation, so none of those warnings apply cos we're all hard bastards...

Shitsu_Tonka
18th Sep 2006, 03:01
Flow Control Computer?

You mean this?:

http://www.skylines.com.au/product_images/2405.gif